Anyone do DIY stocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone do DIY stocks?

So I bought all the components for a Ruger 10/22 takedown build... my first 10/22... but I dun goofed. I bought a receiver with a rail from Brownell's and a barrel that could with a rail as well. I'm a "gotta see it first" type person, so I didn't realize that I'd run into both rails running into each other and the thing not going together.

So, instead of getting another barrel (because I really like what I read on the barrel) I decided to purchase another receiver...your typical receiver without the rail. Now everything fits.

I was going to return the railed receiver, but it's kinda scratched up from me putting in all the components. I'm not sure they'll accept it in it's condition. It's not beat up, but you can definitely tell someone was trying to do something. Anyway, I thought I might build a 2nd one, but one with a handmade walnut stock that I could do myself.

This has me wondering if any of y'all have tried making your own stocks. I was going to use the MagPul backpacker that I purchased as a template...

Is this going to work? Any tips/tricks? Is walnut going to work?

TTT

Ending up going to Woodcraft yesterday and bought a really nice piece of flame billet Maple and walnut. Thought of doing the stock in maple with an inlay of my son's name. Right now I am undecided to do the inlay with the walnut or an epoxy resin, either a metallic red or gray. Anyone have any experience with inlays that can help me decide which would look best?

Comment

In. Always wanted to do stock. I would do the epoxy for ease, but I take the safe bet most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
        In. Always wanted to do stock. I would do the epoxy for ease, but I take the safe bet most of the time.
        I am a slow worker due to other commitments, but I will be sure to update.

Comment

Tough decision, but I believe Alumilite Clear with the Slow casting time would be the best option. Purchased ten 3-gram pigment samples, 30 ml cups and coffee stir sticks. Will test out what colors and combinations of colors I like the most. I doubt it will be in time for the weekend. That's ok. Next weekend maybe I can work on this a bit.

I did take my magpul stock and drew an outline so I know about how much wood I will need. I think I can do this... but I am considering making a fake out of some scrap to practice first. Hardest part, without a doubt, is going to be drilling the part out for the trigger group and receiver to spec with my limited tools. We'll see what happens.

Edit...anyone know what the tolerance for error on something like this is? I had a job once where it was .003 set by the FAA for airplane parts... but I had the right tools for the job.

Comment

I like to DIY anything and everything. Have done alot of stock work on my own with wood and synthetics. I have done full inlets on blanks from scratch such as the blue McMillan pictured below to making my own adjustable stock hardware and installing also pictured. Like you said it helps to have the equipment to perform the work needed. Have lathes and mills which help with holding tight tolerances. I don't think you'll be able to hold .003" tolerances with hand tools without alot of time under your belt but by all means dont get discouraged. Good luck with your project!

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              I like to DIY anything and everything. Have done alot of stock work on my own with wood and synthetics. I have done full inlets on blanks from scratch such as the blue McMillan pictured below to making my own adjustable stock hardware and installing also pictured. Like you said it helps to have the equipment to perform the work needed. Have lathes and mills which help with holding tight tolerances. I don't think you'll be able to hold .003" tolerances with hand tools without alot of time under your belt but by all means dont get discouraged. Good luck with your project!

I have followed a lot of what you DIY, because it is very quality work and interesting. I would love to see your shop. Seems like the amount of tools at your disposal is sick.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post

That is some fantastic work. Thank you for sharing. Do you checker your grips?

Comment

Resin and aluminum tape should be here today. Hard to see but I have outlined the basic shape of the stock. There are a couple of surface knots that I don't think will be a hindrance when I am finished.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well, this project just got expensive. Bought a JET JWBS-14FXS about a month ago with some gift cards I had collected for going "above and beyond" at work. Had about $400 and it still cost me $700 - yikes. Dang thing didn't even come with a blade! Got a 3/4" for resawing and a 1/4" (but I think I need 1/8") for the small cuts.

Plan is to Resaw the maple into two pieces. I want 1 side for his first name and the other side for our last name. I had it stuck in my head that I'd have to make a cut completely through the wood with a bandsaw then it hit me - make a template and use a router... duh.

And now it hit me again... Why even bother resawing??

Dad always said if I had a brain I'd be dangerous...

Will try to get this done soon and upload pics.

This does bring up a good point, though, and the next problem I will need to solve for. Resin casting...bubbles...Need a pressure pot, but the stock is about 18" long give or take and the pressure pot won't be able to handle something that big. What other solutions are there? I know about a blow torch to pop them, but that only gets the top layers... I thought about using PVC pipe to make a vacuum chamber but I'm not certain of how that will come out due to the boiling over effect it will have... I can't risk that it won't "settle" enough so that when I get to the desired thickness it will be solid.
                    Last edited by ctom87; 04-14-2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

I have seen some YouTube videos using pvc for a pressure chamber. I don’t think it takes too much to shrink the bubbles. Do some research no idea if it works or is really safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will give the YouTube vids a go tonight. Here's the rough cuts.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s a site the next time you are looking for wood.

Comment

Mistake #1 - wanted a more traditional style rifle stock and mistakenly cut too much on the end.

Going to check out gunstockblanks.com (Thank you!) and if they don't have anything, off to Wood World in N Dallas to buy a 2"x8"x24" piece of lumber. DOH!

Hey at least I get my own to practice with.

Comment

Mistake number 1 cost me 70 bucks and a two hour there and back trip to wood world of Dallas. The appropriate rough cut has been made.

I do appreciate the suggestion of that stock blanks company out of Vegas, but this was about $25 cheaper.
                              Last edited by ctom87; 04-28-2020, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X