Arrow brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow brands

There’s a ton of different arrows and brands. Some cheap some expensive.
    What type of arrows and/or brands do you shy away from, why? Which do you prefer and why?

I know fishing tackle but learning the archery world.

Ordered both the Ranch Fairy field point test kits. So I’m looking for getting some more arrows. Currently shooting black eagle rampage 350 spine cut to 30”.
    Should I get a couple 250 and 300 spine? Or would 250 be to stiff with heavier arrows even once I get my draw weight up.
    Now that I’m getting better at shooting(still have a long way to go but getting better every week) I’m going to start increasing my draw weight, slowly. Right now it’s at 53#, draw length is 30.5”.

Advice and jokes are welcomed.

According to the BE chart, 350’s is where you fall. Depending on how much you increase your DW, will depend on if/when to go to 250’s.

I dont really shy away from any archery equipment. I research all of it. Its part of the game for me.

As for what arrows I prefer, Easton Axis N-Fused. Been shooting them for years.

If you do a search, there was just a great thread on what everybody thought was the toughest arrow. Might be a good one to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I built a dozen of black eagle rampage 250. My total weight is 640 gr. I have like them so far. 70 lbs, 28.5" draw length.

Comment

Welcome to archery. 29" PW 60 lb draw, 62 years young, Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575/400 with "old reliable" Muzzy 100 fixed broadheads, total weight 420 gr. Over a lifetime I've learned to minimize the number of moving parts, less to go wrong. A fixed broadhead can't fail to open; no mechanical broadhead is 100% reliable and Murphy is always hunting for the absolute best time for him (and worst time for you) to apply his Law. Believe it or not, there are hunters who have lost trophies because their mechanical broadheads failed to open properly. But people swear by them, and when they work they can be absolutely devastating. Deer is just as dead with my well-placed Muzzy 100, though. Lots of choices, personal preference.

Comment

I’ll look into that thread and do more TBH searches.
          I don’t plan on using mechanicals. I like the thought of the traditional 2 blade heads as well as 2 blade with bleeders.

I guess my question geared to do you get what you pay for? When it comes to fishing tackle there’s a huge difference in between a rod off a Walmart shelf and a rod that was built by fisherman for fisherman. They will both catch fish to a certain extent but the Walmart rod/reel is severely limited in its capability and durability.

I see many arrows on archery websites that are several dollars or more cheaper. I don’t doubt they will kill an animal.

Comment

Originally posted by Button View Post
            I’ll look into that thread and do more TBH searches.
            I don’t plan on using mechanicals. I like the thought of the traditional 2 blade heads as well as 2 blade with bleeders.

I guess my question geared to do you get what you pay for? When it comes to fishing tackle there’s a huge difference in between a rod off a Walmart shelf and a rod that was built by fisherman for fisherman. They will both catch fish to a certain extent but the Walmart rod/reel is severely limited in its capability and durability.

I see many arrows on archery websites that are several dollars or more cheaper. I don’t doubt they will kill an animal.

If you go to the equipment and tuning section of this site and do some reading, you will quickly figure out what most folks here consider good broadheads and arrows. Slick tricks, muzzys, magnus’ are going to be the main standard off the shelf heads shot that arent mechanical. As for arrows, its all over the map. There is a fella here who customizes arrows to folks setup that they seem to like. You might read into that.

But in general, stick with axis, gold tip, maxima, black eagle arrows and you will be just fine.

I know thats a very high level response, but in what I mentioned, if you buy a head of said brands that you can tell isnt gimmicky and you buy a correctly spined arrow of said brands, you’ll likely be just fine.

For me, its 100gr slick trick mags and axis n-fused arrows that are in my quiver most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thank you for the insight. I’m as inquisitive as I was 2 decades about fishing.
              Supposedly I’m ‘obsessive’ I see it as studious. It’s all or nothing. That’s what it takes to fully learn something.
              If I can spear fish I can spear deer. Different species are interesting, some are clearly inquisitive, others more afraid(intelligent?). One thing I’ve learned(think) is they can feel your heart beat. Being calm and cool will result in more fish coming up to check you out. After all if you were a body floating in one of the oceans you are considered habitat to some fish. Others food. Basically get in tune with the environment, applies to rod and reel as well.

Comment

I’ve always been an Easton guy but they discontinued my favorite arrows so I’ve been on the hunt for a replacement.

Black eagles are in the top of the list. They make solid arrows from what I’ve researched.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I've shot the same arrows for 5 years... I'm down to two so gonna order a dozen and a half... I'm as lost as you bud

Comment

I stopped by hoffys yesterday to order some more bullets. Jason told me that they can’t get 100g or 50 grain inserts. Apparently they’ve been on back order since April. Dang corona bs finally has affected my life. I won’t be wasting any more ammo on hogs and varmints until this is resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gold tip hunter shafts. I order mine 6$ a piece from Lancaster archery. 340 spine cut to 28 1/2 inches with standard nock and insert. 4 inch bohning wrap with three fletch blazers and a slick trick standard. I shoot 60# 29 inch draw. I haven’t jumped on the high foc bandwagon yet but I have entertained using a 125 grain tip. Gold tips have been durable for me

Comment

Working...
                      X