How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice on a fly rod.

I am looking at getting a heavier weight rod for trying some reds and trout out on the coast. I have a 5wt that I used when I was stationed in Idaho, but I have a feeling that will be a little lite for salt water.

looking to keep entire combo under $300

Comment

Originally posted by egress81 View Post

I am looking at getting a heavier weight rod for trying some reds and trout out on the coast. I have a 5wt that I used when I was stationed in Idaho, but I have a feeling that will be a little lite for salt water.

I'd recommend an 8wt. I've done it with a 7wt but you'll appreciate that 8wt on a windy day.

Comment

Caught a bunch of golf course perch on my lunch break.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
          Caught a bunch of golf course perch on my lunch break.
          My favorite thing to do. While I day dream of my next trip down to the surf... or my first trip to some western state to go trout fishing... I absolutely love hitting a small pond with some gills and trying my luck that day.

Comment

I am new to the coast fishing scene... but I will tell you from the 2 weekends of fishing the surf/jetty, that you shouldn't use a setup/line not intended for saltwater.

On post #499 on this thread, I posted a similar question, and got some responses. I specifically wanted some opinions on this combo. It is only $190 with free shipping.

Most of the folks on here are using some high priced/high end stuff, so I didn't get any hits.

I will say, if you look on post #555, that I was successful with this combo out of the box. I like that the rod has a lifetime warranty. The reel is pretty basic and I don't know what it would be like to get on some bull reds with it... but with the fish I was catching 16" average, I never had to go to the reel.

Anyways, there is no wrong or right... but this is a consideration. The guys I purchased it through (Amazon seller) were really nice to deal with and answered a bunch of questions.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              My favorite thing to do. While I day dream of my next trip down to the surf... or my first trip to some western state to go trout fishing... I absolutely love hitting a small pond with some gills and trying my luck that day.
              No need to go west for trout! Hit the Guadalupe here or make the run (6hrs from the b/cs area) to broken bow Oklahoma. In 10 hours you can be on the white river in Arkansas or the roaring river in Missouri. All well worth the drive. Sleep in the truck, eat pbj sammiches and it will only cost you gas and a permit. As much as I love to hunt, I'm a fisherman first. It's much easier to drive out of state and catch fish than it is to shoot critters.

Comment

No need to go west for trout! Hit the Guadalupe here or make the run (6hrs from the b/cs area) to broken bow Oklahoma. In 10 hours you can be on the white river in Arkansas or the roaring river in Missouri. All well worth the drive. Sleep in the truck, eat pbj sammiches and it will only cost you gas and a permit. As much as I love to hunt, I'm a fisherman first. It's much easier to drive out of state and catch fish than it is to shoot critters.
                Regarding the Guad: It isn't just about the trout. It is about the location/scenery as well. I have fished the Guad ahead of Canyon Lake, as well as the Blanco... and fishing for smallmouth bass in tight water is a blast. I've avoided the Guad below the dam so far just because while I know they stock trout there and there is a some history... I just haven't felt compelled enough to chase trout THERE! They stock trout in a pond near me... and I have had little luck because they all go for those power bait bites like the pellets they are fed in the holding tanks. Then they die off or are caught before they really switch over.

I really really really enjoyed catching those speks (first trout I have actually caught on a fly.) I figure for Texas... those are the trout I'll chase.

I have thought about Arkansas; but honestly never thought about OK.

Comment

NXT 8/9 'kit' is $225. I've had good luck with the 4/5wt combo.

Comment

All fresh water game fish are stocked to some extent. The guad is rumored to have a number of "wild" trout. Stocked fish that have been there long enough to revert back to their natural instincts. Trout live year round in the guad too. I haven't been there in years. A fly rod and a trad bow are just as much about the travel as the success at taking critters. I have seen some beautiful and remote parts of the world by looking over a fishing rod or through the sight window of a bow.

Comment

So I was going through a bunch of stuff I inherited from my late father in law...

Is this a fly tying setup or....? I don't know what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
                        Caught a bunch of big browns with Jason Loyd, a great guide on the White River, the last week of July. Look him up if you need a guide there.
                        Where does he guide out Of? I usually stay in mountain home

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post

So I was going through a bunch of stuff I inherited from my late father in law...

That is for soldering wires together, not for fly tying.

I don't know if you seen where I posted it but if you need to borrow a rod, I've got several you can borrow until you get another one.

Comment

Originally posted by klooney View Post

That is a hobby vise. I have one. Useful for holding things that need to be soldered, glued, or painted.

A fly tying vise has to have a rigid clamp as you are putting quite a bit of pressure when you are wrapping with thread.

BTW, I had tied up an small assortment of a dozen simple bluegill/bass flies for you a couple weeks ago. If you PM me your shipping address, I will put them in the mail for you.

Comment

All fresh water game fish are stocked to some extent. The guad is rumored to have a number of "wild" trout. Stocked fish that have been there long enough to revert back to their natural instincts. Trout live year round in the guad too. I haven't been there in years. A fly rod and a trad bow are just as much about the travel as the success at taking critters. I have seen some beautiful and remote parts of the world by looking over a fishing rod or through the sight window of a bow.
                              Yeah, don't get me wrong... I am not a purist or anything of the sort. Heck, I prefer it if I can keep the fish I catch so I can eat them. I am a big proponent of stocking programs.

I know that Colorado stocks their trout!

It isn't about catching stocked vs native/wild/whatever fish... it is just about the experience. The natural habitat itself. Put another way... Most times I like to fish the water, and pull out whatever that water holds.

Comment

Day two in Colorado

Day Two Here

Comment

Working...
                                X