Any thoughts on the new GM 6.6l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any thoughts on the new GM 6.6l

In the new truck market. I was looking at the new Silverado 2500HD with the 6.6L motor and 6-speed tranny. I actually love the simplicity of the system ( I think). The older I get, the fewer "extra's" I want. I am sick of working on all the electrical systems that break in cars.

So, any experience with the 6.6?

You will not get away from electronics in anything new. The 6.6 is more complex than the 6.0 it replaces and I did not notice a huge gain in power. The one I rode in had a work truck bed and tools so not sure how much that impacted it. My cousin has several in his fleet and they 'have no balls' according to him.

Comment

We have sold several (GMC) and haven't seen any issues yet. I have driven only 2500s with a 6.0 since 2007 and will go to the 6.6 when I buy again.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I understand all the new cars today are electronically loaded. I was just trying to get away from as much of dfm stuff as I can. I am sure it's great when it works, but 17 gajillion ways to shut off valves in the engine scares me long term.

Is the 6 speed transmission fairly solid? I know it's not great for MPG, but will it last?

Comment

It's definitely NOT the 6.0, there is much more noticeable power. I liked the way the transmission felt, but I didn't pull anything with it. The one I bought is W/T trim also, so not sure on any of the other stuff.

I also bought a F550 with ford's new 7.3L gas motor and the 10spd. I was very impressed with it too, but it's got really low gears, so it was tough to compare.

I'm a Chevrolet guy, and I havn't test driven a truck since I bought my 1st new one in '99. But when I get out of this last diesel, I'm gonna spend 1/2 a day in the Chevy, and 1/2 a day in the Ford, and buy the one I like best.

Comment

I like mine and have had it about 6 months. I pull a 41' fifth wheel and had enough power to pass a couple of vehicles when needed. I am very happy with mine . Towing has been a breeze in all of the road conditions I have encountered so far. Pulled it to Canton TX , Galveston and Austin from Tomball. The canton trip was high winds and had no issues at all .

Comment

Working...
            X