Ford F-250 New vs. Used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford F-250 New vs. Used

I’m about to be in the market for a Diesel F-250 and am trying to decide whether to buy new or slightly used. If I go used, I’d want a 2018-2020 with no more than 40,000-45,000 miles. I definitely don’t need or want anything too fancy, so I’m mainly looking for a XLT or possibly a nicer optioned STX.

For the guys that have recently been in my position, do you think it’s worth going for a new one, and if so, how much more money would a new one realistically cost out the door compared to a used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020 has the new fuel delivery system and transmission. I don’t own a newer one but was very close to buying one and this seemed to be a pretty big selling point.

Ultimately I bought a gasser. Happy with decision.

Comment

I know that in my market, used trucks sell for a premium and a diesel that is 1-2 years old with that low of miles as you are looking for will go for near what you can buy one new.

In that case, my opinion would be the extra money might be worth spending to make sure you are not buying someone else's problem.

Comment

Not a diesel, but I paid 47,000 out the door for a new 2020 F350 C/C STX FX4 4x4 in May.

Hard to find truck with the new 7.3 gas and a 3.73 rear end with a long bed! Lot's of extras in this thing that i will never learn what they are or use them!

Comment

Keep in mind the death wobble issue. Supposedly it was fixed with the ‘20’s. I would buy new if you can swing it!

Comment

Man, I bought a brand new 2017, got a great price, but still...if I could find a gently used one (like some city yuppie bought it and traded it back in when he couldn't learn to park it) and buy a used one with $10k miles on it and save an additional $7-10K, I think I would do that next time. I'm going to drive mine for another year or two and I will start looking for a used King Ranch. If I don't find what I want, I'll just buy new at the end of the day...can't take money with you to the grave so....

Comment

I bought a 20 lariat 3 days ago.
              There was about 8k difference in that and the xlt.. im not sure if you call buying a 70k dollar truck a good deal but drive out was about 8 k less than sticker..

Comment

A gently used truck in my area was MAYBE a couple thousand less. It was worth it for me to have warranty, better rate etc and go new. I was in the same position as you-ended up with a '20 XLT premium diesel. Was almost 8k off sticker

Comment

It was also important for me to know the history of the truck. I fully plan on driving 10 years, so staying from scratch I can keep records of everything

Comment

Lol, Im in the same boat right now. Im finding 18-19's XLTs with ~40k miles for 40-42K. I heard the '21s come out in Sep, and you could start finding better deals on 20's.

Comment

I was in your boat a month ago. Decided to go slightly used and am fine with that decision. Found a 2017 F250 King Ranch with 42k miles. Already had a leveling kit, wheels/brand new 35s, and K&N air Filter. Looks brand new. Paid a little over $50k for it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzy View Post
                        2020 has the new fuel delivery system and transmission. I don’t own a newer one but was very close to buying one and this seemed to be a pretty big selling point.

Ultimately I bought a gasser. Happy with decision.

Yup. I waited for years for the 10 speed transmission to come out. I usually shy away from first year component changes but my 2014 had 297,000 miles and was time to go. I have had the 2020 for about a month and really like it. I think the changes and relative minor difference in price supports a new truck. Then again, a good friend of mine owns the dealership and sells them to me for (true) cost because I am a fine American. That really cuts down on the price difference when they effectively kick in an extra $2k of holdback. The 2020 diesels have a 3" hitch as well that is SOLID!

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                          I know that in my market, used trucks sell for a premium and a diesel that is 1-2 years old with that low of miles as you are looking for will go for near what you can buy one new.

In that case, my opinion would be the extra money might be worth spending to make sure you are not buying someone else's problem.
                          This is exactly why I bout new for my last 3 F250’s

I’m currently in an f150 but if I was looking to buy now and wanted to save a few bucks I’d be looking for a 1 owner 2015-17 with 60k-80kmiles. Bang for your buck will be in that range.

Several nice used 250’s listed in the classifieds currently

Comment

Oh, and as notedly others on different threads, you never know if a prior owner had a DEF ooops on a used one and just dropped the tank/swapped filters and dumps it.

Comment

I bought a gently used 2019 F350 CC SRW LWB 4x4 Lariat w/19K miles in September & saved $20K off the original $74K sticker price. Extremely happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X