What species of hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What species of hawk?

This hawk has been hanging around my backyard for the last few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken hawk or red shoulder hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks to be a red-shouldered hawk. Used to have a nesting pair at my grandparent's house. Every time I would squirrel hunt around them, one would steal my squirrel before I could pick it up after shooting it. Neat birds.

Comment

Red-shouldered---one of many species called "chicken hawk" like the rat snakes which have acquired the name "chicken snake"

Comment

Cool birds!
          I had a pair of kite hawks nest in a cluster of oaks next to our home.
          It was cool for the first month but after the chicks hatched the noise was irritating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kite hawk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	24629797

Comment

Backyard hawks are cool to watch making a living in the city, with songbirds being a staple item on their menu.

Big Al, a pair of Mississippi kites shows up in my neighborhood every year. They nest in the tallest pine tree around and usually raise two or three chicks. It is amazing to watch the parents teach the chicks to catch and eat cicadas and dragonflies in flight. Cool birds.

Comment

Frontal shot please.

Comment

Speaking of kites I was testing a reel I had rebuilt and was casting an old plug with no hooks down the driveway. As I was reeling it in a kite swooped down and picked it up and tried to fly off with it. He did it on a couple of casts then flew back up in a tree and just sat there glaring at me. Cool birds.

Comment

Was riding the bike this morning in the neighborhood, which is two parallel streets with pastures and dove hunting on either side. Saw a whitewing fly across the street in front of us with a red-shouldered hawk in pursuit. Dove took a dive at the base of a privacy fence and the hawk flew on over. Didn't stick around to see the end. Dove appeared to have been wounded and was not fully capable.

Comment

I like it when we have hawks around, I keep rooting for them to catch squirrels. I root for anything, hawks, owls, rat snakes, to catch squirrels and eat them.

Lately we have had some hawks around, making a lot of racket. I like listening to them. They sound ****** off, not really sure why they make so much racket. I know about three to four years ago, we had a bunch of hawks around making lots of racket every day. Then one day I heard one or two really making a bunch of noise. So I went outside, to see one flying up off the ground, with a snake about 3' long, I would assume a rat snake by the shape. It was a long slender snake. We had lots of rat snakes at that place and rattlers. I generally think of rattlers as being thicker heavier snakes, but where we used to live, they typically were pretty thin. So the snake, the hawk caught that day, could have been a rattler, but I would still put my money on a rat snake. Was too big to be a garter snake.
                    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 09-15-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

two chicks

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                      Backyard hawks are cool to watch making a living in the city, with songbirds being a staple item on their menu.

Big Al, a pair of Mississippi kites shows up in my neighborhood every year. They nest in the tallest pine tree around and usually raise two or three chicks. It is amazing to watch the parents teach the chicks to catch and eat cicadas and dragonflies in flight. Cool birds.
                      Our pair raised 2 chicks. The noise would get crazy when mom and dad would come in to feed them during the first month.
                      One day, about 3 months after hatching, they all flew away.

Comment

Working...
                      X