Bow Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Strings

Just curious how often you folks replace your strings. I have always waited till they started showing wear.

Well, a change of venue is in order. Blondy me never thought about wear under the serving. Sunday while out bale shooting, the string on my recurve snapped at the nock point. I had just taken a shot and was reaching for another arrow so luckily it was at brace and not fulldrawn when it let go. Reckon, I'm gonna have to change my method and start on a schedule type thing. It could have been ugly if the bow'd been drawn when it happened.

I figure a year should be a good schedule. Any opinions? Oh yeah, I'd been using that string since June '02.

Lost hawg I had just ordered a replacement from Blackwidow for my bow. Blackwidow recommends to replace once a year or every 10,000 shots.
    I have gone long but taken a chance I think.

Comment

Well, I'd not been shooting my recurve and it just never came to mind. I prefer the longbow and replace that string about once a year as thats about how it wears. The loops on the curve as well as the string itself were not "showing" any wear so to speak.

I gotta admit, I baby my longbow in that regard. Sure it gets dinged and scratched, but they're all cosmetic. My recurve has hung on the rack mostly till this year when I decided I needed to put meat on the table with it. So, it's more a matter of complacency rather than just neglect. The string "looked" good, so, it must "be" good. Well, I think I'm going with a schedule thing instead of visible wear. Just never really thought about it before. BTW, it was the string that came with the bow. The bowyer twisted the string the same time he built the bow.

A guy named Greg Moon usually builds my strings. Right now I have a string built by Rod Jenkins (World Champion Recurve) that he (Rod) gave me for my son's bow. Other than that all my strings are built by Greg. Anyone wants a good string let me know and I'll get you his (Greg) email address.

Comment

Just out of curiousity....Do you wax your strings on recurve and longbow?

Comment

Yep.

Comment

I usually buy 2 strings a year... but I shoot alot, besides their not that expensive.

Comment

SO it broke under the serving? I have had the same string on my palmer for little over two years,but don't shoot as much as you guy do. I have replaced the center serving once or twice. I do keep a few back up string in my case with me.They have been shot a little bit just to shoot them in.

Comment

Yes, it broke under the serving.

When I wax the strings, I'll take the wax and really goop the string up good. Then I'll take a piece of soft leather and work the wax into the string. I'll then take my wax stick and throw another coat on and work that in as well, only not as aggressively.

If I were to count the shots, it's very likely that I would be pushing 10,000 a year. However, I haven't been shooting as much this year as I have in years past.

Comment

Tracy,I was like you and only replaced when the string looked worn,guess I'll change once a year,cause I shoot alot.

Eric

Comment

Eddykated

After that, I think annually is a good idea.

Comment

WOW Tracy! BOW! that could have been real nasty ya know

Comment

When I finish a bow, I'll make two strings, pre-stretch them shoot them in and feel good knowing that replacement is in the quiver pocket. When one wears thin or looks suspect, I’ll change it out and make a replacement. The B-50 I find is the longest lasting and the most shock asorbing, the only con is it does stretch, but 24 hours under static weights and there is no creep on the bow.

Comment

Good info here.....thanks guys! I have always replced my compound bow strings every year but have always left the trad bows be until i noticed wear.

Comment

I have had one go at full draw. About took my right eye out. It cut through at the top limb loop. The bows was new to me and the guy had cut the string groves out a little and left them to sharp. It went on about the third shoot. really ****** me off. It has never happened again. I allways inspect every bow or string i start to shoot. If any thing looks suspect. I don't shoot it.

I allso make strings. I have about a lot of $ tied up in string makeing equipment. So any time I need one I just sit down for a while and wallaaa. I have one...

Comment

Birddog, I've got the jig and the B50 and have tried my hand at it. Once I figure out how to make the second loop, I'll be off and running. I've made strings for my kids' and nephew's bows. I've just got to figure out how to make the second loop right.

Comment

Working...
                              X