Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public land hunting… aggressive or conservative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm an aggressively conservative hunter. Adapt and overcome. I've done OK for my self.

Comment

Scout early and stake put your place by making a bunch of fake scrapes and rubs somewhere else. It also helps to put up a bunch of different colors of trail markers intersecting each others and going in circles but leading toward the fake sign.

Comment

Seriously, Public Land hunting can be great just don't act like you own it because you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by txchuck View Post
          Seriously, Public Land hunting can be great just don't act like you own it because you don't.
          Well, I own it. But you can use it.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
            There is a living public land legend on the green screen that would be able to answer that question: GBludau..
            I can't tell if you're being sincere or taking a jab like some fellas on here recently have. Its tough love I guess!

Comment

funnels, food and pinch points... If possible hunt during the week

Comment

Originally posted by Stites_Bites View Post
                Looking to try and get a public land hunt or two under my belt this upcoming season. For those who have hunted public land… is it best to set yourself up over a game trail/bedding area and wait it out? Or have y’all moved and played it aggressive trying to track movement/sign considering you have limited time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                It depends on where and what you are hunting.

Comment

When I hunt public land, I'm typically hunting a property I'm pretty familiar with and hunt multiple times during the season. For those I'm pretty aggressive and try hard not to sit in the same tree twice.

For new properties or on drawn hunts I start with a conservative approach and go for the low hanging fruit - Obvious game trails and fence crossings I can see from Google Maps. Likely since every Joe blow Bowhunter who's semi serious about hunting sees the exact same thing those spots are usually pressured heavy.

I move on to pinch points between creek systems and fields or roads..sometimes even just in between an acute slope and a creek. If those aren't panning out I'll check out points and see if anything is fresh. If it's remotely good sign there I'll set up with low expectations.

If all that fails I'll find an active scrape, freshen it and then hunt over it. Rinse and repeat. If I can I'll set up a camera on my way out and come back after the week/weekend to see if it was even a good spot.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                    Well, I own it. But you can use it.

Can I borrow some from ya too? I just can't get enough.

Comment

I’ll be in south Texas. Mesquite and thorny brush.

Is water the limiting resource? I have never hunted South Texas but arid comes to mind. Finding water sources may be the best and fastest way to finding deer.

Another approach may be to find a peak that will allow you to survey a large area. Try and glass for bedded deer and locate. This could be a good way to spend your midday if there is a spot for this.

What do the deer eat? Mesquite beans and what else? Learn about the preferred food sources before going down there. Hunting land next to private could yield if you find that the private is baiting with a feeder next door. Those deer may bed on public and at night going to his feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                        I can't tell if you're being sincere or taking a jab like some fellas on here recently have. Its tough love I guess!
                        I'm not being sarcastic- I have followed your on all your public land adventures on here and you have always proved yourself.

I am just one of your loyal followers..

Comment

I'm not being sarcastic- I have followed your on all your public land adventures on here and you have always proved yourself.

I am just one of your loyal followers..
                          I thought you were being sincere and appreciate it. Thanks for to positive support and following along. The writer that featured me in the Texas Trophy Hunters magazine and several newspapers about 2017 contacted me again today. He's publishing some more work on the draw hunts, and wanted to chat about my 2020 harvests, overall thoughts on the draw, & successes since getting involved. Said he'd send me a pdf file once completed and published in several news papers. Mainly ETX and possibly Dallas papers. I'll send it to ya

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                            I thought you were being sincere and appreciate it. Thanks for to positive support and following along. The writer that featured me in the Texas Trophy Hunters magazine and several newspapers about 2017 contacted me again today. He's publishing some more work on the draw hunts, and wanted to chat about my 2020 harvests, overall thoughts on the draw, & successes since getting involved. Said he'd send me a pdf file once completed and published in several news papers. Mainly ETX and possibly Dallas papers. I'll send it to ya

Man, That's awesome. Well deserved recognition, they got a hold of the right guy to chat for that publication.

For sure, I would enjoy reading that material once it comes out. Best of luck on the draw hunts this year bro..

Comment

Man, That's awesome. Well deserved recognition, they got a hold of the right guy to chat for that publication.

For sure, I would enjoy reading that material once it comes out. Best of luck on the draw hunts this year bro..
                              Yes sir. Thanks again. I got a sneak peak but out of respect for the author/writer I would like to wait until the offical publication is completed beforehand. Never met the guy in person but he is great to converse with and seems to be a very well rounded experienced hunter, 60yrs of age and still an athlete.

For the OP: Good question. It really all depends on the species, property/ecoregion, timing & alloted hunt period(alot), pressure, weather, sign fresh or old, experience, available setup, etc. Its alot. The only way I could actually try and help is through private message and go from there. (I'm not the best at private messages, I get alot and don't and can't answer them all.)

A short answer: BOTH. You just have to make judgement calls in the moment and learn by trail and error. I lean on more of the give it a try rather than wait PATIENTLY.

Comment

Looking to try and get a public land hunt or two under my belt this upcoming season. For those who have hunted public land… is it best to set yourself up over a game trail/bedding area and wait it out? Or have y’all moved and played it aggressive trying to track movement/sign considering you have limited time?

I take peace in knowing there isn't a right answer to this question. There are many tactics and they can all work. Figure out what you enjoy the most and do that. But if you're new to pub hunting, there are many factors that come into play that should dictate the decisions you make in terms of going after deer. Is the area pressured? How easy/hard is it to access? Are you seeing buck sign? Do you plan on hunting one piece over and over or bounce to different places? Do you like posting up and waiting or do you get inpatient and want to go track one down?

Any and all tactics can work so don't feel like you have to be locked into one. My best advice is get boots on the ground and scout hard. Look for food, water, bedding, old sign, hunter sign, tree stands, etc. In-season and post-season are best times for noting buck sign in my opinion. I use OnX to mark everything for future seasons. Then, just get in the woods and start hunting; don't overthink it. You'll learn what you need to as you get more experience.

And for the record, we all own this public land. This doesn't mean we claim areas as our own or pretend it's private land and break rules but we all ought to see this is our land and treat it as such. My 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                                X