Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #51
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Good advice SaltwaterSlick. Thanks.

This place is similar to yours as it’s pastures are part of a larger ranch.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #52
Cullbuck
Four Point

Hunt In: setx

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan View Post
Good luck "culling" especially in that part of the state. The only 2 rules I would put in place are.

1) if it makes you happy shoot it.
2) try to shoot bucks that are over 4.5 years old.

If you have any questions about rule #2, see rule #1.

Life is too short to be bickering over deer. It cracks me up all the people "managing" a low fence deer herd and friendships lost of this crazy idea.

Its really interesting to watch hunters "manage" a herd for years, argue over what deer to kill, lose frienships, with the focus on improving the quality of the herd. Then be kicked off of a lease, with no notice from the landowner.
This for the most part how our lease is set up.
Cullbuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #53
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Good advice SaltwaterSlick. Thanks.

This place is similar to yours as itís pastures are part of a larger ranch.
SS said it pretty well for sure.

Let me know if you have any openings!
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #54
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville
Default If you were going to start a hunting lease.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by matvxr View Post
I run two smaller leases. I Lease out to like minded friends and have zero rules. Pretty fun. I used to run a larger lease with rules, took the fun out of it.

good luck with that! lol

as far as culling goes, people are going to read into that word however they want to. We will "cull" around 15-18 bucks this year. some are old old, and some are 4-ish, but trash. I don't want to feed them anymore. I also don't want them filling a "spot" in our pastures. Why let a 4 year old 115" 8 point stay around when you have a feeder pen full of 3-5 year old 10's and 12's? I also donít want a scenario of almost mature inferior deer running off deer that have a lot of potential.

you have to kill something... killing off the bottom of the herd works.

that's not saying kill yearling spikes, or 2 year old 8's... I also donít think Iím going to eradicate bad genetics, BUT I do know Iím not going to have to feed their *** anymore! LOL.

, the word "cull" seems to get a lot of people fired up. It's pretty simple.. do you want *that* deer or not?

Last edited by kyle1974; 09-16-2020 at 09:34 AM.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #55
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Jeff, I don't have to tell you this, but the FIRST thing you should do is figure out yourself what YOU want as a philosophy and lease atmosphere since you're the "lease boss" and then find people who will fit that bill. This thread is the perfect example of why that should be the first thing you do. Just look at the posts from an attitude standpoint. Some say no rules, let me shoot what makes me happy... There are NO trophy ranches anywhere that run with that attitude. It's not bad or wrong, but not conducive to growing big deer (IF that's what you are trying to do). Others say don't shoot anything until it's 5.5 years old... Others have mentioned spikes ... It goes on and on... As you know, I've run leases for over 40 years, and learned a looooong time ago, if you are trying to fill a lease with members just to get the money together, you're asking for trouble. You need like-minded folks to form a successful group, no matter what your lease philosophy will be. But since it's YOUR lease, that philosophy should be set by you.

I happen to be part of a huge hunting operation now that has a fully funded management program of a large tract of land (hundreds of thousands of acres in total). The pasture I have is in the middle of over 70,000 acres under the same management program, It is NOT high fenced, but it is big enough and managed well enough that indeed we can have an effect on the quality of the deer we grow on the property. It takes time, but it works. If culling/managing for big deer did not work on low fenced places, there would be nothing special about hunting South Texas. It's ludicrous to believe otherwise... I'll not get into arguments or debates about it as it's worse than politics or religion arguments. I manage our lease, but I'm only part of a rather large group of like-minded lease managers that operates under the guidelines of a very well versed and paid wildlife biologist that is funded by a serious ranching/hunting operation...

One of the early posts gave you a pretty good suggestion as to how to start and that is take a serious survey and develop a bell curve of the herd and see what it looks like now. If you want to bend that curve, then set your guidelines to attach that portion of the curve... I can say with certainty that bending the Bell curve toward increasing the number of upper age bracket bucks is the strongest action you can take to grow big deer. What a "big" deer is is dependent on where you are located and the condition of the herd when you start... The other very important consideration is to look at total population and move as quickly as you can to bring the population in line with the property's ability to support the herd from a nutrition point of view... That would include taking out as many excess animals as you can and if possible a structured supplemental feeding program... Depending on the size and location of the property and the other properties around it, getting started on the TPWD MLDP may be worth considering... This is a very good tool that you can use to control population... What it boils down to is you can lower your hunter density without adversely effecting your harvest potential... With the MLD tags, if you wanted to you, yourself could go out and shoot all the does you needed to take off the property... Hunting off your TPWD hunting license tags, that is not likely to work...

