Palo Pinto food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palo Pinto food plots

Let me be the first to post here! This year we are going to hit the food plot's hard! Any advice on plots for this area? We had a good thread going on the campfire. Let's get one going here! This was my plot 2 years ago. It was just coming up. Here's a pic of a buck that was coming in about every night.

wheat and oats, fertilizer... success

Comment

Never been in this area before so no idea on what you need to do for food plot, but I do know that is a awesome buck & food plots are way better than feeders. You get more for your buck & never have to worry about a dead battery of feeder being out of corn...

Comment

Son!!!!

Comment

A good way to produce a great plot, kill all the pigs!!

Comment

Man! He is a hoss!

Comment

Do you have a grain drill, or do you plow them in?

Comment

Originally posted by peacockoutdoors View Post
                Do you have a grain drill, or do you plow them in?
                We just used a disc and then came in behind dragging the top soil. Used a spreader off the tractor for seeding. This was wheat, oats, winter peas and turnips.

Comment

Peas work good. As long as it rains

Comment

I saw more deer this year since the guy that leases for cattles wheat/oat mix finally grew. Now its really nice and green but way after the season. Going to try and plant a big food plot along a pipeline that runs through our place.

Comment

I disc up the ground, use a broadcast spreader for the seed and fertilizer mix, then cover with a contraption I built that is mostly southern engineering. Works though. Tried a grain drill years ago and the tubes would get clogged or would hit a stump or root and not drop seed so I quit using it.

Comment

I would recommend a native mixture of Engelmann's daisy, Maximilian sunflower and Illinois bundleflower. Since they're native these plants grow extremely well, deer (as well as other wildlife) love them and they can handle drought conditions. I plan on planting a few 1/2-1 acre plots this year myself on the ranch I am currently managing.
                        Last edited by Blood Lust; 02-23-2010, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Lust View Post
                          I would recommend a native mixture of Engelmann's daisy, Maximilian sunflower and Illinois bundleflower. Since they're native these plants grow extremely well, deer (as well as other wildlife) love them and they can handle drought conditions. I plan on planting a few 1/2-1 acre plots this year myself on the ranch I am currently managing.
                          Do you broadcast the mix?
                          Last edited by smokey; 02-23-2010, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X