Vehicle speculation (truck prices)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle speculation (truck prices)

I didn't wanna hijack the other thread. I was planning to drive my 2016 Ram 6.7 into the ground but with the market the way it is now I'm considering selling it. I work from home so no commute and wife has a truck so towing the boat is no issue and we've got a spare car. Wondering if anyone can speculate when the dealers will get more vehicles on the lot and when/if prices will go back to a more reasonable level. I'm over 100k miles already so it's not bad timing to refresh. I just don't wanna have to overpay because Elk season hits and I need a truck. I'm thinking though we're looking ar 2022 if it ever gets back to normal.
    Last edited by justletmein; 05-06-2021, 10:19 PM.

Great topic, in same boat. No idea on timing, but I posted my ‘18 Yukon on Craigslist and my phone about exploded with offers. I’m still holding out and about to sell for 4000 over blue book/givemethevin offer. Best offers were directly from dealer buyers, I assume they are skipping the auction middleman?

Comment

Same here, KBB says I can get 15k over what I paid selling Private Party on my truck. May just buy a beater for now and buy once the supply catches up and prices get normal if ever.

Comment

First, 100k on that truck, it's barely broke in. I got 172k on my Ford, and wouldn't hesitate to drive it elk hunting this fall (If we weren't going to MT this year).

BUT, I did just sell my Charger Hellcat for $7,500 more than I paid for it a year ago. If I had gone private sale, I was looking at $10k over what I paid. Probably will be the only time in my life I sell a car for more than I paid. (The only reason I didn't go private was because I track my cars, and I didn't need to get a call a month, or year from now that something broke due to being tracked).

I honestly don't think that suppliers will ever "catch up". I am betting these prices are the new normal.

Comment

Two things....

Dealers don't have inventory

You're gonna over pay for a used truck

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I was thinking about doing the same thing. Kbb says my trade is $10k less then what we paid three years ago brand new. But, as mentioned, youre going to pay a premium for what you buy so I believe im going to keep what I have just for that reason. Maybe in another year or two my truck will still be up and there with cheaper options available. If so, ill trade out then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Man, I’m in the same boat. It is extremely tempting not to sell mine right now. KBB says I could get 10k more than I paid for it 18 months ago on trade in, and that didn’t include all the extras on it. I know I could get more than that private party. I could get by for a little while with no truck if I had to. I guess if I do it I’m waging on the fact that the new truck market is gonna come down when all these trucks waiting on chips hit the market

Comment

Just remember like houses. You can make big money selling, but the same goes on the other end when buying!!!!

Stick to your plan of driving it until the wheels fall off

Comment

All manufactures that use Chips in their electronics are going to feel this. The chips used the electronics are on GLOBAL shortage. Inventory is what it is now and it will be mid 2022 before the supply catches back up with the demand.
                  Cars are where we see it now.
                  Playstations, Xbox, TV's are all going to be next
                  I have my tin foil hat thoughts but Gold, Platinum and other metals are all needed to produce these plus resin. if you stop the flow of raw materials finished goods will also stop

Comment

It really is ridiculous right now. I wanted to buy a new truck and the salesman point blank said this one is 5k over sticker price. I politely declined and drove off in my 16 Chevy. Still a great truck. I have also had my trolling motor in the shop for about a year now. Used twice and the motherboard fried. Brand new. Still waiting.

Comment

No way I would buy right now...i am hearing last quarter things should be back normal(er)

Comment

It’s not going to change anytime soon. We buy our vehicles through enterprise fleet. They are the second largest vehicle buyer in the US. They sent out an email last week that if you want to guarantee having a new vehicle by the end of the year you need to order it in the next week or two. Said 2022 vehicles will not be available until summer 2022.

I know this because I am due for a new vehicle. But we can’t find hat we are looking for. And if we do it’s too much. With the volume Enterprise buys, the dealerships normally come down off price about $5k for them but right now with how low inventory is they won’t come off any so it is tough.

Comment

I thought about trading my truck in about a year ago to get and f250 and they offered me $24k about everywhere. I an now doing a deal and they are giving me 37.5k. Its crazy.

Comment

Yeah, I'm in the market for a new truck. What I'm worried about is the prices never coming down, or worse continuing to go up.....

So it's like, should I just bite the bullet and find the best deal I can find and buy one now, or hold out another year.

If I would have bought a year ago, I could have got the Tundra's I'm looking at now for over $10,000-$15000 less then what they're going for now. And they're selling them fast.
                            Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 05-07-2021, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I was trying to work a deal on a new F250 at the end of last month but the salesman wouldn't/ couldn't come off MSRP. He said the owner of the dealership told them not to sale anything for less than MSRP and to hold out until they got the price they were asking. End of the month didn't matter, he wasn't budging. He said in some cases folks are paying 2k to 3k over MSRP. That ain't me.

He also said that if I could hold off for another 4 or 5 months (don't need the truck, just wanted it) that they should be able to come off 4k to 6k off MSRP. Semi back to normal. I'll check back in Aug or Sept and see where they are.

Comment

Working...
                              X