A new start for an old #art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new start for an old #art

I've been shooting cedar arrows forever. I now want/need a more consistant shaft. So carbon it is. Been reading spine charts but every brand is different.

I'm confused and asking for help from you modern trad experts.

These are my stats;
    Recurve
    26" draw length
    27.5" minimum arrow length
    48lb draw weight
    145 or 150 gr. point
    Want at least 10 GPP
    Shoot split finger

I would like some shafts that at least look traditional.

Charlie

Need to know what the center cut of the recurve is, and what thickness the strike plate material is.

Is it 48# @ 28" or 48# @ 26" ?

Might also be helpful to know what brand recurve it is.

Rick

Comment

The shelf is 1 1/8" above center.
      Home made bow.
      Center cut with 1/16" felt strike plate.
      48lbs at 26"
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Recurve 2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	24297347
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Autumn.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	24297346
      Last edited by Bowyer; 04-05-2014, 07:58 PM.

Comment

This will get you real close, but you'll want to start with them a little longer than indicated (probably 30"), and then shorten them by 1/4" at a time until you reach the sweet spot in length.

Rick
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Mr. Barbee. I owe you a Dr. Pepper.
          Going to place an order now.

Charlie

Comment

Wow, y'all guys know your stuff. Those questions are way over my head but I'm ready to learn

Comment

You're quite welcome Charlie.

I figured that with a standard fast flight string. If by chance you are using a dacron string the arrows will still work, but you'll have to leave them a little longer to soften the dynamic spine some.

Rick

Comment

Yeah Rick, I make old school dacron strings. Not sure if my bow could handle fastflite.
                Thanks again,

Charlie

Comment

Which arrows did you go with?

Comment

Carbon express Heritage 150 Danny

Comment

thats a nice Bow though

Comment

Thanks Buddy

Comment

I got my new carbon shafts in (Carbon express Heritage 150) and started bare shaft tuning.
                          The first few shots indicated that the spine was too stiff. The nocks were pointing to the right and slightly up.
                          I increased the brace height from 7.5" to 8.25" and raised the nock point an 1/8th inch and now the bare shafts fly straight.
                          The shafts are still full length, 32.5". I fletched a few and they fly great.
                          Overall weight is 530 grains with a 160 grain tip.
                          What are yalls views on shortening these shafts? I want to keep the overall weight around 500 gn. but afraid if I start trimming down the length I will have to compensate with more tip weight.

Comment

Shortening to get 30gr off will stiffen them up A BUNCH! I have not ever used CE, but most shafts are in the 8-9 grains per inch range, and you would have to cut off 3+ inches to get 30gr off.

If you want to cut them that short, you will need to add more weight up front, via brass insert or different points.

The first thing I would do is just try 130gr tip instead of 160gr and see how they fly.

And btw, I don't think you will have a noticeable difference that you can tell with a 30gr change, so if you are well tuned at 530gr, it may just be best to just go with that.

Bisch
                            Last edited by Bisch; 04-14-2014, 09:35 AM.

Comment

"The shafts are still full length, 32.5". I fletched a few and they fly great."

You just answered your own question - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You're only 11gr/lb and there's nothing magic about 10. Congratulate yourself on a good tuning job and quit.

Comment

Working...
                              X