Bad work environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
    Out of curitousity, what is it that you're upset about in your work environment?

To put it simply… I get paid hourly. Everyone around me gets paid per hour as well. I am one of 2 employees that will get asked to work more than 40 hours a week nearly every week. I started off hungry and eager and would always try and go above and beyond. I put my head down and did it often. I’m realizing now that I’m getting more and more responsibilities thrust at me with no incentive to keep grinding like I used to. I haven’t made a cent more than I did when I started 2 years ago…. So I simply asked if the work load could be equally distributed if I wasn’t getting a raise. They didn’t like the fact that I wanted others to match my hours I guess?

Now I’m seen as someone who complains. I made the naive mistake in thinking that I could comfortably voice these concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sadly, I agree with others that what you are describing, OP, is not an unusual, toxic work environment, but a normal American work environment. If you have a strong network of family and friends, consider yourself blessed and lean on them. Others at your workplace who have no reliable, loving family and/or friends will need to build community at work- let 'em.

I've worked in a bunch of work environments and even been dinged for cutting out to Subway at lunch to read the newspaper and enjoy my sub. I've been told that my family is too high a priority in my life. Others complained that I never wanted to go to happy hour. I have to let it go- I have a wonderful family that I am very proud of and frankly, I want to spend my time investing in a relationship with them, not most co-workers.

OP, you may also be an overresponsible worker. If you have a strong sense of duty and a high degree of responsibility for your scope of work, others, who are experts in doing the least amount of work possible, will figure out that you will do their work for them. I've been that overresponsible guy. It was a mistake on my part. You have to let the plate hit the floor- if you cover for your co-workers who work less, you are just letting yourself be taken advantage of. That's not what God wants for you... or them.

Comment

In my developing opinion, there are generally two types of people in most workplaces:

*Type A People who are real go-getters... but the empire they are building is their own. They are usually pretty good at politics and are working two or three levels deep to get ahead. Their effort is not laced with classic integrity but with selfish ambition.

OR

*Relaxed, chill people who frankly just don't make waves and don't do much of impact either. The first group doesn't mind these people; they are like rocks in the river to them. They sometimes get promoted because of longevity and are no threat to the first group.

Here on TBH? Well, we have all kinds, but I am telling you guys, we have a pretty good sampling of the ideal employee/boss:

*An assertive person who believes in their ability to accomplish things, works hard because it is the right thing to do, does their best to keep their hands clean from any nasty politics, etc. This type of person is sadly, diminishing, in our society because we have fewer and fewer strong families and churches from which they largely come.

When this type of person is a boss, they don't take advantage of hardworking employees, they support and protect them. When this type of person is an employee, they work hard, trusting that the leadership will do right by them.

See how much better that latter group is?

Nowadays, finding a place like that to work is challenging. But they are out there. May God bless you as you do your best to find a solid work environment.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
          So im going to be blunt. As im in MGMT.

If your making less than the people working 7 hrs and you guys are on the same level then either you are not doing as good of a job as you think and MGMT notices it. Or if you know for sure you are doing a better job then those making more and are earning it. Then maybe you should move on as it sounds like you may not be appreciated by the company and there are always companies looking for hard workers.

All of my guys that gripe about wanting a raise etc. Do nothing more to warrant one. The guys that get raises seldom ever say a word about a raise and work their asses off so they get one. Its hard to get that into some peoples head.

I'm just being honest and trying to give you something to consider i know this doesn't address your OP but I'm responding to your statement above.

Solid advice. I think the main issue I face is that I’m being asked to pull back on my quality of work to do more work. My quality is what I thought helped me stand out. Others skip out on quality severely in an attempt to try and do more.

But the thing is I still am doing more than 75% of my co workers with the same quality.

They seem to have a sour view of me because I make it apparent that the workload is not equal. That was my mistake I guess. Those acting like helpful ears decided to start talking about me.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            Bryant,

You are going to run across a lot of fair weathered friends in the work place as the years go by & imagine it's even more rampant in your chosen field...best thing to do is use this as a life lesson & not run, but learn from it & spot them in the future. There is no perfect job & keeping most all the frustrations / venting away from co-workers is a pretty good practice.

Your true work ethic, attitude & value are showing itself to the people who matter...same will surface to those who are shallow & take life's short cuts to advance themselves.

Go about your duties & don't let that clown steal any more of your joy.

Appreciate it Paul.

Comment

After reading your other responses, especially the part about making the same for past 2 years, I think I would polish up the resume and look for greener pastures. Sounds like there is too much to try to fix and they are unwilling. Seems like there is a high demand for workers right now and good time to look around; discreetly.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCountry101 View Post
                After reading your other responses, especially the part about making the same for past 2 years, I think I would polish up the resume and look for greener pastures. Sounds like there is too much to try to fix and they are unwilling. Seems like there is a high demand for workers right now and good time to look around; discreetly.
                I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                  fify. My advice: stop talking, put in the work, and go home. Providing you like the job. Jackasses anywhere you go. I know a guy who quit a very good job because of someone else. Turns out that "someone else" was fired within 6 months.
                  Good advice !

Comment

Originally posted by Stites_Bites View Post
                    He’s just one I know about for sure. I think that my office manager who I have also voiced concerns with has started to spew a bit too much as well. I bring obvious problems to her attention and she equates that to me not being able to handle the environment.

To put it in perspective… I work 9-10 hour days and make less than others working 7. I’ve been here 2 years and they have been here less.

Just hate feeling as if I’m being taken advantage of.

Time to secure a new job.

Comment

From the outside looking in here and recent comments from OP, you are the one who sounds disgruntled rather than a "toxic" work place. Hope it all works out for you bud, work rich environment.

Comment

This definitely sounds like a case where you need to leverage yourself. Either you are doing a lot of work and need to negotiate your salary/work hours or you are over inflating your value. Get another job offer in hand and use that to negotiate for what you want. If you don’t get it then take the new job.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Don't bring management problems, bring them solutions.
                          Unless your management is full of insecure hacks who think any employee who goes above and beyond is gunning for their job. But, if that's the case, might as well look for another job anyway.

Comment

If it's in your head that much - just move on.

Otherwise just work hard and keep your mouth shut. If you have to say something, find somebody who you aint working with to tell about it.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                              So im going to be blunt. As im in MGMT.

If your making less than the people working 7 hrs and you guys are on the same level then either you are not doing as good of a job as you think and MGMT notices it. Or if you know for sure you are doing a better job then those making more and are earning it. Then maybe you should move on as it sounds like you may not be appreciated by the company and there are always companies looking for hard workers.

All of my guys that gripe about wanting a raise etc. Do nothing more to warrant one. The guys that get raises seldom ever say a word about a raise and work their asses off so they get one. Its hard to get that into some peoples head.

I'm just being honest and trying to give you something to consider i know this doesn't address your OP but I'm responding to your statement above.

The bolded is spot on. I have never once asked for a raise and I have always been given raises. Raises aren't given because you ask, they are given because they are earned.

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
                                This definitely sounds like a case where you need to leverage yourself. Either you are doing a lot of work and need to negotiate your salary/work hours or you are over inflating your value. Get another job offer in hand and use that to negotiate for what you want. If you don’t get it then take the new job.

I disagree with part of this statement. Do find you another job. Then give a two week notice and tell your boss you found a better paying job. If he offers you more money just say 'NO THANKS". If you are worth more money today, why didn't he give you more before.

You should not have to ask for a raise. A raise should be given to you when you deserve it.

Maybe you are being ask to work overtime because your boss figures you will get the work done and the others won't.

Comment

Working...
                                X