College Academic Scholarships ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Academic Scholarships ?

I’ve got a Sr this year that is still exploring options on colleges. She’s in top 6% of her class with a 1180 SAT. We are local to UT Tyler but she’s considering not staying local. I’ve looked at some of the tuition rates & my heart skipped a few beats
    I’m curious what level of academic scholarships are available? Difficulty getting them? School specific? General academic? Any resources out there other than the specific university that shows what’s available?
    My daughter says the counselor is not that helpful at least that’s what I’m told. Anyone who has past or current experience can shed some light on what to expect other than tuition sticker price shock

UT Tyler is a great school. My youngest is about to graduate from there. He had a scholarship to UH and left after two years for UT Tyler. He likes it a lot better.

They have also been a lot more helpful than UH was with student's concerns etc..

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
      I’ve got a Sr this year that is still exploring options on colleges. She’s in top 6% of her class with a 1180 SAT. We are local to UT Tyler but she’s considering not staying local. I’ve looked at some of the tuition rates & my heart skipped a few beats
      I’m curious what level of academic scholarships are available? Difficulty getting them? School specific? General academic? Any resources out there other than the specific university that shows what’s available?
      My daughter says the counselor is not that helpful at least that’s what I’m told. Anyone who has past or current experience can shed some light on what to expect other than tuition sticker price shock
      Most schools have a financial aid office with tons of resources. But a simple google search will return gobs of different available scholarships. Regardless of whether she stays local or not, she should be applying to any/all scholarships. Every bit helps. I got a bunch of different scholarships over my career, including a local wood working club scholarship. All I did was go to a class they offered 1 evening. That was the extent of my wood working. They offered a scholarship based off of an essay. And I won. Not sure how many applicants they had, but it bought my books for 2 semesters. My point is volume is key. 10 $1,000 scholarships equals 1 $10,000 one. And there are a bunch out there. Best of luck!

Comment

She needs to go to her counselor, most HS have people designed specifically for just that. My district has once full time counselor for scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
          UT Tyler is a great school. My youngest is about to graduate from there. He had a scholarship to UH and left after two years for UT Tyler. He likes it a lot better.

They have also been a lot more helpful than UH was with student's concerns etc..
          Yes would be nice for her to commute to school & it’s a good school. Of course dad is trying not to tell her what to do

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
            Most schools have a financial aid office with tons of resources. But a simple google search will return gobs of different available scholarships. Regardless of whether she stays local or not, she should be applying to any/all scholarships. Every bit helps. I got a bunch of different scholarships over my career, including a local wood working club scholarship. All I did was go to a class they offered 1 evening. That was the extent of my wood working. They offered a scholarship based off of an essay. And I won. Not sure how many applicants they had, but it bought my books for 2 semesters. My point is volume is key. 10 $1,000 scholarships equals 1 $10,000 one. And there are a bunch out there. Best of luck!
            That’s good info & exactly what we have encouraged to go after any & all available that’s out there. I’ve looked here & there at different university sites & some have a decent list of available ones

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
              This is excellent information. Check with local organizations too. Some places have scholarships that don't get awarded some years because they don't receive an application. Does your community/school district have a community education foundation or something like that? They may be a resource for information too. Any organization that your daughter is part of may have a scholarship. Your, or her mother's, employer may have a scholarship. Have her look for renewable scholarships too. There are multiple trusts out there that allow students to renew, and increase, their scholarship amount as they continue to do well and advance in college.

Does your daughter's school have a college readiness coordinator or adviser? They may be more helpful. Also, it may be a long shot but have her check with the high school principal or assistant principal to see if they know of a councilor at a different school in your district that is more knowledgeable, and helpful with these situations. The principal and AP also need to know that their councilor isn't being very helpful to college bound students.

Good luck to you and your daughter!

Comment

Originally posted by LemmeOut View Post
                This is excellent information. Check with local organizations too. Some places have scholarships that don't get awarded some years because they don't receive an application. Does your community/school district have a community education foundation or something like that? They may be a resource for information too. Any organization that your daughter is part of may have a scholarship. Your, or her mother's, employer may have a scholarship. Have her look for renewable scholarships too. There are multiple trusts out there that allow students to renew, and increase, their scholarship amount as they continue to do well and advance in college.

Does your daughter's school have a college readiness coordinator or adviser? They may be more helpful. Also, it may be a long shot but have her check with the high school principal or assistant principal to see if they know of a councilor at a different school in your district that is more knowledgeable, and helpful with these situations. The principal and AP also need to know that their councilor isn't being very helpful to college bound students.

Good luck to you and your daughter!
                My thoughts exactly & more good info. Yes my employer offers a scholarship. As we get closer when it’s open to apply I’ve told her. Just wanted to hear from others that our line of thinking & direction sounds right. Now it’s just motivating her to get after it.

Comment

Working...
                X