Small business owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    Yes sir tax payers. If it doesn't happen though there will be an economic crash. I'm not a fan of taxes by any means, but in this case I see it as a necessary evil.
    I agree. All this handing out money scares me for what’s to come. But I get why they are doing it.

Comment

My business "Building Automation" we are all still working. We can do a lot remotely but still have to be on site also. Luckily we do a lot of hospital and MOB work so that is keeping us busy thank the Lord. Still have construction on going at several sites MOB. Most of our commercial office building work and school work is on hold though as are several new projects. Trying to keep the guys safe and still working where we can. I believe though after this dies down we will pick up a lot of work as it has exposed needs for monitoring exhaust and intake air flows for facilities with new rate change standards coming. We will be hiring as this picks up.

Comment

I don't have to tell any business owner or senior manager of a company what it is like to have to do a layoff, but for those who haven't experienced what it's like on the employer side, let me tell you, it is the most gut wrenching horrible experience an employer can go through short of just locking up and shutting down. I've been through a bunch of these turn-downs. My first one was the big one in '81-'82... I was a senior manager for my company. It hit me so hard physically, I have been on blood pressure medication pretty much since that time... I almost stroked out. I got thru all the others without having to making personnel cuts until the 2014-15 turn-down... difference this time was I was the business owner... It was even worse!!! It's one thing to have to fire someone for not doing their job, I don't like it, but it doesn't bother me mentally other than trying to keep from getting upset a the employee for blowing their chance at a good job... Having to tell a loyal employee that is like family to you that you can't use 'em anymore and that their insurance and pay are dropping to zero... well, that's the hardest and worse thing I've ever had to do! I don't want to have to ever do it again and God willing we will get through this one without having to do it again!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Ours told s the EXACT same thing! We have begun the process. Some of the forms aren't actually available quite yet, but should be by the end of the week. It won't hold up the process, but our bank is already moving forward. If it was just me, I'm old enough and in a condition where I could just retire and be OK, but I just cannot do that to my employees and their families. I could lay everyone off and they could get their pay, but then they'd spend most of it on that dang Cobra Insurance cost. We pay 100% of our employee's insurance for them and their families... That would devastate some of them as there are some with special pre-existing conditions that would bankrupt them... As long as I have means, I just cannot do that to any of my employees! They've been very loyal to my company and me and I'll be there for them as long as I can hold out. If it means accepting help from the same gubment that shut me down in the first place, so be it. It is extraordinary times we are living in.
          You are a good man sir!

Comment

The tax business is still ok. My nursery businesses have taken several hits. It is frustrating when your told to shut down because you are not an essential business but then you look down the road at Lowe's, Home Depot and Wal-Mart selling plants. If it's dangerous for us to sell plants why is it not dangerous for them. Very frustrating. Wholesale nursery is doing about 40% and we've reduced our temporary staff but are trying to keep permanent staff on. If this had hit in November-January we would have weathered it but with our retail nurseries shutting down in some locations it will be tough to sell all our inventory this year. I was looking at semi-retiring in two or three years but if the nurseries go belly up I guess I'll be working well into my 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
              The tax business is still ok. My nursery businesses have taken several hits. It is frustrating when your told to shut down because you are not an essential business but then you look down the road at Lowe's, Home Depot and Wal-Mart selling plants. If it's dangerous for us to sell plants why is it not dangerous for them. Very frustrating. Wholesale nursery is doing about 40% and we've reduced our temporary staff but are trying to keep permanent staff on. If this had hit in November-January we would have weathered it but with our retail nurseries shutting down in some locations it will be tough to sell all our inventory this year. I was looking at semi-retiring in two or three years but if the nurseries go belly up I guess I'll be working well into my 70s.
              Nurseries are still open here. You should be able to include that with construction, especially if you have landscaper clients.

Comment

All the nurseries are still open here. In fact we have been to several in the area more times and spent more there than we needed....just to get out of the house. And apparently we ain't the only ones with that thought because they were PACKED!
                Dude why the hell are you closed! This is the perfect storm for nurseries!

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                  Where are the details for this SBA program? I still havent seen the details. I honestly dont want the govt in any part of my business Im not forced to. But if its as easy as it sounds I will check into it
                  I feel like you but I applied anyways. At this point I don’t know what to do.

Comment

We had 4 independent eating establishments out here on the Lake. Down to three now. Owner said closing shop and took sign of front of building. No more Abel's

Comment

I would be open till they forcibly shut me down. But thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        Nurseries are still open here. You should be able to include that with construction, especially if you have landscaper clients.
                        Thanks for the heads up. Glad that is the case in some parts of Texas. I'm hopeful that the cancellations we got last week and the week before will turn around and those stores will actually be open. It may be just their original reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          All the nurseries are still open here. In fact we have been to several in the area more times and spent more there than we needed....just to get out of the house. And apparently we ain't the only ones with that thought because they were PACKED!
                          Dude why the hell are you closed! This is the perfect storm for nurseries!
                          Our wholesale place is open as we sell to landscapers. Our retail has been told be be closed and we are....sort of. Hopefully the wholesale side will come back now that the initial panic has worn off.

On another note, this is the best tax season I've ever had. An extra three months to get things done. I'm not taking that long but I'm glad we don't have to work 90 hours a week to meet the April 15th deadline. I like being able to spend more time on a return. I hope they make this permanent. For most people, the returns got easier last year. But I still have some seriously complicated returns and am glad there is extra time to review them.

Comment

I own a security alarm business, so we are essential because we are life safety. Our business follows the real estate business closely, and since nobody is buying houses or moving right now they are not calling us either. I am down 60% at least right now and don't know that we will survive. I am looking into the fed funds but information is hard to come by and even harder to understand.

Comment

Call you bank asap. They have no guidelines yet for the PPP loans, except generalities. My banker says they should be going by Friday. Go apply for the EIDL loan through SBA. Very simple process. You get a $10000 grant even if you are not approved for the loan.

Comment

Oakstreet in Fairview closed today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X