Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumbing advice on brass fittings

Ok the hot water heater is full of sludge and has blown out the element
    So I am cleaning it out and replacing the stock 1/4 turn valve ( it’s to small to emit the sludge) so replacement is 3/4 x 2” brass fitting to a 3/4 brass ball valve to a 3/4 x hose connect
    Question is the instructions I got is to use both Teflon tape and pipe dope
    I think that is over kill , but don’t want to flood the house, what say ye ? Pipe dope? Tape? Or both ?
    I have some dope but no tape

I’d put both.

Comment

Overkill yes, but I always put a single wrap of tape and a little pipe dope just to be sure.

Comment

Loctite 567

Comment

Both !

Comment

either one should work alone as long as the fittings are clean and tight. Water heaters are supposed to be drained each year to prevent sludge build up.

Comment

Originally posted by progater View Post
              either one should work alone as long as the fittings are clean and tight. Water heaters are supposed to be drained each year to prevent sludge build up.
              I know , it was a round 2 it . I never got round to, out of site out of mind, but these new valves should make it hellaciously more better and easier

Comment

You should use one or the other but never both

Comment

I use both, but you'll be ok with dope only. You can dope the inside threads also to be safe

Comment

Working...
                  X