Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people complain about the rising price of deer hunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do people complain about the rising price of deer hunting...

But then hate deer breeding which has lowered the price to the consumer of big deer?

Note:

This is a discussion thread, not a bash thread.

Let’s explore our core values as hunters and be introspective about what we truly value, because all of us value things slightly differently.

Breeders and consumer price for big pen raised deer has little to no affect on what the average hunter pays per acre for leasing/hunting a piece of low fenced property, which is the majority of hunters in this state..

Comment

Comment

for a couple reasons I think. First, some hunters do not know how much it actually takes to own a farm and the owner passes some expenses off on the hunters. Such as the taxes when property values go up.

Another thing is many have gotten away from the basics. They want all the newest gear, apps, toys. Don't get me wrong, I have them too but my grandfather hunted in blue jeans and just sat next to a tree. Times have changed and people like taking the easier road than our parents took.

Marketing has been big. If you watch a hunting show you will see about 11 minutes of product commercials for a 30 minute hunting show. Everything gurantees you will harvest a better buck, bird or whatever without them smelling you.

The last thing is inflation. Everything has gone up over the last 20 years except jack in the box tacos. They are still 2 for .99 cents. Either they hold their value really well or Jack in the box has been screwing me over for 20 years.

Comment

I think the hunters that are least successful, complain the most.
          When things are going good, no reason to complain.

Comment

People complain about the price of hunting because people like to complain. As a percentage, has the price of a low fence lease membership really gone up any more than the price of an F250, a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, a taco bell taco, or anything else? Obviously there are exceptions for certain areas, certain long-run management practices, etc,.. Then again, there are exceptions for trucks, milk and bread too.

As far as the cost to hunt high-fence, it has certainly been brought down by the sheer number of places available....supply and demand.

Comment

I like the disclaimer stating no bashing. Sad that has to be included but it’s all too common on the GS now a day.

Comment

simple, hunters complain because they can no longer afford to do what they love,
                i have been forced out of the deer game because of cost, now i hunt birds and love it, no nearly as expensive

Comment

I only hear folks gripe about the cost of the regular ol lease costs... and not the costs of killing big deer at the kick and pops ....

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                    I like the disclaimer stating no bashing. Sad that has to be included but it’s all too common on the GS now a day.
                    Let's not become a GS version of AT -- please.

My last pay lease about 10 yrs ago was 520 ac in La Salle County between Fowlerton and Los Angeles. It was low fence but the two neighbors on E-N-W sides high fenced it. We were on it 4-5 years with no price increase and left only because the SIL was poking his nose into the lease business more and more.

Comment

Op talk about comparing your apples and oranges lol

Comment

1. Because hunting is too expensive.

2. Because nobody likes ****ographic antlers.

Comment

People. complain.

End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                            1. Because hunting is too expensive. Relative to what?

2. Because nobody likes ****ographic antlers. It's a booming business, so somebody likes 'em.

Comment

Deer leases have always been too expensive for some. I remember when family leases got to 325 a family. Lots of families had to give up there leases that had been family gathering places for decades. That led to the per gun lease, ending most family leases. That was kind of sad. Per gun allowed more paying spots per ranch. Back when family leases were around 300, the price of south Texas brush was under a 100 and acre. Bought a place for 2995 an acre a few years back. Last year the tax valuation was up to 5700 an acre, this year 9950 an acre. If lease prices had stayed the same 300 bucks with land at 100 an acre. 3 to 1. Today's leases should be around 30,000. I think prices will go up.

Comment

Working...
                              X