No announcement yet.

Neighbor built a rifle range on the fence line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

place some highly reflective objects angled toward his rest area, or even at his targets . just so he can see better

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
      Point of the video is that its a myth that rounds just bury into the dirt. In fact we were trained to shoot low on targets in certain conditions as the skippers will bounce up and kill the enemy just the same. If they are hugging dirt you shoot the dirt in front of them. Anyone saying rounds wouldn’t come off a fence line range and into the OPs property is dead wrong.
      I can't remember the ratio of tracers versus regular rounds. But watching tracers flying everywhere after hitting an old deuce and a half at 300 yards told me that nearly all rounds were airborne and off to parts unknown. Weapon was an M60.
      Even shooting into the dirt at that distance produced some wild ricochet.
      Was at Ft Bragg with a pine forest and pretty large hill as a back drop. Some rounds looked to be headed to town.

Comment

Give him a gift of 30 rounds of 5.56 tracers. Make sure you are filming the rounds as they fly all over your property. My first time shooting tracers in the Army I couldn’t believe what rounds do after skipping the earth. We started a fire or two out at Ft Hood with those things. Rounds leave the range all the time.

https://youtu.be/DoQTFbPbg_g
        Hey, I bet you know where I can get some 5.56/.223 Starburst ammo, not tracers but exploding tips.

Comment

Point of the video is that its a myth that rounds just bury into the dirt. In fact we were trained to shoot low on targets in certain conditions as the skippers will bounce up and kill the enemy just the same. If they are hugging dirt you shoot the dirt in front of them. Anyone saying rounds wouldn’t come off a fence line range and into the OPs property is dead wrong.
          I was amazed on the first night fire we did. Bullets coming back towards the shooting line, up and the over us, it was certainly eye opening.

Comment

[emoji16]

Comment

Give him a gift of 30 rounds of 5.56 tracers. Make sure you are filming the rounds as they fly all over your property. My first time shooting tracers in the Army I couldn’t believe what rounds do after skipping the earth. We started a fire or two out at Ft Hood with those things. Rounds leave the range all the time.

https://youtu.be/DoQTFbPbg_g
              We were always starting range fire. It’s crazy what those 50’s do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                I can't remember the ratio of tracers versus regular rounds. But watching tracers flying everywhere after hitting an old deuce and a half at 300 yards told me that nearly all rounds were airborne and off to parts unknown. Weapon was an M60.
                Even shooting into the dirt at that distance produced some wild ricochet.
                Was at Ft Bragg with a pine forest and pretty large hill as a back drop. Some rounds looked to be headed to town.
                1 in 6 for small arms. I think aircraft go 1 in 12 or even higher. As you know behind any range in the military is the Impact Area. Where bombs, rockets, cannons and missiles are fired. Miles of uninhabited space. Well.... I have a story about the “uninhabited” part involving an MLRS crew, an Apache Squadron requesting to verify “moving targets” and a few Field Grades haha.
                Last edited by Ætheling; 06-16-2021, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                  Just curious, anybody here actually get a leo to go along with the bullet crossing a fence law? Looks like it would take a lot to prove, and it's only a class C violation... maybe a lawyer would be more effective. IDK

Seems like every neighbor I have has a feeder on the property line.
                  If projectiles can be recovered with a metal detector (may be easier in combination with backstop/billboard in place as mentioned) then it may be worth something if that neighbor would have to submit his firearms for ballistics testing every time a projectile was recovered. That's probably not likely but if it were to happen it would be a huge PITA and likely deterrent.

It's just flat irresponsible to even come close to a situation where your bullets could cross a fenceline.

Comment

By what you posted a few posts up, the neighbor could shoot way away from the boundary and still have bullets go over the fence too.

Still interested to hear more details on cabin distance etc. Still not enough info

Comment

From what I've found on the goggler his cabin is 10 feet of the property line

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

In

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                          Hey, I bet you know where I can get some 5.56/.223 Starburst ammo, not tracers but exploding tips.
                          My ammo all comes from here, Academy and online sales these days lol.

Comment

Put up some Thermal Cameras, will show you if they ever go over the fence, and great evidence

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                              By what you posted a few posts up, the neighbor could shoot way away from the boundary and still have bullets go over the fence too.

Correct, I am not sure at what rate of speed they slow after ricochet but its exponential energy loss. At some point the bouncers are non lethal, hell probably feel like a pebble fell out of tree but right along that fence line for a 100 yds could be lethal. Inside 50 I would guarantee is lethal.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                                I don’t know what hurt worse. That bullet in the backside or that proximal femur fracture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                I saw the fracture to, and kinda scratched my head. I'd like to see 2 views or 3 on that incident.

Comment

Working...
                                X