Who's been bitten by a venomous snake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's been bitten by a venomous snake?

Another thread got me thinking about this... I've never been bitten but I've come really close twice, including a cottonmouth going between my feet and the head of my weedeater, and striking at the weedeater instead of my feet on the way by. This just seems like it could be one of those threads that gets long with some good stories... So, who's been bitten? What happened? How did it turn out for you? I don't mind a good story about a near miss, either.

my wife got bitten by a copperhead on the finger while gardening. Got her to the ER within an hour and she spent three days in ICU. She doesn't do ANY outside work without looking for old no legs anymore!

Comment

I was showing my wife where a snake crossed a sandy part in the road back in 2009. Looked down and a copperhead had a hold of my jeans. I was standing on him and luckily it was just enough he could only reach where my jeans covered my boots.

Walked over a 6’ rattlesnake with in Jack County that same year and had no idea until my wife pointed it out.

My landscaper at the ranch I manage got popped by a copperhead on his hand recently. 3 wks or swelling but fortunately it was a dry bite. Still a nasty bite and you can tell he was uncomfortable.

Comment

Best friends wife got bit a few years ago. Ankle swole up to as big as her thigh. They decided not to do the antivenom. Said sometimes it does more damage than good. She received an $18K medical bill in the mail once. Never received anything else after that, not sure how that happened lol. Nothing went on credit either lol.

I was dove hunting in coleman getting a beer out of the bed of my truck. Looked down and a rattlesnake was right beside my tire and foot. That was the closest I have been, brush makes it tough to see them up that way.

Comment

Copperhead bit me on the underside of my left wrist, very long story. Spent 2 days in ICU.

Comment

Me. Twice and hundreds of near misses. But I catch them so that's to be expected.

3 day recovery in ICU on the first one. An hour in the hospital and I signed a release to go home on the 2nd one. I limped around for about a month but finally got over it. Was roofing houses two weeks after. It's a lot better/smarter to stay in the hospital. I voluntarily put myself on the live or die program the second go round.
            Last edited by okrattler; 05-04-2021, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Not by snake
              Got bit by a black widow spider on the forehead
              It was a miserable 3 week recovery

Comment

I have been bitten twice. Once on the side foot by a cottonmouth that I stepped on while barefoot. The other bite was a copperhead that bit me on the back of my calf while wearing shorts and climbing over a pile of limbs on a trailer in a lean to shed that I had at the time. The cottonmouth was a dry bite however I was kept in the hospital overnight for observation and to be given IV with antibiotics. I was released before noon the next day. The ER was more worried about my blood pressure than the bite because it was extremely high because I was 17 or 18 years old and thought I was about to die. The ER nurse told me the snakebite was not going to kill me but my blood pressure at stroke level and that could kill me. The copperhead bite did inject some venom but not a lot. I had a lot of pain, swelling and nausea. Did not got to the ER for copperhead bite which was not the smartest move. I live in the country and I did go to my mother-in-laws house because the hospital was just a few blocks from her house. So if I did need to get to the hospital quickly because of bad symptoms I was at least close to it. I have had many other close calls. I do wear snakeboots now whenever I go to the deer lease. However many of the close calls I have had were NOT at the deer lease. The bites I had were about 15 years apart. I can assure you I do not want to experience that again.

Comment

Rattlesnake, due to my own stupidity. Wild car ride to the hospital, several days in the ICU, 8 vials of antivenom and $49k I was good as new!

Comment

Been lucky... I’ve almost been bit 3 times by rattlers closest one missed me by just inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive been struck at once. Walking in the brush. Never saw it and it never rattled. Went into my jeans but did not go into the leather of my boot. I was lucky.

Close call was I was hunting a blind that I threw together quick. Sitting on a metal chair with bow on my lap. Felt something push against my boot and I slowly looked down and a rattle bug was between my legs.

Comment

My wife has three cousins who grew up playing baseball. One evening when it was almost dark her aunt (their mom) bent down and picked up a baseball belt one of the boys had left outside on the porch. It turned out to be a water moccasin that tagged her twice before she had time to drop it. Then she ended up being allergic to the antivenom and almost died.

Comment

Too many close calls to recant, but the worse was when I was 16 squirrel hunting, sit down on a log, leaned up next to a tree in the dark. At daylight, i feel something and look down to see a 3 foot Copperhead coiled up right between my feet. Just regular boots, I shot it right where I stood. Scared the crud out of me. . .played with cottonmouths as a teenager at our house in LaPorte. Stupid & Crazy.

Comment

Skeeter got hit by a copperhead about two years ago!!!

Comment

Not me but a guy I work with was hit by a copperhead a month ago and didn’t realize it.
                              Got sick and arm swelled up so went to the dr. A Couple days later. Been fixing the rot and saving off infections since but other wise doing good and back to work.
                              He was moving rotten logs on his place in east Tx and when he got hit he thought a stem from the log he was carrying poked him in the bicept......so he drank more beer

Comment

Working...
                              X