If you want to talk about it, give me a call. You have my numbers...
Funny - I had just finished writing a reply very similar to yours. I have helped manage 9000 low fenced acres on a 16,000 acre LF ranch. Have done it now for 13 years.

Our LO and our members cull hard and we have seen the results. It is not the only reason for our success but we certainly believe it is a big part of it. We cull does hard and any buck that is 4 years or older with less than 10 points we are taking out. We have so many bucks with 10-20 points and score 160-200 there is zero use for any inferior buck. We are strict about not taking trophy bucks before the are at least age 6.5. We regularly let 160-180 inch and better bucks walk that are 4-5 years old.

I, like you, will not get into the cull or don't cull debate - all I know is what my eyes have shown me over the past 13 years of managing this place.
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #56
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Here are a couple bucks Iíve killed out there. Just to give yíall an idea.

I think with a small group of like minded hunters and a good feeding program we can grow some absolute studs.

Those saying shoot what makes you happy and have fun: shooting big bucks makes me happy. , and itís fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #57
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Unless you're high fence, culling is pissing in the wind. Let 'em all get a little age and shoot what you like. You'll be surprised what " inferior " deer can do with age and proper nutrition..
This right here
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #58
gwellstx
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt Co.

Quote:
Where we hunt the deer population is high. Those who say shoot the does to reduce deer numbers. Is there any concern about too many bucks? We already have lots of bucks. IMO they already outnumber the does. Iím currently on a lease that is right next to the place Iím considering. Iíve been on it 4 years now, and see lots of deer every hunt. Iíve killed bucks from 136Ē-154Ē in those 4 years. Thatís with most current members feeding nothing but corn. Iím wanting to grow trophy bucks, and have fun doing it.
I have always been of the mind that the ideal doe to buck ratio was 1:1, but that the average was 3:1 or higher. I have never even heard of a property having more bucks. Sounds like a good problem to have. That being said, I would still shoot for a 1:1 so maybe lower your minimum age on bucks to round out your numbers a bit (at least for a season or two) and even things out. If not, pass on a few does this year to bring up their numbers - but this won't help with your grocery bill.
gwellstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #59
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
good luck with that! lol

as far as culling goes, people are going to read into that word however they want to. We will "cull" around 15-18 bucks this year. some are old old, and some are 4-ish, but trash. I don't want to feed them anymore. I also don't want them filling a "spot" in our pastures. Why let a 4 year old 115" 8 point stay around when you have a feeder pen full of 3-5 year old 10's and 12's? I also don’t want a scenario of almost mature inferior deer running off deer that have a lot of potential.

you have to kill something... killing off the bottom of the herd works.

that's not saying kill yearling spikes, or 2 year old 8's... but in general, the word "cull" seems to get a lot of people fired up. It's pretty simple.. do you want *that* deer or not?

This ^^^^ is the situation I see myself being in. Lots of mouths to feed and some bucks just won’t even be what I’d consider a trophy. Making rules regarding how to hunt “trash bucks” and older ones that won’t score well is my concern.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #60
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
I agree 100%. Thatís exactly what it is.

However shooting two mature trophy bucks per member is not realistic for long term success. So in most lease set ups there is an allowance for the 2nd buck to be a ďcullĒ of some sort.

And the reason is because, you will have a hard time getting guys to join a lease where they are only allowed to kill one buck.

Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #61
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
And the reason is because, you will have a hard time getting guys to join a lease where they are only allowed to kill one buck.

Youíre not exactly cracking a code here

Again youíre 100% right.

For the prices of leases out there I believe 4 deer should be a real possibility for a member. Shoot does and a management for the meat and hunt a trophy for the wall.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #62
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
So you donít shoot any deer you consider inferior or undesirable until itís 5.5 years old?

What about a slick 6 at 4.5 or even 3.5?

Donít want to feed junk bucks to 5.5. What a waste. That bottom 10-15% could easily be killed at 3.5 or 4.5 for sure.

txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #63
AntlersBoy
Six Point

Hunt In: Push Co

I hunt in totally different area but have ran and do run several leases. On established leases no bucks taken without 4 years of pics. For the most part it ensures that we are taking 6+ year old deer. This has seemed to work for us and we have some big old deer roaming the hills now. Even with new members from year to year someone has pics of the deer to give you a starting point. As for starting up new leases, thatís tough. We did a committee/lease member vote. We also do 1 trophy 1 ďcullĒ, old bully feed hogs. But by the time these cagey deer get to 6 taking out 2 gets pretty tough. And most of our culls are someoneís trophy.

AntlersBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #64
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by matvxr View Post
I run two smaller leases. I Lease out to like minded friends and have zero rules. Pretty fun. I used to run a larger lease with rules, took the fun out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
good luck with that! lol
I think heís saying that getting like minded members is just as important as having rules. Yes, you can get rid of a member who breaks the rules for self gratification...but if you have a tight group who are all after the same end goal, rules donít come into play as much.

But then again, we all know how that goes some folks are fine with the management goal until they arenít then problems arise, it is what it is. I know of a group of hunters who all want big deer...the issue that occasionally arises is one persons ďbig deerĒ isnít what others think it should be. The lease manager has a little ďfunĒ for a while until everyone settles down, and then theyíre good. Itís a small headache that heís willing to put up with, in order to keep the group happy as a whole and continue to hunt together. I wouldnít want that job, but he enjoys it
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #65
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

Quote:
They can rack up a feed bill for sure. I usually have 20 deer at my feeder. I agree with you. Iím not really culling in an effort to drastically change the herd. I do think killing a below average buck is 100% effective in preventing him from breeding though
problem is those "inferior bucks" have been proven to sire trophy buck offspring at a rate equal to what "trophy bucks" sire. So you have just as good of chance to ruin your future trophies as you do improving them. Plenty of science out there to back it up.

So what do you do?

Let all deer grow to maturity (5+) and make sure you keep your buck and doe ratio and numbers in check. Shoot enough mature deer to keep population where you want it, but dont shoot young deer, if you do shoot young does since they have a lower natural mortality rate than young bucks.
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #66
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany / Sterling City / Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
Trophy at least 5.5 and over 130
Management At least 5.5 and under 130
I totally agree with leaving the # of points out of it, only shooting mature bucks, and setting a score as a trophy/management threshold.

Also set realistic goals for the area. If the lease is 3000 acres, and only has 2 deer over 130'' on it, don't set the trophy/management bar at 130''.
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #67
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDispatcher View Post
I think heís saying that getting like minded members is just as important as having rules. Yes, you can get rid of a member who breaks the rules for self gratification...but if you have a tight group who are all after the same end goal, rules donít come into play as much.

But then again, we all know how that goes some folks are fine with the management goal until they arenít then problems arise, it is what it is. I know of a group of hunters who all want big deer...the issue that occasionally arises is one persons ďbig deerĒ isnít what others think it should be. The lease manager has a little ďfunĒ for a while until everyone settles down, and then theyíre good. Itís a small headache that heís willing to put up with, in order to keep the group happy as a whole and continue to hunt together. I wouldnít want that job, but he enjoys it

I just read "no rules", and then had a minor stroke! hahah

I run the lease with as few as possible, but you're always going to need guidelines of some sort, even if they're the landowner's rules. keeping it fun should be a huge goal though. I agree, too many leases have lost that aspect of keeping things fun.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #68
ATXRaider83
Six Point

Hunt In: Blackwell, Tx

Don't bring cheap whiskey.
ATXRaider83 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #69
Txsurveyor2014
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma and Angelina County

I would think just 1 "trophy" buck at 5.5+ along with a couple does per member, and then put it in writing that additional deer that meet the age requirement will be awarded on a lottery system with total numbers being completely dependent upon deer survey data. This way, if the survey indicates that there are enough mature deer, it would be possible for each member to get 2 bucks and if not then everyone has the same odds to have the ability to shoot a second "trophy".
Txsurveyor2014 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #70
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A warm enclosed blind

Quote:
Where we hunt the deer population is high. Those who say shoot the does to reduce deer numbers. Is there any concern about too many bucks? We already have lots of bucks. IMO they already outnumber the does. I’m currently on a lease that is right next to the place I’m considering. I’ve been on it 4 years now, and see lots of deer every hunt. I’ve killed bucks from 136”-154” in those 4 years. That’s with most current members feeding nothing but corn. I’m wanting to grow trophy bucks, and have fun doing it.
I bet we haven't shot 30 doe's in our years on our place. No way we could shot enough of them. We feed corn, not protein. We have good trophy minded hunters. We take good care of the property.
Our deer come and go size wise every year. Your place sounds like ours in most respects.

We were discussing it last year. We gotta get back to just having fun hunting and stop worrying about how big is he or how old is he. Enjoying the time spent with friends and family out there. Enjoy seeing a lot of critters. If ya wanna shoot, then by golly shoot. More fun telling stories about how big he was or just not old enough around the fire than actually shooting one to me now a days.

