No announcement yet.

Teeth Aging Texas Hill Country Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to me that unless you have history with a deer, you really can’t tell the actual age of a deer or close to it based on tooth wear. My guess is that most hunters in this State hunt low fence properties and rely heavily on camera photos year after year and have a good idea of the age. Other than that it is based on body characteristics if there’s no photo evidence.

Comment

Teeth Aging Texas Hill Country Deer

Deer number 2 is 9+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-11-2021, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Be interested in hearing TopOfTexas views on these

Comment

I’ll play

Comment

8.5+

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                  I feel so sorry for guys that get booted off a ranch because the teeth don’t meet a certain age requirement.

My wife proved that this year! She shot the oldest deer on the place and I shot a good older cull for the cape. Her jaws showed 3 while mine showed 7+

Comment

All just best guesses as I have no history with any of them..

Comment

Older than 6.5

Comment

I have hell with hill country deer. So now I just go off of my history and even then if I have a question I’ll bring it here.

I have one bucks in my pasture that I feel 90% confident on his age and that’s simply because he’s easily identified. (He’s missing a back hoof)

After that I try my best to Just make sure they’re mature. Luckily we are not heavily managed, although I wish it would be adopted.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chance Love;15395587]Hmmm, I "BETTER"? Your post made me chuckle a little.

Yes as in if you are planning to tell us the ages, it better be based on an exact known age, not some guess as to when the deer was 2 yrs and then someone tracked that deer for 6 yrs etc therefore the buck is x age old.
                          OTHERWISE, this is a total waste of time and energy. There, is that BETTER ?

Comment

This thread got me thinking yesterday. I wonder how much a deer's diet really changes the wear on their teeth. East Texas deer tooth wear vs South Texas teeth wear vs Hill Country teeth wear. I bet they are all quite different.

Comment

[quote=buck_wild;15396367]
                              Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                              Hmmm, I "BETTER"? Your post made me chuckle a little.

Yes as in if you are planning to tell us the ages, it better be based on an exact known age, not some guess as to when the deer was 2 yrs and then someone tracked that deer for 6 yrs etc therefore the buck is x age old.
                              OTHERWISE, this is a total waste of time and energy. There, is that BETTER ?
                              Well, you might not want to waste anymore of YOUR time or energy...

In fairness, one was "marked" as a fawn.
                              Last edited by Chance Love; 01-12-2021, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I'm going

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X