HVAC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HVAC question

I have a heat pump setup and it automatically switches between heat and electric heat so I never worried about changing to e heat. But it just had 2 error codes.

Suction temp thermistor failure
    Compressor discharge temp high

With the temps outside it has obviously been running a lot, except for when it’s our turn for blackouts. But I turned it off for a little bit and the codes went away. I set it to e heat now. Is there anything I need to be worried about or watching?

Not sure if it matters but unit is a year and a half old.

Comment

Heat pumps don’t work when it’s very cold. Put it on emergency heat and leave it til temps get higher.

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
        Heat pumps don’t work when it’s very cold. Put it on emergency heat and leave it til temps get higher.

That is what we did after reading the other thread.

When will you change yours back?

Comment

The system will engage strip heat when needed however e-heat is a way to isolate the condenser (outside unit) and run strip heat so if the condenser has a failure switch to “E-heat”

Comment

I have one that does nothing in emergency heat mode. Suspect that the thermostat is wired incorrectly. Rolling blackouts was wreaking havoc on control board fuses. Now, the control board is dead. Power surges are hell on electronics. I even have a whole house surge protector installed. Crazy times.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
              I have one that does nothing in emergency heat mode. Suspect that the thermostat is wired incorrectly. Rolling blackouts was wreaking havoc on control board fuses. Now, the control board is dead. Power surges are hell on electronics. I even have a whole house surge protector installed. Crazy times.

Did you check your breakers at the unit? I’ve seen them not even turned on or left on after initial startup of the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My brother is an HVAC tech in the Dakotas. Told me that heat pumps are just about worthless under 20 degrees. They spend too much time switching back and forth from heat and defrost mode. Just run Em-heat for now.
                We have our thermostat set on 62 so the heater doesn't have to run all the time

Comment

If you switch to emergency heat be ready for the electric bill shock! It is ridiculously expensive to use emergency heat mode.

Comment

Working...
                  X