Your deer at 137-154 are way bigger than 80-90% any of the people hunting get to see or have a chance to shoot anywhere. Have fun and enjoy them like you said. Which I know you do.

I'll add. If you "HAVE TO" shoot 2 bucks than your probably not a Trophy hunter! Unless you shoot a 160 early and a 180 runs out there later on in the season. Then you got some splainin to do to the boys at camp LOL!

Last edited by Abcdj; 09-16-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #71
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Give me your opinions on management/cull buck rules.

Iím considering taking on another lease starting next year.

It would be Archery only.
Hunters would be required to feed protein.
This would be a lease that should grow 140Ē+ bucks.

I figured 1 trophy, 2 doe, and at least one management.

Question is what would you consider management?

This is a place near Eldorado. Lots of deer in the area.
I'd get a hold of AntlerCollector, I think he manages several leases......
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #72
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Oh good lord with the " we have a16 k acre pasture,
control 9k acres, pounded culls for 13 years, culling LF works ". Are we not realizing here 80 percent of your deer don't leave your property, and you've had an opportunity to manage the same herd through 3 whitetail generations? I'm also sure these same deer are also fed extremely well.

You've created a HF environment in a low fence setting, you're basically a unicorn. Less than a tenth of 1 percent of hunters ( land owners not included) will have an opportunity to experience this situation. Mainly due to finances.

Go tell the guy in East Texas with 600 acres, or the gent in West Texas with 2500 acres that culling works. It'll never happen.

Good luck on filling your spots Jeff.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #73
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

As mentioned, you need to define what your primary goal is or expectations for the property. Find guys that have that same goal. From there work together to set the rules up. So for instance, it appears your goal is harvesting older animals and reaching scores 140 plus. Find guys that want to do that as well and not just have 'fun' and shoot stuff.

Second, this program can help you stay organized and manage multiple properties as well. To use for one property and group is free. To run multiple properties using this cost range from $25/r, $60/yr, and $99/yr. If you have the internet and/or a smart phone, computer, or tablet you can log in your private account anytime.

It also has satellite mapping if you choose to place where stands, feeders, or other landmarks are on the property. That is up to each group in how to use these tools described.
Attached Images

Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 12:18 PM   #74
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

AC, check your text messages...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #75
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Unless you're high fence, culling is pissing in the wind. Let 'em all get a little age and shoot what you like. You'll be surprised what " inferior " deer can do with age and proper nutrition..
Amen, age = good deer

Age & lots of cotton seed ! Can’t have to much of either

Last edited by pilar; 09-16-2020 at 12:29 PM.
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #76
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
control 9k acres, pounded culls for 13 years, culling LF works ". Are we not realizing here 80 percent of your deer don't leave your property, and you've had an opportunity to manage the same herd through 3 whitetail generations? I'm also sure these same deer are also fed extremely well.

You've created a HF environment in a low fence setting, you're basically a unicorn. Less than a tenth of 1 percent of hunters ( land owners not included) will have an opportunity to experience this situation. Mainly due to finances.

Go tell the guy in East Texas with 600 acres, or the gent in West Texas with 2500 acres that culling works. It'll never happen.

So I apologize for experiencing this opportunity by working out butts off for years and being a unicorn. How dare me do so.

I wasn't telling anyone (much less a guy in East Texas) anything - I simply stated what we are doing and how it has worked for us

And apparently there are two unicorns on here - the guy I quoted -
Old 09-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #77
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:

I’ve been in agreement with all your posts, and value your experience.

This one has me confused. Was it directed at someone in particular? I can’t tell.

Nevermind I just saw the response above mine.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 09-16-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #78
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Sounds like a great property and you are starting off right. Don't sweat what the less than serious guys say. Shooting trophy deer consistently takes a solid plan and everyone following the plan. If potential members can't hack that, send them packing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #79
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
However shooting two mature trophy bucks per member is not realistic for long term success. So in most lease set ups there is an allowance for the 2nd buck to be a ďcullĒ of some sort.
So I would say set your trophy score 140 or 160 or whatever fits your place and the age at 6. Then I would set the management score below that and the age at 6. I would let every buck hit 6 at a minimum before killing it. Oh and massacre the doe.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #80
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

I'd be a member of this fine lease in a heartbeat with you Jeff.

