2020 Duramax question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 Duramax question

I bought a new 2020 Duramax 2500 6 weeks ago and just turned 4000 miles. When I picked it up it had 1/2 tank of DEF, I have filled it up once and now in 1/4 of a tank. So basically 1-1/4 tank of DEF IN 4000 miles. Does this seem right I know on my dodges and Ford I would get a lot more miles out of a tank than that.

How often are y’all filling yours up. This is my first GMC ever

Will my was doing same thing. There is recall. Had my computer reflashed not using DEF now.

Comment

I dunno how much mine actually holds,but I put about 6 gallons every 5k miles.Maybe a little more miles than that..2016 Powerstroke.89,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dc78 View Post
        Will my was doing same thing. There is recall. Had my computer reflashed not using DEF now.
        Thanks, I’d love to delete it but just can’t see doing it to a new truck with 100,000 mile warranty

Comment

I have an 18 and I go through a tank about every 4-5k miles. When towing I’ll go through some more.

Comment

Got a 2019, just got back from a 5000 mile trip and filled it up the first 500 miles then again the last 200 miles. So basically about 4500 miles on a tank.

Comment

That's not right

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

4000 miles is like from DFW to LA (California) and back to about Deming NM on 1 tank? I don't think so. Even if you have a 80 gal tank @ 20 miles/per gal = 1600 miles . Something is not right with the data...

Comment

Originally posted by locknload View Post
                  4000 miles is like from DFW to LA (California) and back to about Deming NM on 1 tank? I don't think so. Even if you have a 80 gal tank @ 20 miles/per gal = 1600 miles . Something is not right with the data...
                  HUH?
                  I usually get about 4000 miles on 2.5 gallons 2017 Ram 2500

Comment

DEF not fuel...

Comment

I guess I never pay much attention to mine (2015). Just add a jug when it gets under 1000 miles left.
                      I do know the tanks on gm are smaller than Ford. I can never add 5 gallons without over filling. That’s why I just buy a jug at a time.

Biggest issue I see is that the dealer didn’t top that sucker off when it was new.

Comment

I have a 2018 L5P I was getting 1 gallon per 1,000 to 1500 miles depending on if I was towing or not. I had the computer reflashed on a recall now I'm getting 1500 miles on a gallon and towing I'm getting 1000 miles a gallon

Comment

My 2020 Duramax was using a lot also at first. Had a recall on it for this when mine hit around 20,000 miles and it starting using a lot less. I'm getting around 7000 miles out of a full tank now.
                          Last edited by fishman; 07-06-2020, 06:23 AM.

Comment

The post is about DEF. My 2019 holds 5 gallons easy. I had the recall done before my trip. I did have a truck camper in the bed and running in tow mode the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by Headhunter View Post
                              ...........When towing I’ll go through some more.
                              That’s not really how it should work, unless you're towing in stop and go traffic. Your Diesel Exhaust Filter gets less particulates "clogging" the screen the more sustained, higher RPM's you run (like towing on the highway). When unloaded, driving in a lot of stop and go traffic, you burn fuel much less efficiently and particulates clog the screen, necessitating a "burn" to clean the filter.

Comment

Working...
                              X