Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im just getting back to reading the replies on this thread. There are some very blessed folks here!!!

Comment

I think the message here is that life is fragile and fleeting.

It can be over in the blink of the eye.

Please be careful so you can live a long life and died old and happy.

The creator only promises you this moment.

Comment

Heart attack, May 2008.

Comment

Bacterial Meningitis -1980 - Spent a month in the hospital.

Comment

Fell off a windmill when I was 13.. compound fracture of my left arm at the elbow... sprained my pelvis... bruised my kidneys and got blood clots in my lungs...

Comment

Thursday February 16 2012. I was loading a toilet in my dump trailer it cracked and severed my artery and some tendons in my wrist. Put pressure on my wrist while The homeowner called 911. The fire dept was there in about 2 mins. Went to Harris hospital in Fort Worth and was in surgery for 4 hours Thursday night. Scary day.

Comment

Originally posted by back-woods-boy View Post
                A few years ago we were first in Ladder on a working fire, chief ordered us to vent the roof. When I got to the ladder set by one of the guys the other showed up without the saw. This is when the ball started down hill. I put my maul in the middle of his chest and informed him he would use it. I didn't see time to return to the truck for the saw. While following him up the ladder and across the roof all I could do was dwell on his mistake and prep the chewing he was about to recieve. Half way to where he was cutting the roof gave under my feet. I will never forget what a hell that attic looked like. Fortunatly at almost an instant the attic door I fell on opened up and I fell through to the floor. I fell in the middle of the three guys on our Engine who were staring at me going "WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?!?!??!?" I quickly stated the roof help me up! I have learned and changed alot about my temper since that incident...
                Dang, that is close! Being assigned to the truck I know first hand how easy it is to become complacent when going up to vent. Stay safe, brother

Comment

a pistol pointed at me at close range by an angry boyfriend of a lady I was.........

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
                    I think the message here is that life is fragile and fleeting.

It can be over in the blink of the eye.

Please be careful so you can live a long life and died old and happy.

The creator only promises you this moment.
                    I do believe you have hit the nail on the head. We will all die someday, just a matter of when. Just use your head and make it later rather than sooner please!

I can't count how many close calls I have had but fortunately none have ended with serious injuries. Thank God.

Comment

Same scenario as Froggy, Phdan, Dustoff and Splitfinger.
                      Viet Nam. Question is which time?

Comment

I have had several incidents where things could have ended much worse than they did but I think the one that scared me the most happened in 2003.

I was driving east on Hwy 79 to work in Rockdale one morning and was doing the speed limit of 70 mph and met an 18 wheeler headed west at presumably the same speed. As the rear end of the trailer passed me I noticed something coming through the air toward my vehicle. I straightened up in my seat in a shocked and confused reaction trying to figure out what it was as I heard a loud noise that sounded like an explosion. Apparently I had closed my eyes because I remember opening them and it seemed like there was smoke in the cab of my truck but that turned out to be the glass dust from the hole that had been punched in my windshield. I pulled off to the side of the road and that was when I first realized the pain in my jaw. I looked around my truck and couldn't see what had caused the hole in my windshield so I got and went around to the passenger side and opened the door and noticed the tint chipped on that window then found the bolt in the picture below in between the door and the seat.

By this time my jaw really hurt so I got in the truck to tell my boss I was going to get some x-rays because this think just came through my windshield and hit me in the face (and showed him the bolt). I told the story of what happened to 2 different nurses, a city cop, a Trooper (happened outside city limits), the Critical Air crew that was stationed at the hospital because they saw the truck in the parking lot with hole in the windshield, the tele-doctor and finally the x-ray tech. The seriousness of what jsut happened didn't hit me until the they finally found the little scratch on my chin (underneath my goatee) and the x-ray tech told me if it was an inch higher it would have hit me square in the mouth and an inch lower and it would have hit me in the neck near my trachea.

I walked away from that with a little scratch on my chin and a sore jaw for a couple days and a new fear of meeting 18 wheelers on the road. The bolt was rusted all the way around so we think his tires just picked it up off the road but I flinched for years when I would meet an 18 wheeler, especially gravel haulers since that was the kind I met.
                        Attached Files

Comment

When I was 10 I was riding my four wheeler down the side of a hill. Hit a washout in the road and it turned my wheels and rolled about 200yds. Came to and the four wheeler was on top of me and the fuel tank had cracked and I was covered in gas. Lucky for me my grandpa was grating roads that day and found me 15 min later. If there had been a spark I'm positive I would have been stuck and burned to death. Sometime during the roll my head hit a rock and took 18 stitches to close.

Comment

It was in Vietmam about 1965 or so. Exactly what happened I ain't got a clue (rockets, artillery, it's all the same). A couple guys got it, and a few of us didn't. I got some shrapnel in an unmentionable place but came out of it just fine. I can still make babies. Things happen so fast all you have for memories is the highlights. Not a big deal, it is what it is. In the words of a past CO, Press On.

Comment

Originally posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
                              Had quite a few close calls, and a lot of very close calls being in the military mostly involving helicopters, getting shot at, and indirect fire...but I don't consider it as close to death, or "almost dying". You either die, or you don't. There is no almost
                              Ditto.

Funny thing, I was taking Helicopter Underwater Egress Training for the gazillionth time a few months ago. The instructor asked "what is the most dangerous thing on a helicopter?" I answered quickly with out thinking "The pilot"

Comment

Another close call http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=287428

Comment

Working...
                                X