One ranch I was on in Brady

trophy= 5.5 years or older and 120" up

Management=4.5 or older 9 pt or less but if scored 120 that was your trophy

Cull= 3.5 years 7 pts or less

We got one trophy and one of the other....but we did not all kill 2 bucks every year, the 2700 acres we were on was bow only and a great ranch, wouldn't sustain with 12 of us killing 2 bucks a piece every season.

Helicopter and camera surveys helped to support this.

We fed protein up until Sept 1 and was part if lease fee.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #81
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Where we hunt the deer population is high. Those who say shoot the does to reduce deer numbers. Is there any concern about too many bucks? We already have lots of bucks. IMO they already outnumber the does. Iím currently on a lease that is right next to the place Iím considering. Iíve been on it 4 years now, and see lots of deer every hunt. Iíve killed bucks from 136Ē-154Ē in those 4 years. Thatís with most current members feeding nothing but corn. Iím wanting to grow trophy bucks, and have fun doing it.
Hence my response.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #82
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
This^^^^^ shoot on age and leave the rest to mother nature. We humans are way to egotistical when we start believing we can control things nature related.

If your age goal is 5.5(sorry all you .5 haters), try to shoot them all.....you cant. Even if you do, you will have a new crop of 5.5 yr olds next year. I personally like to set the bar at 6.5 or 7.5 but everyone's goals and situations are different. Just set the age bar and strive for it with every kill. Oh and feed them as much as the budget will allow.

Reading through more of the thread I see the potential there. When I was seriously managing I had broad goals stated but every buck was individually scrutinized and a decision on killing or not killing were made on each individual known deer prior to the start of the season. Thus a shoot and no shoot list was established. The broad goals covered the deer that shows up out of nowhere so a hunter could make a quick decision if need be. Hunting a quality low fence place gave me that opportunity. I could do my best managing the known deer but there was always the excitement of a new deer showing up and a quick decision being made in the heat of the moment. Hunting with like minded people really is a special thing.

Last edited by rtp; 09-16-2020 at 03:19 PM.
rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #83
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXRaider83 View Post
Don't bring cheap whiskey.
This guy gets it.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #84
huntindude
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazoria county and Menard

If your deer density is high which likely it is. And your doe buck ratio is where you want it then you need to take roughly the same number of bucks as does. If youíve got got a lot of bucks running around shooting a couple spikes or 3.5 year old ďcullsĒ will not hurt a thing. Have a rule for trophies to be at least 4.5 or 5.5. and shoulder mount quality. That gives everyone a real shot at killing 4 deer if you take 2 does a piece which most will want. The ďcullĒ should be easy to find at make great deer for kids and such. I do not like the thought of having to have pictures of a deer to be able to be shot as 1, it doesnít account for any new deer thatís never been on camera and 2 it sucks the fun out of it. At the end of the day itís just a dang deer

huntindude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #85
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntindude View Post
If your deer density is high which likely it is. And your doe buck ratio is where you want it then you need to take roughly the same number of bucks as does. If youíve got got a lot of bucks running around shooting a couple spikes or 3.5 year old ďcullsĒ will not hurt a thing. Have a rule for trophies to be at least 4.5 or 5.5. and shoulder mount quality. That gives everyone a real shot at killing 4 deer if you take 2 does a piece which most will want. The ďcullĒ should be easy to find at make great deer for kids and such. I do not like the thought of having to have pictures of a deer to be able to be shot as 1, it doesnít account for any new deer thatís never been on camera and 2 it sucks the fun out of it. At the end of the day itís just a dang deer

I agree with you on taking pics beforehand. The lease Iím on out there now we have to submit pics for approval before we can kill a management buck. Iíve only killed two in my 5 seasons out there. It requires you to see the deer on more than one occasion. It does tend to take some of the fun out of it.

I want members who can age, and score deer on the hoof and be pretty dang close. Iím not wanting someone just getting started in bow hunting.

Thereís some really good info here. I appreciate all the input.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #86
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
So I apologize for experiencing this opportunity by working out butts off for years and being a unicorn. How dare me do so.

