Bond Arms Rowdy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bond Arms Rowdy

My daughter’s moving to Massachusetts and if she is approved for a concealed carry license there (I know that’s a big if), she’s wanting to get something for personal defense. She’s not looking to get in a gunfight and they have magazine limits anyhow. I’m thinking the Rowdy would be a good choice for her. It’ll shoot .45 rounds as well as .410 shells. IDK that she’ll get to spend time on the range with it much. What do y’all think? Anyone have experience with one?

unless she is very familiar with handgun recoil that is going to cause more problems than needed,,,, so unless she has practiced with a lot of stuff i would look for something more user friendly ,,, charter arms makes a good line of affordable and reliable pistols and even some light weight models,,, a 2" 38 revolver with full wadcutters would be very nasty and much easier to control, plus carry more ammo... i normally carry one around my place because of snakes,,, lightweight easy to carry and effective

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
      unless she is very familiar with handgun recoil that is going to cause more problems than needed,,,, so unless she has practiced with a lot of stuff i would look for something more user friendly ,,, charter arms makes a good line of affordable and reliable pistols and even some light weight models,,, a 2" 38 revolver with full wadcutters would be very nasty and much easier to control, plus carry more ammo... i normally carry one around my place because of snakes,,, lightweight easy to carry and effective
      I just watched a YouTube video on the BA Rowdy and it was suggesting it for a snake gun.

Comment

No Sir.

I extensively tested the Bonds and I’m even the only one I know outside of Bond Arms that has shot a 454 Casull through them. You will sustain physical damage if you are STUPID enough to do it but the gun will be fine. I even had a couple of coveted 44 Magnum barrels. I’ve had many other caliber and length barrels too.

The Bond barrels are not long enough, except in the Texan, to generate decent velocity for 410 buckshot, it can actually bounce off some harder objects and the actual terminal damage ain’t worth a crap. I’ve shot plenty of critters, hogs, and big dogs with it whilst testing. The idea it can use 410 and 45 Colt is worthless at best.

Plus, the way the trigger pulls doesn’t lend itself to accuracy without mucho practice.

I’d recommend a single stack Massachusetts approved semi auto or charter bull dog 44 revolver for carry, UDAP Bear Spray, and/or modified Phillip’s screwdriver. Maybe even a stoeger coach 410 or Ruger 10/22 for the house.

A (Mass Approved) J-Frame 38plus P tucked in a front waist band or belly band type holster is hard to beat.

FRIENDS DON’T LET FRIENDS GIVE THEIR DAUGHTERS BOND DERRINGERS FOR SELF DEFENSE.
        Last edited by Johnny44; 04-10-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          I just watched a YouTube video on the BA Rowdy and it was suggesting it for a snake gun.
          I expect it would excel in that capacity! I used to have a charter arms 44 bulldog that was great for the task,, but lacked accuracy for anything else,,,

Comment

Thanks

That’s good to know. It’s always a good idea to ask on TBH. Lot of knowledgeable people on here.

Comment

Massachusetts is a very liberal state. I would suggest she get her concealed carry in Texas since there is reciprocity.

Buy her a Sig Sauer P365 with 10 round magazines.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a bond 45/410. It will flat hammer some snakes with 9 shot. However I think it would be a horrible choice for self defense for your daughter. They are heavy, inaccurate, and the triggers are terrible. So many better options out there for self defense IMO.

Comment

38 special loaded with rat shot. Load 2 tat shot load 4 JHP. 2-1/2 snubbie light weight. Just the loud bang and stinging shot don’t scare them, then the JHP will. Thats what both my daughter's have. Actually they have rat shot in 9 mm. I like the revolver Vs a auto.

Comment

Love me some Bond Arms....they build a quality firearm and are a local Texas company to boot. That said, none of their lineup would be near the top choices for EDCs IMO....other than maybe the Bullpup 9.
                    There are way better choices out there IMO. What is your daughter’s background and comfort level with firearms? Can she handle a semi automatic and rack a slide? If not and she’s maybe too intimidated, maybe a wheel gun?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                      No Sir.

I extensively tested the Bonds and I’m even the only one I know outside of Bond Arms that has shot a 454 Casull through them. You will sustain physical damage if you are STUPID enough to do it but the gun will be fine. I even had a couple of coveted 44 Magnum barrels. I’ve had many other caliber and length barrels too.

The Bond barrels are not long enough, except in the Texan, to generate decent velocity for 410 buckshot, it can actually bounce off some harder objects and the actual terminal damage ain’t worth a crap. I’ve shot plenty of critters, hogs, and big dogs with it whilst testing. The idea it can use 410 and 45 Colt is worthless at best.

Plus, the way the trigger pulls doesn’t lend itself to accuracy without mucho practice.
                      I have to second this. Shotgun shells are designed for long barrels by using slower burning powder. So much so that when fired in a short barrel like the derringers, up to 80% will dump on the ground without ever burning. Pressure never gets to build up. Don't believe me? Lay a huge sheet of plastic or white paper down in front of you and fire downrange. You can collect the powder and reuse it.
                      Derringers have a heavy trigger pull (up to 17#) to act as the safety because generally, there is no trigger guard.

I think a 38 caliber revolver would be a great choice for her and they are concealable. They tend to be a point and pull interface. No safeties to disconnect first.

Comment

My wife and daughter both love their smith model 642 38 spl.
                        Never Ever would I suggest they carry a derringer of any model.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          Massachusetts is a very liberal state. I would suggest she get her concealed carry in Texas since there is reciprocity.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...-gun-laws/?amp
                          The way I’m reading it, Mass doesn’t recognize any other ccl except their own. Guess they think they’re special. 🙄

Comment

I bought my mom a Taurus 85 in .38 special. My wife carries one too. Very lightweight and easy to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                              The way I’m reading it, Mass doesn’t recognize any other ccl except their own. Guess they think they’re special. [emoji849]

I’m sorry- I misread too. MA does not honor any other state’s concealed weapons permits. It’s also a may-issue state, and with all the gun laws there your daughter will be at the mercy of the local Sheriff.- don’t hold your breath she’ll ever get one.

That’s what it costs in personal freedom to live in a left wing state. I left one.

I’d consider a Kimber pepper blaster (if legal) or tai kwon do lessons to take care of an attacker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X