Some smoked spatchcock chicken tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McClain View Post
    Was the skin crisp? That is exactly how I smoke my chickens (with same injection sauce) but with a different rub. I usually start out at 300 degrees and end up at 375 but can never get the skin just right. Meat is always juicy, tender, and flavorful tho.
    I’ve never been able to get crispy skin when smoking low/slow (225*) on my stick burner. It is easy to do on my kamado however because the ceramic dome directs heat from above. I’ve learned the biggest factor in crispness is getting the skin as dry as possible before cooking. The best way is to pat it dry then leave the bird in the fridge uncovered - overnight if possible. That makes a huge difference

Comment

That looks delicious!

Comment

The skin was slightly crispy, mainly due to the bit of crust/bark that formed on it from the rub. It wasn’t crispy like it would be in a Egg cooker or similar. I wasn’t expecting it to be though. Since I injected it, that stuff was seeping out pretty much non stop prior to going on the smoker so no way to keep the skin dry and that’s the key to getting it crisp.

Comment

We love spatchcock chicken and I cook them regularly. The last time I did one, I split it down the breast and cooked it that way leaving the backbone in. I had to cook it a little longer, 2 1/2 hrs. Vs 2 hrs @ 325, still nice and juicy and easier to separate everything.

Comment

I promise you if you Spatchcock your Holiday turkey, you will never do it any other way. So much more flavor and juicey. The downside... everyone will beg you to smoke them one too.

Comment

Been cooking split chickens still connected my whole life. Dad and Grandfather did it growing up. Never knew it had a specific name.

Comment

I spatchcock the turkey every year at Thanksgiving. Use high heat and put it directly on the grill. Last year it took forty-five minutes to do a fourteen pound turkey. Crisp skin and very juicy meat in the breast. I wasn't entirely happy, though, as there was some pink in the joint where the thighs attach. This year I intend to add a few minutes after the bird hits temperature to take care of that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaio1 View Post
                  Been cooking split chickens still connected my whole life. Dad and Grandfather did it growing up. Never knew it had a specific name.
                  I like "split chickens still connected" better than "spatch****".

The OP's chicken looks might tasty. I'm gonna have to try some split chicken still connected. I smoke my chickens cut in half, but the still connected method looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                    I like "split chickens still connected" better than "spatch****".

The OP's chicken looks might tasty. I'm gonna have to try some split chicken still connected. I smoke my chickens cut in half, but the still connected method looks good.
                    I had not planned on adopting the name LMAO

Comment

That looks yummy!

Comment

Working...
                      X