Garage Vs Carport for Country Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Vs Carport for Country Home

Hopefully in the next two years we will be building a home on some land in the country. Land will be down a private dirt road with only a handful of people driving by it (but anyone could access the front gate if they wanted with no locks or gate present before hand).

We are in the early stages of planning and one of the main things we keep getting hung up on is if we want a traditional closed garage, or more of a covered carport built into the house (with roofing and siding/columns to match the house). My wife seems to like the idea of a carport better but I kind of like the idea of being able to lock up other vehicles while out of town. I do plan on building a larger shop but not until a couple of years after moving into the house.

For those of you who live in the country, what are some pros and cons to each, and what do you personally have?

Thanks.
    Last edited by 44mAG; 01-09-2020, 11:24 AM.

Garages fill up and you won't have anywhere to park. I like the carport with shop.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      Garages fill up and you won't have anywhere to park. I like the carport with shop.
      This is why he needs a carport coming off the garage.

Throw a couple ceiling fans under the carport and it doubles as a shaded party area when having folks over as well.

Comment

I personally like my garage plus my shop. Not a fan of just a carport.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          This is why he needs a carport coming off the garage.

Throw a couple ceiling fans under the carport and it doubles as a shaded party area when having folks over as well.
          Yep. Garage, add a slab and covered carport off of it with electricity for not much more $. Best of both worlds. Especially if you are not building the shop for a few years.

Comment

Carport will stay cleaner and makes a good place to hang out, outside. We use ours a lot when we have people over. Cook under it, hook up a tv and watch a game, etc.

None of my stuff is locked. I figure if someone wants anything that bad, they’ll get it.

Comment

We live in the country and have a "Texas Garage" as our builder called it. We can fit my truck and wifes car in easily with room to walk around etc. Do have to be somewhat careful opening vehicle doors so they dont hit the other vehicle parked inside. It can and does get cluttered with "stuff" from time to time and I will spend a Saturday morning organizing and cleaning stuff up, but we really like the garage. It is especially nice on bad weather days when you can get in the vehicle without getting cold or wet. I dont have a shop yet, but I do have a work bench and tool wall in the garage so I can get a lot of my projects done in the garage.

Comment

I went with a 32' wide X 24' deep carport & a 40' X 60' shop w/20' X 60' shed roof over the front and love it...but if I had it to do over, I think I'd make the carport 30' deep. 24' barely covers my LWB CC F350
                Last edited by cj7zrcool; 01-09-2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Garage but I don't keep junk so mine doesn't fill up like lots do. Vehicles stay cleaner and they're out of sight when they need to be.

We have our shop now with 25' extended in the front for parking. Vehicles in the garage if my wife and I are both gone still
                  Last edited by bphillips; 01-09-2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I agree on shop/garage with leantos to park under. Locks just slow them down....

Comment

Actually out where I'm at I honestly can't think of a place with a garage, all carports and shops.....

Comment

We have both. A double carport with a breezeway from the house and a 2 1/2 car garage attached to it.

Comment

GRage for resale. 3 car is you have room

Comment

We built a 3 car carport, 24'D x 36'W along with an 30'x60' shop. We like the carport over a garage. Since it's wide open we are less likely to clutter it up and store everything in the shop. We can use it as a gathering spot when we have guest. Wife likes the fact she can drive through rather than backing out and turning around. Her only complaint is her car gets cold in the winter, when we actually have cold weather. I've offered to close it in and she said she prefers the open carport. We lived in Cedar Park and our cars were broken into 3x. Had 2 guns stolen recovered 1. Never had an issue with theft once we moved to the country.

Comment

Why not build a carport in front of the garage

Comment

Working...
                              X