Let's talk 270 Weatherby Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about it. Good, bad & ugly. Thinking about this caliber for the APR build. Was thinking 7mm-08 or 308 win mag but after a little research I'm leaning towards the 270 weatherby mag now. What barrel length and twist would yall recommend? Would like to use 130gr for whitetail and load the 160's for elk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

26" 1:10 and if your willing to have a 26" barrel there are much better calibers, obviously that is just my opinion though which you didn't ask for. Might look at the 7rm it will burn less powder, have more velocity and energy, and have better BC and SD.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
      26" 1:10 and if your willing to have a 26" barrel there are much better calibers, obviously that is just my opinion though which you didn't ask for. Might look at the 7rm it will burn less powder, have more velocity and energy, and have better BC and SD.
      Dead on. 7RM or 28 Nosler is where I would go.

Comment

The first design of the wby’s...this and the 257 are my favorites. Go 26” for sure

Comment

I was thinking of the same thing only in 257 Weatherby Mag.

Comment

I appreciate yalls input. I'm trying to stay away from the bigger mags. I thought about 7rm but decided against it then thought 28 nosler and didnt want to mess with reloading it either. Had a 257 weatherby and sold it and kick myself every day for it. That's why I was leaning towards the 270 weatherby mag.

Comment

If I’m burning that much powder then I want the ability to shoot more than 150g bullets.

7 RM or 7 WM would both be more versatile choices.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                If I’m burning that much powder then I want the ability to shoot more than 150g bullets.

Exactly and you can get 7mm bullets from 100 grain to 197 grain.

Comment

300 yds is about all I can shoot at any of the places where I hunt. With that restriction I shoot a 270Win. It kills dead anything I shoot at and hit right, a couple hundred FPS would not make them deader. The ease of available ammo at the "corner store" would add some additional votes for the 270 Win. I seem to recall from long ago that Roy W himself said something like, of his mags that his 270 was the least beneficial over the original.

Comment

Have you looked at the 280 Ackley? Sounds like it may fit what you're looking for pretty well. Non magnum, relatively easy to find ammo, and a wide range of bullet weights can be had.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
                      Have you looked at the 280 Ackley? Sounds like it may fit what you're looking for pretty well. Non magnum, relatively easy to find ammo, and a wide range of bullet weights can be had.
                      I have looked into the 280ai and thought about that also. So many options out there. I had apr build me a 26 nosler a couple years ago and it was a hammer. Wished I'd have never sold the gun just to heavy to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post

Nosler makes a 160 grain, Norma makes a 165 grain, Berger makes a 170 grain, and Woodleigh makes a 180 grain in .277

I still believe that a 7RM or 7WM is a more versatile choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                          Nosler makes a 160 grain, Norma makes a 165 grain, Berger makes a 170 grain, and Woodleigh makes a 180 grain in .277

I still believe that a 7RM or 7WM is a more versatile choice.

Edit: Partition is available in 160

According to Nosler website 150 is heavy as it gets for either Accubond or Accubond LR
                          Last edited by bboswell; 02-02-2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
                            I have looked into the 280ai and thought about that also. So many options out there. I had apr build me a 26 nosler a couple years ago and it was a hammer. Wished I'd have never sold the gun just to heavy to carry.

I hunted with a 270wby for many years.
                            Ammo is expensive, so I ended up reloading it.
                            I had APR build me a 280ai...
                            Shoots light out.
                            Sold the 270wby.
                            Smoked an elk at 300yds with the 280ai, full pass through with 162 eldx.
                            With my experience with both, I say 280ai all the way.

Comment

I got an 280ai on last years build and its a sweet shooter as well as a versital caliber.

Comment

Working...
                              X