Need scope help for a 45/70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need scope help for a 45/70

I sent my 1895G to Bobby Tyler to have it case colored. Looking to add a semi low power optic to it and he is case coloring the rings as well. Thinking on a swaro Z3. But worried it won’t have the eye relief needed to not get popped in the face lol.

Any suggestions? And no I’m not buying a vortex or an Athlon.

I had a 1.5-4 Leupold on mine with about 4" of eye relief. If you didn't pay attention it would still pop you, I took mine off and run open sights. I think it would look better case hardened with out a scope.

Comment

Your an experienced shooter, you shouldn't have any problems with 3.5-4" of eye relief. I'm a beanpole and the only time my 1885 got me was when I had been shooting light cast loads and then swapped to a 350gr at 2300fps. It was my own fault and it still only got me lightly. When setting up your scope, set it to the highest power and then move it forward as far your cheekweld allows.

Comment

Don't acope it. Use a Skinner or Ranger Precision sight

Comment

I may end up not running it but I’m getting rings done to match while it’s there and want the option.

Comment

fixed 6x too much?

Comment

Man I am digging my 1-6 VX6...I have it on the M16 right now.

Guess I'll need to find another for the SCAR as it's neckid now. Could go a little higher power but like the true 1x.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                fixed 6x too much?
                I HATE fixed power optics except red dots lol

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  lol understandable. I'm replacing mine with TxAg's Swaro

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    I do too, but the Leupold FXII 2.5x scout scope I have on my 45-70 is pretty sweet. Though if you're shooting long distances it might not fit the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                      I do too, but the Leupold FXII 2.5x scout scope I have on my 45-70 is pretty sweet. Though if you're shooting long distances it might not fit the bill.
                      I’m not shooting far. I just like to see better haha

Comment

fixed 6x too much?
                        I say yes 6X is too much.

My Vortex is 6-24X50. Feeders 100 yds all I see in my scope is why's inside the feeder legs. I can't see them come in or leave or which way they run

Comment

Look at a shotgun scope, many have a longer eye relief in the neighborhood of 5-6" I think the paralex is generally set a little shorter too, which should be fine for the 45-70. I like leupold, but there are other options i am sure

Comment

^yup

Comment

lol understandable. I'm replacing mine with TxAg's Swaro
                              Download the swaro app on your phone if you haven't already. I found it very handy

Comment

Working...
                              X