7mm Rem. Mag Accubonds vs. Ballistic Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
    Not my experience at all ! Vld’s are sizzlers and don’t do well inside of 150! I shoot Vld’s out of a .243 and now my 300 win mag and they are awesome, but when people start talking about 7 mags it’s a different ball game in My humble experiences.
    I’m running that 180 at 3075 in my 7. Had em at 3050 on my 300. And 3040-3050 in my 6.5-284. The faster a Berger goes the more explosive it is up close. They do some nasty things at 300+ on critters too haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      Good to know. I appreciate that information too.

And just to get your opinion on the bullet size, if you were going to use Accubonds would you personally use 140 or 160 grain?
      160 at a minimum. 140s were built for 7-08 in my opinion.

Others may have different experience but don’t waste your time with the ABLR. Super finicky Bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        These?

[ATTACH]1048412[/ATTACH]
        Si Senor!

Comment

7mm Rem. Mag Accubonds vs. Ballistic Tips

7 mag is a sizzler and doesn’t do a good job of expanding ( unless hitting bone) until you get out past the 150-200 yd mark! 140’s are great but if you want expansion within those ranges then they will need to be loaded down ! Accubonds are awesome though!

I don’t buy into this theory AT ALL. Velocity is what makes a traditional Bullet expand, that’s why they have a minimum velocity expansion threshold. The upper velocity threshold represents the maximum velocity that the bullet would hold together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Guys I appreciate all the input. This gives me a couple of directions to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              I don’t buy into this theory AT ALL. Velocity is what makes a traditional Bullet expand, that’s why they have a minimum velocity expansion threshold. The upper velocity threshold represents the maximum velocity that the bullet would hold together.

I was a hunting guide for 3 years! I had to track more animals - long distances that were shot with a 7 mag within 150 yds- through and through with no expansion on exit- with so many different brands of cartridges! I cringed when they showed up with the 7’s! In the end it’s shot placement no matter what your throwing at them ! I have a 7 - great gun but like I said, I neck shoot!

Comment

I was a hunting guide for 3 years! I had to track more animals - long distances that were shot with a 7 mag within 150 yds- through and through with no expansion on exit- with so many different brands of cartridges! I cringed when they showed up with the 7’s! In the end it’s shot placement no matter what your throwing at them ! I have a 7 - great gun but like I said, I neck shoot!
                Maybe because you recommended they shoot that **** Barnes?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Maybe because you recommended they shoot that **** Barnes?
                  Bwahahahaha... that was way before I started with Barnes

Comment

Bwahahahaha... that was way before I started with Barnes
                    I heard the same about the 7 mag. Ironically from Mike D himself . I have not had that experience. I suppose a high quality bonded Bullet and a shooter aiming for the lungs on a whitetail size animal would do that. Shoulder shots are all I do besides pigs and the occasional doe. Can’t run far with 2 busted shoulders.

Comment

Well good for you.

But I’m not a fan of the 7mag but it ain’t from bullet failure. If a bullet fails to expand its a **** poor bullet design, not a cartridge specific issue.

Roy Hines does agree with you about the 7 mag and wounding though.

Hi Matt. [emoji51]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        Well good for you.

But I’m not a fan of the 7mag but it ain’t from bullet failure. If a bullet fails to expand its a **** poor bullet design, not a cartridge specific issue.

Roy Hines does agree with you about the 7 mag and wounding though.

Hi Matt. [emoji51]

No need to be sarcastic! Well, maybe you have the need

The proof is in the puddin : real life hunting and not at the range!

I hope that you have a very blessed day along with everyone else!

Comment

Originally posted by saintsfan View Post
                          Ive been shooting the Winchester 150 gr. BST in 7mm Mag and they are nasty. Never had a whitetail take a step. Shot a red stag last year at 150 yds and it made it 40 yds.
                          This! Same here, they have all been drt!

Comment

No need to be sarcastic! Well, maybe you have the need

The proof is in the puddin : real life hunting and not at the range!

I hope that you have a very blessed day along with everyone else!

I guess I may have taken your response the wrong way. I apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                              This! Same here, they have all been drt!
                              If I'm not mistaken Winchester uses Nosler BT's in their ammo, so I'd be opened to those too. But like actual Nosler BT's I can't find Winchester BT's either.

It sounds like BT's may be a good option regardless, IF I can find them.

For what it's worth I do know exactly what y'all are talking about as far as 7 mag. expansion issues at short ranges. Typically I'll shoot them through the shoulder though, so hitting bone seems to help mitigate that.

We have some big bodied bucks at our place so I'm hesitant to use my .243 and was thinking if push comes to shove and I can't get 7mm-08 BT's I may have to dust of my 7 Mag.
                              Last edited by Etxbuckman; 05-03-2021, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I know others here may like BTs. But man they are sketchy. Explosive. Like a grown up Vmax. Hard pass here!

Comment

Working...
                                X