Sugar Free Pecan Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar Free Pecan Pie

Here is one recipe my neighbor had. I may have more from family. Some of the diabetics here should get the chance at pecan pie too .

Sugar Free Pecan Pie

3 Tbsp butter

3 Tbsp Truvia (sweetener for diabetics) or 3/4 C molasses

Few grains of salt

3/4 C Agave Necotr

1/2 C canned milk

3 eggs

3/4 tsp vanilla

1 C chopped pecans

1 unbaked pie shell

Cream butter, slowly beat in Truvia or molasses Agave Nector, and salt. Add eggs on at a time and beat briskly. Add milk, vanilla, and pecans. Then blend entire mixture. Pour into pastry lines piepan. Bake 10 minutes in 450 degree oven. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until custard sets; about 30 minutes. Serve plain or with sweetened whipped cream. Add pecan halves over top of pie if desired.

Good deal love pecan pie!!

Comment

For those wanting a different recipe, here's another from my mother:

SUGAR-FREE PECAN PIE

Beat three eggs thoroughly with 2/3 cup of Splenda, dash salt, one cup of Brown Rice Syrup, and one-third cup melted butter or margarine.

Add one cup pecan halves. Pour into nine-inch unbaked pastry shell.

Bake 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge of pie comes out clean. Cool before cutting.

FYI:

I adapted this recipe from a Southern Pecan Pie recipe in a Better Homes & Gardens recipe booklet which I obtained in the 1970’s. It called for 2/3 cup of sugar and one cup of dark corn syrup.

To make it sugar-free, I knew I could use Splenda but didn’t know what to do about the syrup.

I went to Central Market and inquired what I could use instead of Karo and they recommended Brown Rice Syrup, and it worked great. You can get the Brown Rice Syrup at Central Market or Whole Foods for about $4.50 a bottle. It makes two pies. Other stores may have it now and in particular, I would try HEB since they own Central Market.

Barbara Lewie Berry
      October 27, 2012

Comment

I am making this again tomorrow. I made it last year. Great sugar free recipe! Thanks!

Comment

Not to rain on your parade with what looks like a delicious recipe, but agave nectar is about 50% fructose, and brown rice is mostly maltose. Both of these are in fact sugars, and by no means are they healthy. As for diabetics, the GI of brown rice syrup is incredibly high (98), and while a diabetic can intake fructose without spiking glucose levels, it is terrible in the long term as it builds insulin resistance.

Comment

Of course it's not healthy, we're talking pie here. Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Originally posted by NanR View Post
              Of course it's not healthy, we're talking pie here. Happy Thanksgiving!
              Just pointing out that they are not, in fact, sugar free as the thread title says.

A happy thanksgiving to you as well!

Comment

Not made with regular sugar is what it implies to me.

Comment

Yall are just sucrose haters

Comment

Lol

Comment

Thanks NanR .

I'm pretty sure the caloric intake is much lower than regular pecan pie. In moderation of course. Which in turn keeps the "BS" down, so to speak . While allowing some who take insulin to still enjoy what others take for granted. And when it comes down to it, there are not many plant based products that are not sugars or used as sugars by the human body. Back when I was racing Triathlon regularly, maltodextrin was my go to rocket fuel seeing how it's almost as close as one can get to in-taking glucose with out taking glucose, (words from a former USACycling coach, triathlete, and personal trailer).

Comment

Sugar free pecan pie is like drinking non-alcoholic beer. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                          Sugar free pecan pie is like drinking non-alcoholic beer. Lol
                          Ha! I almost bought some "near beer" last weekend . It still has something like 1/2 of 1% alcohol. And Alcohol is a sugar the body can not burn or very easily. Has to be passed some how . One ounce of alcohol as 7 calories on average, the only known product to have a differing number from consumption.

Carbs = 4 calories per gram, Protein = 4 calories per gram, and fats = 9 calories per gram. Those are also the order the body uses them in. And stores them first, in the reverse direction: fats, proteins, carbs.

During my peak training periods, I was taking in 4k-6k in calories per day. Yes, per day. But was 158-162lbs. My last race was in 2003 at 46 yoa. And left the health and fitness industry in May of 2005.

Comment

diabetic Pops might go for this one
                            thanks

Comment

Originally posted by luckylick View Post
                              diabetic Pops might go for this one
                              thanks
                              Your welcome.

I've got one for apple pie too, if anybody is interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X