DIY chicken coop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY chicken coop

Well, my daughter and I are finally getting our way, and inheriting some laying hens. My wife hasn’t been on board with the idea until recently, so I let her have some input on the coop & run. Friend of my wife’s is relocating into town to a townhome and no yard, and she wants us to have her 4 hens, so it was time for me to get to work. The wife looked on Pinterest at coop designs, and came up with this one:

I’m using the base design, but tweaking a few things along the way. Ours will be a bit taller, tall enough for me to walk inside & clean it out. I got the base framed and decked today, framing walls will start sometime this week. Thankfully I had several sheets of plywood and 2x6’s left over from a project, so this build should be easy on the pocket book, considering lumber prices these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would plan it bigger than you think you're gonna need. Chickens are like chips and salsa, it's hard to stop once you get started lol Look forward to seeing how it turns out

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking forward to the build.

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post
        I would plan it bigger than you think you're gonna need. Chickens are like chips and salsa, it's hard to stop once you get started lol Look forward to seeing how it turns out

Based on his name- I’d listen to this guy.

Comment

Best tip is to put a poop box (plastic bin with wood chips) under the roost bar. Saves a lot of clean up time.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Showed horses and messed with cows in my younger years, but the only thing I know about chickens is how to fry em & how to shove a beer can up their butt & smoke em. Advice or recommendations always welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
              Thanks for the input. Showed horses and messed with cows in my younger years, but the only thing I know about chickens is how to fry em & how to shove a beer can up their butt & smoke em. Advice or recommendations always welcome.

Lmao those are two of the best things to know about them for sure! We have learned a lot by trial and error. We were only gonna have 5 laying hens. We have closer to 35 or 40 now including my daughter's flock of silkies she is wanting to breed and sell chick's from.

Comment

Looks good. We have 3 laying chickens and 3 chicks we are about to let join the others. I am pretty new to the chicken business. Ours run the backyard. The thing I learned quickly was they poop everywhere. Today I am getting a motion sprinkler from Amazon to hopefully keep them off the patio.

Comment

Originally posted by ofishil View Post
                  Looks good. We have 3 laying chickens and 3 chicks we are about to let join the others. I am pretty new to the chicken business. Ours run the backyard. The thing I learned quickly was they poop everywhere. Today I am getting a motion sprinkler from Amazon to hopefully keep them off the patio.

Ours will have limited time to roam our acre & 1/2...I have a GSP that will devour them the first chance she gets.

Comment

Looks nice

Comment

Originally posted by ChickenWilly View Post

Hes right.

I started with a 4x12 chicken tractor and 4 hens. I now have a coop thats 12x12 with 8 nesting boxes for 7 hens and 2 roosters.

FWIW Im willing to run guided rooster hunts. I dont care what weapon you bring and I'll supply beer

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        Hes right.

I started with a 4x12 chicken tractor and 4 hens. I now have a coop thats 12x12 with 8 nesting boxes for 7 hens and 2 roosters.

FWIW Im willing to run guided rooster hunts. I dont care what weapon you bring and I'll supply beer

I’ll bring my pitching machine

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
                          I’ll bring my pitching machine

Are we putting the rooster in it or baseballs? I guess since I got 2 there are options

Comment

Update: got one end framed up tonight after getting the kids fed and put to bed. I lost all last week and weekend due to our entire household coming down with a stomach bug. Long way to go. Pardon the messy shop...that’s another ongoing project.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Working...
                              X