Too much bow or not enough target?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much bow or not enough target?

2-3 months ago, maybe longer, I purchased a Matthews Atlas. This is the second time I shot it since I bought it
    I found a couple of Bone Collector targets on sale at Walmart last year so I bought them.

The bow is set to 70#'s, arrows are 520ish grains and 17 or 19% FOC. I'm shooting @ 20 yards. I don't think I have 12 shots into the target yet.

Don't know if I should be impressed by the performance of the bow & arrows or worried about the target wearing out in 80 shots and the arrows zipping through the target. I am a fan of pass through shots tho :-)

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes
    Last edited by Pushbutton2; 07-19-2021, 08:11 AM.

Those are not very good targets

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
      Those are not very good targets
      [emoji1303]
      So what you're saying than is I need more bow :-p [emoji23]

When we go to God by prayer, the devil knows we go to fetch strength against him, and therefore he opposeth us all he can.

R. Sibbes

Comment

Not great targets and i bet you ***L draw length doesn’t help that poor target

Comment

At 20 yards… I would just be happy you are hitting the bullseye occasionally finally and not overanalyze the small stuff.. Get you a Blob...
          Last edited by Smart; 07-19-2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Get you a blob .will last for years .

Comment

Cheap target, heavy bow. You can either replace targets, not shoot very much, or spend a couple hundred on a good target.

Comment

I guess I’m blind or something. I’m not seeing the issue. Fair penetration on a fair target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  I guess I’m blind or something. I’m not seeing the issue. Fair penetration on a fair target.

I’m with you on this. I don’t see an issue from those pics.

I have a couple of those targets. They won’t last for years. If that’s what you want then get a blob target for sure.

Comment

I have a morrell bag target. I get that much penetration on it as well. However it's 4 or 5 years old and been shot up pretty good.

I wasn't expecting this much penetration on a new target. It's says crossbow approved and up to 3?0 fps. I think this new bow is in the 265 - 270 fps range

R. Sibbes

Comment

I have not found these targets to be very durable.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post

Me either.....don't look like the 10X ring will get worn out anytime soon

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                          Me either.....don't look like the 10X ring will get worn out anytime soon
                          [emoji33][emoji1787]
                          MOP (minute of pig) is my goal.
                          [emoji1787][emoji1787]

I all honesty.
                          This new bow actually fits me.
                          I'm training the peep now. It keeps rotating on me.

I'm wanting to get my accuracy back to 6 touching @ 30 yds. Been years since I last did that. I know I'm over psychologizing it, my brain knows it as well. Trying to not to gets me distracted.

This is the 3rd time I've shot this bow. I think I've only 4 times in the last year or more.
                          I'm ok with my accuracy, for now.
                          Now just need to shoot more.

R. Sibbes

Comment

Those targets don’t stop heavy arrows. I had one and first shot with broad head went clean thru and it took me 20 minutes to find my arrow. If you have the $ invest in a matrix or rhinehart block target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If your worried about the penetration your getting at 20 yards move back.

Comment

Working...
                              X