Shrimp & Grits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrimp & Grits

Note: We were served this at a Navy reunion in Alabama recently and it is super!. The hosts graciously gave us the recipe explaining it's an old Alabama recipe originating down on the coast around Mobile. These folks are big on grits....could probably serve this over rice or noodles. But....I became a fan of grits while there.

SHRIMP & GRITS

1 lb. bacon
    1 lb. smoked link sausage
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cans Rotel tomatoes
    1 qt. Half & Half
    ¼ cup flour
    2 lbs. shrimp, peeled
    Salt & Pepper

Chop bacon in small pieces and fry in large skillet until crisp. Take bacon out of skillet, leave drippings. Cut sausage into circles and brown in skillet. Saute sausage until both sides are browned, remove from skillet. Saute onion and garlic in skillet until lightly browned, remove from skillet. Saute shrimp in skillet until lightly browned. Remove excess grease from skillet (leave a little…..you’ll see why in a minute) then put bacon, sausage, onions & garlic back in skillet with the shrimp. Add the flour and brown. Now add Rotel tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add Half & Half while stirring. Cover skillet and cook for 10-15 minutes.

GRITS: Get quick cooking grits (creamier and cook better than regular grits) and follow directions on package. When done, add butter and Half & Half until creamy.

(This recipe feeds a crowd. I halved it and my wife and I ate big on it for two days)

copy - paste - save as - print

Thank you

Comment

Just emailed the list to the wife, she is at the grocery store right now!

Comment

Im sure its good but thats alot of doctoring up for shrimp and grits.

Jumbo shrimp spiced and grilled to perfection

Grits with loads of chedder cheese melted in.

Plate grits serve shrimp on top.

You can sweeten it with some brown sugar if it tickles your fancy.

Comment

My wife found a recipe in a Cajun cookbook and we have made it several times :-)

Comment

Originally posted by reddrummer View Post
            My wife found a recipe in a Cajun cookbook and we have made it several times :-)
            Its not cajun if its not ragin blaze

Comment

would like to try this one

Comment

Buying ingredients today...............

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
                  Buying ingredients today...............
                  Yall should be picking a lake lol

Comment

Originally posted by rtread View Post
                    Note: We were served this at a Navy reunion in Alabama recently and it is super!. The hosts graciously gave us the recipe explaining it's an old Alabama recipe originating down on the coast around Mobile. These folks are big on grits....could probably serve this over rice or noodles. But....I became a fan of grits while there.

SHRIMP & GRITS

1 lb. bacon
                    1 lb. smoked link sausage
                    2 cloves garlic, chopped
                    1 onion, chopped
                    2 cans Rotel tomatoes
                    1 qt. Half & Half
                    ¼ cup flour
                    2 lbs. shrimp, peeled
                    Salt & Pepper

Chop bacon in small pieces and fry in large skillet until crisp. Take bacon out of skillet, leave drippings. Cut sausage into circles and brown in skillet. Saute sausage until both sides are browned, remove from skillet. Saute onion and garlic in skillet until lightly browned, remove from skillet. Saute shrimp in skillet until lightly browned. Remove excess grease from skillet (leave a little…..you’ll see why in a minute) then put bacon, sausage, onions & garlic back in skillet with the shrimp. Add the flour and brown. Now add Rotel tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add Half & Half while stirring. Cover skillet and cook for 10-15 minutes.

GRITS: Get quick cooking grits (creamier and cook better than regular grits) and follow directions on package. When done, add butter and Half & Half until creamy.

(This recipe feeds a crowd. I halved it and my wife and I ate big on it for two days)
                    I grew up on Mother's Grits. If you are ever in Fort Worth, try Grady's Cowboy Grill on Forest Park. Great Pork Chops served on a bed of Cheese Grits.

Comment

I made it earlier in the year. One of my favorites
                      Attached Files

Comment

This is my pick for today so on my way to the store

Comment

Let me know how you liked it. I love the stuff......

Comment

just got back from gulf shores, everywhere you go to eat down there has this on the menu. Guess i should of tried it...

Comment

Sounds good. Copied, pasted, and e-mailed to my wife.

Comment

Working...
                              X