Religion question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religion question.

Had a discussion today with a good friend. He is a devout Christian. He claims that God never said that unclean animals were ok to consume, specifically pigs. Heck, I love bacon, ham, and sausage, but he stated that eating of their flesh is not in align with God's directive. Anybody have insight on this? Bro Bill?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Romans 14
    New International Version
    The Weak and the Strong
    14 Accept the one whose faith is weak,(A) without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.(B) 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt(C) the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge(D) the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant?(E) To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another;(F) another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God;(G) and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone,(H) and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.(I) 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life(J) so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.(K)

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt?(L) For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat.(M) 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’(N) says the Lord,
    ‘every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.’”[b](O)
    12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.(P)

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment(Q) on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister.(R) 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself.(S) But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean.(T) 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love.(U) Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died.(V) 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil.(W) 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking,(X) but of righteousness, peace(Y) and joy in the Holy Spirit,(Z) 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.(AA)

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace(AB) and to mutual edification.(AC) 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food.(AD) All food is clean,(AE) but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.(AF) 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.(AG)

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn(AH) himself by what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts(AI) is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

Comment

Deuteronomy 14:8 is your verse for pigs.

Unclean (detestable) things of the sea are without fins and scales, to include shrimp, crab, and oysters among many others. I pray for forgiveness every trip to Louisiana!

Comment

In addition to Romans 14.....

Cornelius Calls for Peter At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to

9About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”
        14“Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”
        15The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”
        16This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

That Which Defiles Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hand

10Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand.11What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”
        12Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?”
        13He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots.14Leave them; they are blind guides.15:14 Some manuscripts blind guides of the blind If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.”
        15Peter said, “Explain the parable to us.”
        16 “Are you still so dull?”Jesus asked them. 17“Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body?18But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.19For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.20These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.”

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have

1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

Clean/unclean foods aren't the main point of any of these, and some folks believe that these scriptures change nothing from the Old Testament rules about clean/unclean foods. But you do have to argue that these scriptures don't really mean what they say to support that view.
        Last edited by Shane; 06-23-2021, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I’ve never understood why it says pigs are unclean when in fact they are very clean.

Comment

Back in the day, before modern refrigeration and meat thermometers, a pork chop could kill you. Now.....fry that bacon Speedgoat!

Comment

Oh.....and all that stuff Geezy and Shane said....

Comment

How does his christian interpretation compare to the Muslims interpretation?

Comment

I wish he left provisions that prevented harm to children... I know.. forgiveness, sin, blah blah blah. Protect the innocent and do it well...

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                    I’ve never understood why it says pigs are unclean when in fact they are very clean.
                    You beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      In addition to Romans 14.....

Cornelius Calls for Peter At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to

9About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”
                      14“Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”
                      15The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”
                      16This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

That Which Defiles Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hand

10Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand.11What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”
                      12Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?”
                      13He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots.14Leave them; they are blind guides.15:14 Some manuscripts blind guides of the blind If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.”
                      15Peter said, “Explain the parable to us.”
                      16 “Are you still so dull?”Jesus asked them. 17“Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body?18But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them.19For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.20These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.”

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have

1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

Clean/unclean foods aren't the main point of any of these, and some folks believe that these scriptures change nothing from the Old Testament rules about clean/unclean foods. But you do have to argue that these scriptures don't really mean what they say to support that view.
                      Yep. There are some churches these days, as in the days after the church was birthed, trying to place themselves under the law again. Read what Paul had to say to the judaizers in the letter to the Galatians. There were those who taught that Christian converts had to observe the Jewish Law as well as follow the teachings of Christ, and this applied even to Gentiles. Paul and Barnabas raised this issue at the Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15) and had clearly won the argument that Christianity stood on its own and Christians did not need to observe the customs of the Jewish law, such as circumcision and other Mosaic rituals. Eat all the bacon you want....

Comment

God said thick sliced bacon is clean. I think. I believe the Old Testament talks about clean and unclean animals. And in the New Testament it changed. But don’t quote me on that. Do your own research.

Comment

All of that "clean/unclean" things to eat is in the Old Testament.

Things changed after Jesus's time and the "old law" does not apply today.

Comment

Sort of out of context but the metaphor says it all..

Acts 10: 10-13
                            10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
                            11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
                            12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
                            13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
                            14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
                            15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Comment

1 Timothy Chapter 4 NIV

The Spirit(A) clearly says that in later times(B) some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits(C) and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.(D) 3 They forbid people to marry(E) and order them to abstain from certain foods,(F) which God created(G) to be received with thanksgiving(H) by those who believe and who know the truth. 4 For everything God created is good,(I) and nothing is to be rejected(J) if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 because it is consecrated by the word of God(K) and prayer.
                              Last edited by rjtkdplus; 06-24-2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X