What is the purpose of plugs in shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the purpose of plugs in shotgun

I dont understand why you have to put plugs to limit the gun to only 3 shells,we have limits on all the birds that we hunt.so what is the difference if you shoot 3 times or 5 times, you stop when you reach your limit

Valid point - maybe safety controls afield?

Comment

Now it’s too early to go asking reasonable questions. Honestly, I’ve never thought of it like that. I think I could have to do with federal vs state law since they are migratory.

Comment

I always thought it was to keep from crippling so many birds.

Most time if you are to a 4 or 5th shot the birds are far out of range anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably had its beginnings in the days of market hunting when folks would go out and fill their boats with birds.

Comment

If you've shot 3 times and not hit the bird, it's probably out of range and more likely to be crippled. But then why do they let us have unplugged guns during snow goose conservation season?

Comment

To keep the idiots at bay sky busting and hail marying migratory birds....unless they are snow geese in the conservation season aka air roaches..

Comment

My guess is to make it harder to hit your limit or as some would put it to make it "more sporting" how they came up with 3 being the magic number I have no idea...... kind of like in Kansas you have a limit on dove but you are only allowed to shoot them while in flight BUT you can water swat ducks lol! A lot of regulations make me wonder who came up with them.......

Comment

I’ve never removed my plug, not because I thought it was a valid law, but because I’ve always thought it was stupid to waste the 4th & 5th shells. Vary rarley with the exception of a quail or 2 have I found any bird to still be in range after the 3rd shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                    I always thought it was to keep from crippling so many birds.

Most time if you are to a 4 or 5th shot the birds are far out of range anyway.

This is what I have always thought too. Also to keep the guys who can't hit anything from depleting our ammo stock.

Comment

Probably so a group of hunters dont decimate a small group of foul in one go. lol

Maybe lets some get away and become more cautious for survival?

I think you have a good question though and sure someone on here will provide the clear reason.

J

Comment

I know that you believe that's a reasonable question but you left out THE most critical factor. It's a gubment regulation! Some beauracrat somewhere, sometime had a thought that this would be a good idea and POOF! Just like that we are limited to 2 + 1 while hunting migratory birds.

Comment

Mayhem nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                            This is what I have always thought too. Also to keep the guys who can't hit anything from depleting our ammo stock.
                            Ain't that the truth. Most of the time I hear 3 shot for every bird I see fly over a hunter. And most of the time it keeps flying.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s my take on it, and let me say...
                              I don’t bird hunt.
                              If you could load five shells and you were a decent shooter, you would be back home by 10 am and that’s no fun cause then you have to get back to the “honey-do” list.

Comment

Working...
                              X