Electrical Question - Deer Camp Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Question - Deer Camp Setup

I need some advice from the electricians on the board. We just purchased a travel trailer for our lease and need to hook up electrical service from the camp pole. Currently there are 3- 30 Amp breakers at the breaker box. We plan on installing another 30 amp breaker for our trailer. Our trailer will be around 50-100 feet from the breaker box on the pole. Our trailer has no DC lights; they were all converted to A/C by the previous owner. I don't know the total amps for the trailer (window unit A/C, lights, etc), but the previous owner hooked up to a 30 amp breaker and was fine.

What gauge wire should we run? Should we set up a box to plug our trailer into, or tie in directly to the breaker box? I'd rather not dig a trench, so can we run wire above ground, or will the mice and rats chew through it?

Any suggestions on a good set up are appreciated! Thanks!

10 GA wire is rated for 30 amps. hooking it straight to the breaker would probably be the best.

Comment

#10 THHN for 30amps. I would run SJ cable minimum, SO cable for durability. You will need a 10/3 cable(Hot, neutral, ground). I would mount a weather proof receptical box under your load center to plug into.

Comment

I'm not a sparky but if you are going to be on this lease a while or not, run the cord through PVC conduit and bury it. Doesn't have to be deep. This will protect it from any rodent destruction. Friggin squirrels

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
          #10 THHN for 30amps. I would run SJ cable minimum, SO cable for durability. You will need a 10/3 cable(Hot, neutral, ground). I would mount a weather proof receptical box under your load center to plug into.
          Yep

I'd also add a GCFI breaker if possible if the trailer receptacles are not already.

Comment

Jason knows electricity and coyotes!

Comment

Let me know if you need the materials to do this, I dont know how far this is from Home of Texas Champions Katy Tigers, but give me a call I have the 10ga wire, one inch PVC etc 832-660-3697 Joel

Comment

Appreciate the comments, fellas!

I understand the reasoning on burying the line in conduit, but what if I ran conduit above ground (metal vs. PVC)? Would that work? No vehicles will be traveling over the wire.

Joel, I'm up in DFW and lease is out west, so thanks for the offer but it's not cost effective for me to head down there for the materials you have.

Comment

You could put the conduit on top of the ground.

Comment

50- 100 feet on top of the ground wont hurt ....mines been on top the ground for 3 years and no issues yet

Comment

If it were my setup, I would go #8 on the wire size because of the distance if it's close to 100'.

And I would put in PVC & wire underground. Set a weatherproof receptacle an plug the trailer into it in case something went wrong you could at least unplug it.

Here is a wire size calculator.

Load Center Calc with Voltage Drop.xls

Comment

Just run THHN like someone stated above. If you buy 10/3, you will have an extra wire! 10/2 is all that's needed if you go that route. The ground is a given thus not counted. 10/2 will have a black,white and ground. I would run the wire in pvc or conduit as well.

Comment

No problem I thought maybe you were closer, the install could be done various ways and simple being a deer lease and all.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post

X2
                            SO is the way to go

Comment

Are there any problems associated with running SO cable through PVC conduit?

Comment

Working...
                              X