Photography how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photography how to?

I'm looking into purchasing a "white cube" with lights to start taking better photos of some of my handmade knives. Not being a photographer of any level, I'm curious if there are any tips/tricks or less expensive ways to get crisp clear photos with reduced glair and to pick up the details in the mossaic pins and Damascus better?

My best pics tend to be when it's cloudy out and there's no direct light and not using flash so I'm sure the cube would really help but by the time I purchase that and lights, I'm probably into it for $400 hence the question. thanks all! (some photos can be previewed in the gallery link at www.mrknives.com for reference of objects shot)

Brian

I've done OK with clip on lights and matching bulbs from Lowe's/Home depot. I put the knives under a plastic file box that diffuses the light somewhat. I cut a hole in the bottom of the box so I could drop it over the subject and shoot through the hole.

Here is one I took of a reblade/rescale on a Buck 112. I get decent results, but would like to cut out more hotspots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	112_NSDP_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	710.0 KB
ID:	24149599

As you mentioned, overcast days diffuse light nicely. Here is an outdoor shot on such a day.

Name:	112NS_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	24149601

You can also get good results with late evening sunlight when it's just about to drop below the horizon. Here is one.

Name:	112_1987_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	24149602

You can take some PVC and build a cube-like frame and drape a white sheet over it with lights hitting the outside of the cube.

Use the macro setting on your camera if it's a point and shoot. I have a macro lens that works well.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Something like this would probably be plenty good for photographing knives: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Julius-Studi...81034978288%26

You wouldn't have to have a flash. Just light up the softbox. You could move lights around wherever you needed them to reduce glare or shadows, etc. And just $50 delivered.

Assuming you have a DSLR, next just put it on a tripod and set it up for the shot. Use manual mode with ISO 100, somewhere between f/8 and f/16 to get a good broad depth of field so that everything is in focus. Find the right shutter speed to get a good exposure with the lighting you have, and then fire away. Try various angles and "poses" for the knife, as light and shadow and glare can vary when you change angles. Every knife's curves are a little different, so you may never find one magic pose that works for everything.

Oops! Casey beat me to it. Great info there.

Comment

Super info on both - thank you guys! I'm going to try to play with these ideas around Christmas and see what I can come up with - much appreciated for sure!!

Comment

Just purchased that studio on Ebay - Looks like a great deal including the lights and all - muuuuuch less than I've been seeing and will be easier to pop out and for shoots and tuck away for clean up so momma doesn't get upset

Comment

Good info. I like that light box.
            I have been using old tent poles & new game bags under $15

Comment

What lens are you using for this? I ask because if your on a dslr, a macro lens would rock.

Comment

Working...
              X