Kayak Trailer.....now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kayak Trailer.....now

I recently bought a kayak (my first) and don't like the idea of hauling it less than half in and more than half out of my truck bed. I searched numerous sites for a boat trailer that I could buy and modify, on the cheap. There were good and there were bad, but most were too expensive if good and again, many had not been registered. I inquired on a few and most only offered a bill of sale, which I won't go with. There's too many chop shops and steps in getting a "clean" unit without tracking down supposed owners from who knows when. Frustrated with this, I decided I'd try and do something with a brush hauling trailer I already own.

I'd bought (on the cheap) a Harbor Freight trailer from a guy that had been in CS going to school and was returning to Brazil. The trailer had not been registered but I had a manufacturer's certificate from 2010. This was several years ago and my intent was to use the trailer strictly on my property, hauling brush, heavy and cut trees that had died to a burn pile area. The previous owner had gone to the expense and trouble of adding all-around side boards (removable) and this worked great for it's current brush hauling use.

The trailer bed is 4'x8' and has a tongue area of about 2 1/2', so I was thinking how I could reduce the "hang out" area in the rear. My oldest son, Fig, suggested extending the tongue with an extension and added an improvement to what I was considering doing to get the yak off the trailer deck. I wanted to keep the trailer usable as a brush/leaf hauler, so I was considering using on-hand boards that could be removed and stored when not heading to the water. Richard suggested putting the Yak on boards that would also use the side "pockets" that were on each side of the trailer. Together, we worked on building this contraption, then added carpet. Each yak support easily pulls out of the pockets and conversely, installs quickly.

I've ordered a new lights kit and wheel bearings kit, so once those are installed and I find the tongue extension, then I'll proceed in getting the trailer registered. I'll soon be trying a new way (to me) of fishing.

The pictures are dark, but hopefully the yak supports can be seen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak Trailer 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	25201742

Name:	Kayak Trailer 2.JPG
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	25201743

Name:	Kayak Trailer 3.JPG
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	25201744

Name:	Kayak Trailer 4.JPG
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	25201745

Nice.

Comment

Lookin good!

Comment

That should work just fine. Looks good too.

Comment

that'll definitely work

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward toward doing some fishing soon.

Comment

That’ll definitely make life easier!

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Big help. Need a version of this for 2.

Comment

Working...
                X