• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen several on my place in Van Zandt county. Very cool critters

Comment

Too friendly
      Attached Files

Comment

Went tree rat hunting the other day behind some good curr dogs, good times but no fox squirrels. Rarely see them besides the local golf courses here.
        Last edited by Jcjohnson; 01-22-2020, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I've seen a few of those around Lake Austin while fishing

Comment

Yea, there are some squirrels in San Marcos area, up towards Kyle, that are huge and they are black. They are definitely a different species of squirrel, but I have no idea what they are. Both of my sisters used to live in San Marcos, when they went to South West Texas. One of my sisters went to my mother's one day, my mother's dogs tried to tear her car apart, I figured out there was something under the hood of the car, popped the hood and found one of those big black squirrels, it made it up in a tree. So there may be some of those off of 306 area by now, but it was only one squirrel, so maybe not.

Comment

Got one at one of the feeders on my place

Have seen quite a few in this part of the state (NE Texas)

Comment

The black ones people see here in the hill country are probably rock squirrels.

This is a female rock squirrel that lives under my neighbors house. Males are built like weight lifters and are close to jet black on the front half and lighter on the back half. They almost never climb trees.
                Attached Files

Comment

The squirrel is nice but Brownings BL-22 Grade II are the sweetest little guns ever
                  Last edited by Anteloper; 01-22-2020, 11:16 PM.

Comment

I've killed a few back home in NE Louisiana.

Comment

Had one in Leon for a while. But just one
                      Saw one at kingwood golf course last year

Boy, I love that rifle. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great picture. They were all over when we hunted on the Pecos River in the late 90s.

Comment

We have tons of them here in Nebraska. Never seen so many black squirrels before moving here.

Comment

Always called them rock squirrels.

Comment

My moms place off Shephard near the Heights in Houston has a bunch of them running around. My mom thinks its just one that travels thoughout the whole neighborhood daily...im not going to ruin it for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                                My moms place off Shephard near the Heights in Houston has a bunch of them running around. My mom thinks its just one that travels thoughout the whole neighborhood daily...im not going to ruin it for her.
                                It probably is. Squirrels travel farther than I thought. I started shooting squirrels here at the house one year because they were getting into the porch ceiling. I killed 63, the next year 58 then 53 and then it dropped down to 36 and then 8 to 10 every year since. My neighbors over a mile away say they hardly ever see a squirrel again. I think my squirrels were his squirrels and I killed them all.

Comment

Working...
                                X