snakes on water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snakes on water

Maybe there are experts who can help here. I've always been told that a venomous snake swims with the whole body on top while the regular water snakes will have the body submerged. Lots of snake ID arguing around Granbury lately and folk even claiming that cottonmouths don't exist in Hood county. I call BS.
    Was fishing with my feet off the dock down in my boat slip a couple weeks back when one swam right under me. Whole body on the surface. I went cheeks to feet in one epic move that should have been caught on video.

That is correct. Venomous snakes swim with their body on the water.

Comment

[QUOTE=TexaRican;15638802] I went cheeks to feet in one epic move that should have been caught on video.

Gold Medal Olympic move. I can imagine.

Comment

I don't know about snakes but I suggest installing a camera to catch this cheeks to feet trick.

Comment

It's correct, but also incorrect. Venomous snakes will swim on top of the water, but can go under water. Rattlesnakes and copperheads will almost always swim completely on top, but water moccasins do both. Also, non-venomous snakes can swim completely on top of the water, although it's not as common as venomous snakes. So this is not a super effective way to identify whether a snake is venomous or not. And of course there are water moccasins in Hood County.
          Last edited by bullets13; 05-28-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Picturing the 1 move cheeks to feet move and cracking up [emoji23][emoji23]

If that happened to me I think my move would be the backwards somersault to feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You are correct about which snakes swim on top.

On the other hand a real man would have grabbed that cottonmouth by the tail and swung it around his head a few times and cracked it like a bullwhip sending it's head on down the Brazos instead of screaming like a girl and running for help.

Comment

Water snakes and cotton mouths will both swim on top of the water at times. You cant determine the identity by this only.

Comment

On top, that way it's easier to get in the boat.
                  Attached Files

Comment

"Matt Miklaw, a lead zookeeper at the Austin Zoo, told mySA.com the widely-shared meme fails to mention that all snakes can swim, and do so for different reasons. Miklaw, who specializes in snakes, said species swimming at the top of the water are non-aquatic, but could be venomous or non-venomous. He said any species of snake are "more than capable of diving under the water and will dive to get food or escape predation."

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                        It's correct, but also incorrect. Venomous snakes will swim on top of the water, but can go under water. Rattlesnakes and copperheads will almost always swim completely on top, but water moccasins do both. Also, non-venomous snakes can swim completely on top of the water, although it's not as common as venomous snakes. So this is not a super effective way to identify whether a snake is venomous or not. And of course there are water moccasins in Hood County.
                        This. I've seen both types swim whole body on top and both types swim partially submerged and I've seen water moccasins dive completely under water to get fish and get away from me blasting them with a 12 g.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                          On top, that way it's easier to get in the boat.
                          Snake just bought himself a boat!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                            Snake just bought himself a boat!
                            You mean stole a boat. Although the boat should be worthless now seeing as it should be on fire.

Comment

Seen rattlers swimming on the top.
                              Seen moccasins both top and bottom, remember them swirling around underwater in the rice fields around us when we were working

Comment

Working...
                              X