No announcement yet.

Somebody Havked My Info & Filed For Unemployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got hit last week. I Put a freeze on my credit. I work for a private company.

Comment

I’m getting it from the end of an employer. My little restaurant has had multiple request for unemployment from employees we’ve never heard of. I sure hope the TWC believes us unlike they did with COVID benefits from people who quit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just learned yesterday that someone opened a “Chime” banking account in my name. I received a debit card and information on how to set up direct deposits with my employer. At first I thought it was junk mail but the debit card had a chip and looked real. I tried calling Chime but apparently without the correct phone number attached to the account you never get to a live person.

I did email their support and explained that I didn’t open the account and if an account in my name existed it was not done so by me. I got a response within 5 minutes explaining that Chime takes reports of identity theft very serious and they would look into it. It will be interesting to see if they do anything or if I have to figure out how to shut it down myself.

Comment

I think they used my info to snag 2800$ from my bank account too. Luckily chase gave us our money back plus fees incurred.

Still a pain in the a s s to get all new account info.

Comment

I'm an IT Director and the best piece of advise I give is;
            1. DO NOT use same password for all your online activities, bank accounts, Netflix, electric company to pay your bills, etc.
            2. Use a password manager
            3. Constantly check your credit report
            4. DO NOT click on any emails that you think are safe and legit. Remember the days of using the good old phone...use it. When in doubt, pick up the phone and call and find out.
            5. forgot...use MFA - multiple factor authentication on ALL YOUR ONLINE ACCOUNTS.

Whether you were hacked via Experian, Target, Facebook, or any other other hundreds of hacks, you have to do your part and be security diligent.

I know this doesn't help your situation, but hope it helps someone else.

Comment

I got an email from my HR stating that I applied for Unemployment as well. Apparently this happened to several of my companys currently employed employees.

Originally posted by frios View Post
              1. DO NOT use same password for all your online activities, bank accounts, Netflix, electric company to pay your bills, etc.
              4. DO NOT click on any emails that you think are safe and legit. Remember the days of using the good old phone...use it. When in doubt, pick up the phone and call and find out.
              5. forgot...use MFA - multiple factor authentication on ALL YOUR ONLINE ACCOUNTS.

Whether you were hacked via Experian, Target, Facebook, or any other other hundreds of hacks, you have to do your part and be security diligent.

Im in Cybersecurity and I do all of those things and they still got me.

Comment

Happens to a co-worked Tuesday. Hr call and ask why they haven’t got his letter of resignation yet.

Comment

Got a call from my HR department today asking if I had filed for Unemployment. I told them I work way too hard to be on unemployment. Then put a freeze on my credit along with submitting fraud claims with Texas and Feds. Not sure if Blue collar crimes are pursued much...

For what it is worth I work for large multi-national company and they said this has been a huge problem of late.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                    I’m at work today and HR calls to ask me if I filed for unemployment due to my “permanent layoff”. What?!? I was 1 of 4 that got hacked and the city received unemployment paperwork on. Somebody, somehow got my name, address, date of employment, current rank and social security number. I have no idea how but if they have my employment hire date and current rank, wouldn’t that lead to believe they hacked my works system?
                    What should I do to lock this down? I know my stuff was compromised back when equifax (or whoever the creditor was) was hacked. They offered $150 or 7 years credit monitoring/protection. Should I notify them? I have no idea what to do in this situation.

Wife got caught up on this as well, as someone filed a unemployment claim with her current employer and forms were mailed to our house!? In addition to her, 3 folks I work with were caught up with this in past 3 months. Democrats in power now...

We put a freeze on all 3 credit agencies.
                    Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

A guy at work had this happen to him just a couple of days ago. Never heard of it in the past.

Comment

got a few of us at work also

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post

Good info. I do all this. It’s a breach elsewhere, not on my end.

Comment

Add me to the list. I supposedly filed in McAllen. My work denied the claim and filed it as fraudulent. I called and reported but will probably get the call back when I retire at 90. I live east of Waco and my employer is in Austin so I wonder why someone at the TWC didn't question my supposed filing in McAllen.

Comment

Same deal in my family i was just told

Comment

Same thing happened to a friend of mine this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X