Wild hog pork Chops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild hog pork Chops?

Does anyone grill wild hog backstrap like a pork chop? (i.e. cut back strap into 1 1/2" steaks, marinade and grill with NO bacon)

Trying to find a healthy alternative to try on the next hogs backstraps....

I do they turn out great. I use Fiesta Brand Pork Rub for the seasoning.

Comment

Wouldn't cut them near that thick. Not enough fat in wild pork, it COULD dry out and overcook on the outside before the middle is done. I cut mine 1/2" sometimes less.

Comment

good info ... thx

Comment

Try cooking as a crown roast, the bone will keep em moist......I still like to thread bacon through the bone as it roasts!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies! If I cut them thick, I will stuff them with some pan sausage or something to keep them moist... If not, I will keep them around 3/4"

Comment

I'm not familiar with cutting the crown roast myself, but the pics I googled look delicious...Might have to give it a shot.

Comment

I like to give mine a bath in Dale's Marinade. Put your chops in a zip lock bag. Pour in marinade. Let sit about 10 minutes and flip bag over for another 10 minutes. Place on grill and enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianHunter View Post
                  Does anyone grill wild hog backstrap like a pork chop? (i.e. cut back strap into 1 1/2" steaks, marinade and grill with NO bacon)

Trying to find a healthy alternative to try on the next hogs backstraps....
                  Yes indeedie ... but I cut my back strap lengthways into steaks that are about 4-5 inches long. Then I do the following:

1. Apply my tenderizer device (with 32 blades) to get marinade to soak in,
                  2. Marinate them over night in the fridge in Mesquite marinade,
                  3. When I get ready to grill the steaks, I wash the marinade off, put them on a big plate, pat them dry and let them get to room temperature. Letting them get to room temperature, the meat will not get tough.
                  4. Once the steaks are at room temperature, I coat them with a little bit of canola oil and sear. grill the steaks about 2 1/2 minutes per side at about 400 degrees (actual grill temp).

Pink in the middle and tender enough to cut with a fork. No steak sauce needed. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                    X