Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When'd you take the plunge and get rid of your compound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunted all day the past could days with the recurve. Supposed to rain most of the week next week. Glad I brought the compound.

Comment

A looooooooong time ago, I asked one of the local salty dog trad shooters how a guy ever gets good with traditional bows. In a nutshell, his answer was to sell the compound. I did not sell it, but quit shooting it and concentrated on learning how to shoot trad bows. Lots of years later I gave that compound away to a new archer to get started with.

Bisch

Comment

2008 i believe. I knew id probably never take a compound to the stand again on the day i took my first shot at an animal with my trad bow.....and missed

Comment

I got back into trad Archery in 1994. I haven't hunted with a compound since then. I still break out the rifle, pistol, muzzleloader, or shotgun on occasion. It's all fun.

Comment

Don't know that I'll ever get rid of my compound but I feel pretty confident that I'll never buy another one.

Comment

I have shot both compounds and traditional equipment for many years. Each bow will have its advantage's and disadvantages over the other. You are not penalized by using a stickbow....you will actually have some advantages over a compound. It's all just choices, shoot what you like and be confident..... As for me I will continue to shoot both!

Comment

When I "need" venison, my Matthew's is pretty much a guarantee. However, I've only used it once in 6 hunts this season

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Have taken my recurve on every sit thus far. Will probably use the compound come elk season.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                    When I "need" venison, my Matthew's is pretty much a guarantee. However, I've only used it once in 6 hunts this season

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                    This was my plan. I found I couldn't go back and forth though. If I tried to shoot both, my form seemed to suffer and I couldn't shoot either one as well as I wanted to. So I decided to go all trad, and use a rifle if times get hard. And as of now times are hard lol!! I'm rifle hunting until I get some meat in the freezer, then I'll start bowhunting again.

The other thing that drew me to a tradbow, is that I can do everything myself. I can replace servings and strings, no sights or rest to worry about, and I can do my own tuning. The closest good bow shop to me is an hour away, and I stay so busy it's a pain to go there and back and waste 2 or 3 hours when I have a little hiccup. Other than that I probably would have held on to mine too.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                      Have taken my recurve on every sit thus far. Will probably use the compound come elk season.
                      I think that's a good choice. I will be doing the same in hopes that I can finally kill a bull. It hurts a lot to watch a bull walk at 40 or 50 yards. On the other hand, nothing feels better than burying an arrow from a recurve into an animal that size.

Comment

Had a buck walk in on me at the very last minute of day light at 5:45, I couldn't see him well enough to draw, but what a rush. So freaking close.
                        Last edited by rhendrix; 11-08-2016, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Another shooter at 50ish yards. Couldn't pull him off the doe he was with. Would've easily been my best buck with a bow. Had a doe and fawn right under me this morning but she pegged me when I stood up with her back to me and her head down. She was close enough for me to hear her breath. One of the coolest experiences bow hunting I've had. I'm hooked to hunting with this recurve.

Comment

Just keep after them, and good luck. If you are hunting a place with critters (and it sounds like that is a yes), it will happen!!!!

Bisch

Comment

I grew up shooting a Ben Pearson recurve. And i was pretty good with it. It was a bad idea to be a bull frog with your head sticking up out of the water. Then along came compounds. I bought a Bear Whitetail 2 and was pretty good with it. Then i had to get serious. I bought a PSE Mach Flite 4 w/ overdraw. And i could handle it pretty well. But, when i had the best buck i'd ever seen at 12 yards, drew for the shot, and had squeeky part due to sub-zero temps, and watched that buck turn and nonchalantly walk away, i was done with mechanical bows and equipment. Back to a recurve. A nice Black Widow that i enjoy, and hope to get more serious with. Good times.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X