Elk hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk hunt

I bought an OTC tag either sex elk tag in Colorado. My set up is an E32 at 28.5" with 458 grain 18.6% FOC arrow. Any tips or suggestions on equipment or tactics?

I have only elk hunted a few times, but what I have learned is to not overcall and to work toward the elk as much as possible so you can choose the best ambush spot. Do like I did and shoot the first one you can, lol. I once killed a cow 45 minutes into the first day after another trip where I passed on a small bull and never got another chance in 7 days of hunting. I killed a small bull a couple years ago and I cant imagine trying to pack out anything larger. We found where the elk would retreat up the mountain in the early morning hours and just got there before daylight. They walked right to us and a couple cow calls got the little guy into range. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

It tends to be dry during archery season (at least where Ive hunted in the past). If thats the case this year, find a water hole.

Comment

If the area you are in is like most of the Co OTC units, be prepared to walk. For that matter, if you can walk there you are still going to be covered up with people. I would just about leave the calls in the pack and find a well used trail or water hole and hunt them like whitetail.

I'd be prepared to shoot 60yds at least.

Comment

Good boots, get in shape and be able to shoot. Nothing else truly matters equipment wise. It all helps but won't keep you from killing a bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some good advice posted so far.

One other thing. Treat the water. I don't care how pure that spring looks. Use a quality filter or treat it.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Some good advice posted so far.

One other thing. Treat the water. I don't care how pure that spring looks. Use a quality filter or treat it.

I would recommend treatment in the backcountry, or at lest treatment for backup. I prefer UV for Colorado streams. Maybe it's just me, but I have bad luck with filters up there. Untimely algae blooms, and freezing weather, can/will wreck your filter quick.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                I would recommend treatment in the backcountry, or at lest treatment for backup. I prefer UV for Colorado streams. Maybe it's just me, but I have bad luck with filters up there. Untimely algae blooms, and freezing weather, can/will wreck your filter quick.
                The new MRS guardian does not have those issues. Have over 30 days on it(so at least 90 liters).

For those of you that run UV or pills bring a couple coffee filters(weight nothing) it knocks out a lot of the larger sediment.

Comment

Originally posted by TTUBowHunter12 View Post
                  I bought an OTC tag either sex elk tag in Colorado. My set up is an E32 at 28.5" with 458 grain 18.6% FOC arrow. Any tips or suggestions on equipment or tactics?
                  Good boots, stay very hydrated, and enjoy every second of the hunt.

Comment

Pack very light rain gear. More than likely you will not use it. Being wet and cold is very scary when your at 13k with a eight mile walk back.

I keep cabelas super light rain gear with me every morning and it doesn't come out of my day pack.

Two pair of boots is also nice to have.

Comment

I've used these on two back country back packing expeditions and none of us had any problems.
                      https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/403-80...p1-20-usa-only

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        The new MRS guardian does not have those issues. Have over 30 days on it(so at least 90 liters).

For those of you that run UV or pills bring a couple coffee filters(weight nothing) it knocks out a lot of the larger sediment.
                        Appreciate that . Hadn't seen it yet. It will be on the way to my door shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          Appreciate that . Hadn't seen it yet. It will be on the way to my door shortly.

It doesn't fit the ultralight narrative. It's very heavy compared to a sawyer or Steri pen, but the ability to draw/collect/pump water out of shallow pools or crevice is nice, toss in the inherit freeze protect and backwash it's a no brainer for multi night use.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have been getting in shape since March but still have a little ways to go. I didn't even think about water purification. I'll be ordering something soon. I have rain gear and a good pair of hiking boots. I am about to pull water data along with other data and plug into maps (might as well use my degree). I appreciate the advice this is my first mountain hunt, and I'm getting excited.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              Good boots, get in shape and be able to shoot. Nothing else truly matters equipment wise. It all helps but won't keep you from killing a bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Add a good pack to that list and you'll be good to go.

Be in better shape than you think if you aren't used to 10k feet

Comment

Working...
                              X