Talking my dad out of selling his .270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking my dad out of selling his .270

My dad has decided he wants to get a couple bucket list hunts in before he’s too old. Elk is the primary (and largest animal), he seems to think now that he needs to either get a magnum or sell his .270 to get a “do all” caliber.

I’m trying to tell him a .270 will work for everything he wants to hunt, elk, mule deer, white tail, prong horn but he is wanting to sell his rifle and get a 7mm mag as his do all

Any better caliber suggestions? Or should I just get him to upgrade his optics and stick with the .270. It’s just a rem 700, his dream rifle has always been a weatherby mark v in .257wby but don’t know that will work for what he would want as a one gun solution

And for those saying just get another... that was my first suggestion and for some reason he is wanting to either get rid of the .270 or give it to me to do something with rather that add something else to the safe

Any advice is appreciated, I’ve only hunted deer and pigs in Texas and the .270 or 6.5cm has worked so I’m no help to him on real world input

Type of luck I have I'd convince him .270 is just fine then he'd go out and lose a world record animal on one of his bucket lists hunts and blame the rifle and me for changing his mind!

Comment

The 270 will get the job done. The 270 has killed far bigger animals than a elk. A little google search and you can read stories of the big game taken with the ole 270.

Comment

Are you trying to get your hands on the 270 at some point down the road? What is the point in trying to talk him out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by jsctx84 View Post
          Are you trying to get your hands on the 270 at some point down the road? What is the point in trying to talk him out of it?
          No, it’s not a sentimental gun. He just said he thinks he needs something different and asked my opinion, I said no reason to change from what has worked and it’s plenty for what he wants to do. Just didn’t know if there really was a better all around caliber that would justify the change, imo for a couple elk hunts and deer and pigs in Texas a .270 check’s the box

Unless I can talk him in to the 2020 APR build, or giving them his .270 as a donor action since he lives down the street and doing something on a long action build

Comment

The .270 is plenty for a do all North America cartridge. I knew a guy that was a pretty accomplished elk hunter, he told me that he always used a .270. He said the trick is that when you pull the trigger you holler “7 mag” and the elk get confused and think they’ve been shot by a 7 mag and fall over dead. As accomplished as he was you could only believe about half of what he said! That said, if your dad wants an excuse to buy a new rifle that’s about as good as any!

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
              No, it’s not a sentimental gun. He just said he thinks he needs something different and asked my opinion, I said no reason to change from what has worked and it’s plenty for what he wants to do. Just didn’t know if there really was a better all around caliber that would justify the change, imo for a couple elk hunts and deer and pigs in Texas a .270 check’s the box

Unless I can talk him in to the 2020 APR build, or giving them his .270 as a donor action since he lives down the street and doing something on a long action build
              If it's not a sentimental gun and he wants and can afford a new gun, let him have fun trading/shopping/buying a new gun, etc....

Comment

The 257wby is fine for elk with today's good bullets...if he can afford it, suggest he go out & get set up with a new rig before getting rid of ole reliable.

This will avoid any sellers remorse & who doesn't need a back up gun anyway.

Comment

buy your dad this book by Jack O'Connor. Then spend some $ and upgrade his rifle starting with the stock. JOC is the father of the .270 and helped maintain it's popularity.

First thing I would do is hand load to see if the rifle is a shooter. Based on results will confirm if it qualifies to re-barrel with a custom match grade barrel.

new barrel and stock would make that rifle shoots lights out, if it doesn't already.

I've see way to many people sell nice rifles for a new chambering and the upgraded rifle shoots worse than the original.

Comment

I would not be able to talk him out of a .257. Tell him Vanguard rifles now come with a 26” barrel like the Mark V’s. Several people have used 100 grain Barnes on elk on another forum I get on. They also load 120 grain Partitions. I like the .257 wby.

Comment

Don't even try to talk him out of getting a new gun. If he wants a new gun I think he needs a new gun.

Comment

Let him get a new gun.
                        7 mags kill elk just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                          his dream rifle has always been a weatherby mark v in .257wby but don’t know that will work for what he would want as a one gun solution

Let the old man have fun and take him to the gunstore to buy a new rifle!!

Comment

A .257 Weatherby would kill an elk just as well as a .270. Let him get one, but definitely don't talk him down to a Vanguard if he wants a real Weatherby in Mark V. Completely different rifles shooting the same bullets. Get the Mark V.

Comment

If he wants a mag, let him get it. That said, I would go .308. I currently have a 7 mag, but next year will go to a .308 for our rifle elk hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X