Deer Shedding Early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Shedding Early

Hunting in West Kimble County. Running cell cams and noticing a large number of the bucks are shedding already. Its way more than normal for late February. Anybody else noticing the same? I'm assuming it's stress from the freeze.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

We had bucks in Mason County that were shedding in late January.

Comment

I shot what I thought was a BIG doe in Kendall Co a few years back. It was Jan2, and there was two big red spots on his noggin.

It was with a muzzle loader(traditional, with open sights) at about 80 yards. Had I been looking thru a scope I might not have shot

Comment

I wonder if that last cold spell had anything to do with it?

Comment

Yes, seeing early shedding in Kimble on my place too.

Comment

Shed season is Jan-April. When deer stress and testosterone levels drop bucks will shed. Really cold temps along with nutrition play a big part in it as well. Last weeks weather I’m sure has a few shedding earlier than what most are used to. I’ve had bucks shed as early as December and others hold on until mid to late April. So far this year 4 bucks on cam or at the ranch have shed in the last 3 wks. 2 in the last couple days.

Comment

Just starting to shed in sonora.

Comment

Originally posted by swanjts View Post
                We had bucks in Mason County that were shedding in late January.
                Same with us in Rocksprings.

Comment

I found my first shred about 2 weeks ago before the cold spell. Only found one and the rest of the Bucks still have their headgear.

Comment

I think I’m gonna take a walk through some bedding on the wma next week where I saw a 150 last October. Ya never know...

Comment

I know some bucks shed in early winter. On our place the MAJORITY shed from now to late March. Just noticing a lot more for the beginning of our "shed season".

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

It's normal timing for the hill country. We start seeing a few in late December, every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                          It's normal timing for the hill country. We start seeing a few in late December, every year.
                          Yep.

Comment

Watching a wide 10 point on cell cam to see when he sheds, last year he shed in mid February which is early for our deer, the year before that was early April.

Comment

Yes

Our mule deer have dropped earlier than usual.

Comment

Working...
                              X