etoufee. any good recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

etoufee. any good recipes?

anyone know of a good recipe for etoufee....doesn't matter whats in it, i just want to cool some. i know there are a few Cajuns on here, maybe some of yall can help out. Thanks guys!

here is a copy/paste with a few modifications from John Folse's recipe

Louisiana Style Crawfish Etouffee
    PREP TIME: 1 Hour
    SERVES: 6

COMMENT:
    The French word "etouffee" means to stew, smother or braise. This technique is found in dishes using shrimp, crab, crawfish and, in some cases, meat or game. Though more Creole in origin, etouffees are found throughout Cajun country.

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds cleaned crawfish tails (or shrimp)
    1/4 pound butter
    3/4 cup onion, chopped
    1/4 cup celery, chopped
    1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
    2 tbsps garlic, minced
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    1 cup flour
    2 quarts crawfish stock or water
    1 ounce sherry
    1 cup green onions, chopped
    1/4 cup parsley, chopped
    salt and cayenne pepper to taste add Ragin Blaze
    2 cups white rice, steamed

METHOD:
    In a 2-gallon stock pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, bell peppers, garlic and bay leaves. Sauté until vegetables are wilted, approximately 3-5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and blend well into mixture. Using a wire whip, blend flour into the vegetable mixture to form a white roux. Slowly add crawfish stock or water, a little at a time, until sauce consistency is achieved. Continue adding more stock as necessary to retain consistency. Bring to a bubbling boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes .. stirring occasionally. Add crawfish / shrimp , sherry, green onions and parsley and cook an additional 5-8 minutes. Season to taste using salt and cayenne pepper. Serve over steamed white rice.

Should look like this ... (serve with baked sweet potatoes and corn bread )

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 07-09-2010, 07:07 PM.

Comment

yes, that looks delicious...i think ill make some this weekend. thanks man!

Comment

Wow, that looks good! I might have to try that recipe.

Comment

Only thing I'd do different is the rice. Use 20-minute Uncle Ben's white rice. Determine the amount of water you need for the amount of rice you are going to cook (directions on the box). Boil that amount of water and drop a beef bullion cube in for every cup of water. Mix that up until the cube dissolves. Shake in some Cajun Blaze seasoning.

Put some butter in a pan for the rice and melt it. Dump in the rice and saute the rice for a minute or two until all the rice is well-buttered. Now pour the bullion into the rice pan and stir it up, turn heat down to simmer. Put a lid on it and simmer for 20 minutes. Let it stand after that until all the water is gone/soaked up.

Now, THAT's some good rice.

Comment

i knew blake would come thru!

Comment

Man that looks real good. I need to eat

Comment

Really want to try this recipe. But all I could find was already cooked, ready to eat crawfish tails. Would you just drop em in for a minute just to heat em up or still cook the eight minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by saltwater View Post
                  Really want to try this recipe. But all I could find was already cooked, ready to eat crawfish tails. Would you just drop em in for a minute just to heat em up or still cook the eight minutes?
                  If they are allready cook all you want to do is heat them up which should only take a few minutes. Any longer and they will get rubbery. IMO though allready cooked ones wont be nearly as good b/c alot of the flavor in a crawfish etoufee comes from the fat on the uncooked tails which is what makes US crawfish tails the best to cook with over the Chineese and cooked ones.

Comment

Looks like I'm gonna have to find some fresh bugs around Dallas. Anybody know where preferablly around Denton?

Comment

Every time I make rice it comes out a sticky glob of goo. I'm following the directions on the packages but I don't thinktheir directions are supposed to yeild the gelatinous mass I manage to produce.

Any suggestions?

Comment

I'm making some this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by saltwater View Post
                          Looks like I'm gonna have to find some fresh bugs around Dallas. Anybody know where preferablly around Denton?
                          MAKE SURE THE PACKAGE STATES PRODUCT OF LOUISIANA, not some far east country

Comment

Originally posted by Lurch0000 View Post
                            Every time I make rice it comes out a sticky glob of goo. I'm following the directions on the packages but I don't thinktheir directions are supposed to yeild the gelatinous mass I manage to produce.

Any suggestions?

i use medium grain rice from Louisiana (or any USA product)

i do not use 5 min rice as my recipe below is spot on

1 1/4 cups water
                            1 cup rice

place water in pot on stove and add 1 tblspn of butter - turn heat on high

when water begins to boil , add rice ... stir around, then cover with top and set stove temp to 2 or slightly above "low"

set timer for 20 min once you cover with top and rice will be done, perfect

Comment

Ingredients
                              1 cup butter 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 2 onions, minced 1 green bell pepper, diced 3 cloves garlic, diced 16 ounces cleaned crawfish tails 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce salt and pepper to taste
                              Directions
                              In a stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. When butter is bubbling, add flour to make a roux, stirring constantly to prevent or remove any lumps. Cook the roux for 5 minutes. Do not brown.
                              Stir in onions and bell peppers; saute 10 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add garlic, and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in crawfish tails. Slowly pour in enough water to reach a little thicker than soup-like consistency. Season with cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and salt and pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.

this recipe is awesome!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X