I wasn't telling anyone (much less a guy in East Texas) anything - I simply stated what we are doing and how it has worked for us

And apparently there are two unicorns on here - the guy I quoted -
There are actually 3. I know of another who posted here under the same situation, you boys are sporty today. I like it
Old 09-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #87
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
There are actually 3. I know of another who posted here under the same situation, you boys are sporty today. I like it
well that was a total BS response - we did nothing wrong other than to not go along with your ideas - if you can't get to a "unicorn" status then that is on you - again sorry we don't fit into your way of doing things - your response was totally uncalled for -tired of guys getting bashed by guys like you who simply stated how they do things

I am out - we will just keep suffering through killing world class LF deer - night
Old 09-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #88
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
well that was a total BS response - we did nothing wrong other than to not go along with your ideas - if you can't get to a "unicorn" status then that is on you - again sorry we don't fit into your way of doing things - your response was totally uncalled for -tired of guys getting bashed by guys like you who simply stated how they do things
Still sporty I see, still like it. No one said you did anything wrong? Your situation is different then 99.9 percent of the other hunters on this site. Carry on or have a coldly... or be upset, no skin off my back.

AC, my apologies for derailing your thread a bit sir.

Good evening gents...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #89
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
You carrying a big spoon again?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #90
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
You carrying a big spoon again?

Lmao... heckler alert! Go chase a bad guy or something!!

Old 09-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #91
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Lmao... heckler alert! Go chase a bad guy or something!!

LOL!!!

Man I just wanna go fishin. Here or the water. Sometimes bites are easier here

Old 09-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #92
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Quote:
Still sporty I see, still like it. No one said you did anything wrong? Your situation is different then 99.9 percent of the other hunters on this site. Carry on or have a coldly... or be upset, no skin off my back.

AC, my apologies for derailing your thread a bit sir.

Good evening gents...

control 9k acres, pounded culls for 13 years, culling LF works ". YOUR QUOTE

I love guys like you who post something and then deny they ever said it - read your quote above - you only wish you were on a lease like we are on -guys like you pop off and then brush it off - "roll eyes" certainly insinuates we are doing "something wrong" - you stuck your foot in your mouth and now will not admit it - you are correct - you did derail the thread. I said nothing to warrant your response - again simply stated how we do it

Let me guess - now a guy like you comes back with another smart a** remark to try to make it sound like you really did not mean it and that I should just have a beer - give me a break

You keep bashing folks on this forum who dont agree with you and we will keep killing world class bucks - you tha man

Last edited by Huntingfool; 09-16-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #93
sharpstick35
Eight Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

I'm a land owner and don't lease but i still have rules for myself, the kids and guests. i have more bucks that does so does are off limits again this year. i have 2 fork horns on the list, one has a piece of his jaw missing and the other had a deformed antler growing down the side of his head. i have one 6 point that is almost a 4 due to small brow tines and he's 3 yo. my trophy target this year is a 9 point that's 7 yo and scores around 150.
if it's not one of those then let it walk. the only exception is if it's a kids first deer
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #94
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:

control 9k acres, pounded culls for 13 years, culling LF works ". YOUR QUOTE

I love guys like you who post something and then deny they ever said it - read your quote above - you only wish you were on a lease like we are on -guys like you pop off and then brush it off - "roll eyes" certainly insinuates we are doing "something wrong" - you stuck your foot in your mouth and now will not admit it - you are correct - you did derail the thread. I said nothing to warrant your response - again simply stated how we do it

Let me guess - now a guy like you comes back with another smart a** remark to try to make it sound like you really did not mean it and that I should just have a beer - give me a break

You keep bashing folks on this forum who dont agree with you and we will keep killing world class bucks - you tha man
Had to spit my drink out with the " wish I was on your lease " comment but keep trying there buttercup. My deer are uncontested LF giants, and I have a few native HF to boot too. Take your pick.

My apology was to AC not you "fool." I enjoy sporty chaps like you, easy to wind up on the ol dubya dubya.... I'll never understand it, but hey again no skin off my back. Also if you look above there winder licker you started quoting me... I was in my lane, you swerved over.... enjoy your evening if you're not too upset.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #95
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

This donít have anything to do with management but hereís my number one rule- no guest hunting. If you donít pay you donít play.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #96
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn21 View Post
This donít have anything to do with management but hereís my number one rule- no guest hunting. If you donít pay you donít play.
Good rule! Especially for a trophy lease.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #97
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Ttt.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2020, 09:28 PM   #98
LeatherNeck55
Spike

Hunt In: N TX

culling is a tough question that starts with the size of your lease. If you are small and the neighbors are not on board you could be fighting an uphill battle. I do know from experience it is a tough one to get everyone on the lease to agree on the rules. So with that being said as the ramrod, make a choice and stick by it. as long as it is established and known up front then it is hard to argue
LeatherNeck55 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #99
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Some people should really pay attention to threads throughout the year before they run off at the keyboard

Old 09-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #100
bollomb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trinity

Would you do Community stands?
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top