Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 09-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #301
jkg2003
Ten Point

Hunt In: Annona

Sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jkg2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #302
force10
Spike

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
force10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #303
wlee15
Four Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame View Post
Looks awesome!

Y'all see many rattlesnakes?

We are south of you a ways and never see any.
This is second we have seen in person in two years. I have also seen a few at the feeders in trail cam photos.
wlee15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #304
wlee15
Four Point

I went out opening weekend to hunt. Instead of just relaxing I couldn't just do nothing so I did some small things around the cabin. I did them to mainly keep me occupied because no one else could come with me. So being alone I did menial tasks in the heat of the day. I was able to finish foam sealing the floor and ceiling perimeter to ensure no easy way for insects to get in.

For the hunting it was a good weekend. every sit I had at least 2 animals in front of me that presented easy shots withing 15yards. Had a doe with a fawn come in on Saturday afternoon, she stood broadside at 15 yards for 10 min. The fawn looked rather young so I didn't want to take her; BUT i did want to see if I could at least get a draw on her. I was successful with drawing, aiming and letting the bow back down without her seeing me. I am in a 10ft tripod stand tucked into some taller cedar and Oaks, but with no netting etc on the front so I am exposed but blend in with background. I did manage to get the draw sequence on my bow mounted video camera but don't know how to upload videos. The next morning I saw 7 hogs before daylight, a 8 point buck (too young) and the same Doe and Fawn. This time I was over confident and pulled out my phone to take some pictures. After snapping 2 or 3 pictures the Doe busted me big time! She snorted and took off Fawn in tow. (Pic 1 is the picture i took when she busted me)

I came home empty handed but had fun and got some things done around the cabin.

On Saturday Andy was in San Antonio and he scored some free materials that we need to haul out there right away. He got the insulation we need for the cabin for free. It was a total of 30 4'x8' panels. (Pic 2) these panels are roof insulation panels that were removed from a remodeled Target store. They are 3 1/4" think with a hard paperboard front and back coating. I took Yesterday off work and we headed out to deliver and/or install what we could. We arrived at 9:45AM and at 3:45 we had completely insulated the cabin exterior walls. Pics (3-5)

The panels should help make the inside of the cabin pretty darn sound proof and should keep the heat and cool in great. Because the panels are thicker than the 3" supports were are now going to have to install furring strips to the uprights to clear the insulation, but having thicker walls is no big deal.

I am hoping to get out there again soon to start the walls and ceiling. I feel like things are finally starting to progress at it is starting to look like a real house/cabin!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #305
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

It really looks amazing....
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #306
macoop
Ten Point

That’s always nice when you can score some free stuff that helps you out. Lookin good
macoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #307
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Nice score on the panels!
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #308
Arrowflinger84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Spikezilla

thats amazing. keep the pics coming.
Arrowflinger84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #309
youngSLY88
Spike

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

Incredible! Can't wait for the next update.
youngSLY88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #310
AlwaysGigEm
Six Point

Hunt In: Wherever I'm Invited

It's coming together. Really cool!
AlwaysGigEm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #311
Tx_Wader
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Man that cabin is built better than any I've seen.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #312
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Looking great !
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #313
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Just got caught up, looking great man! You're ready for a winder unit and a space heater!
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #314
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Very cool thread. Keep going man I am very anxious to see the final product. You have done great work.

I was always bribed with free beer and BBQ to get me to come work. lol
manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #315
shark
Four Point

Hunt In: Wherever i can...

Love It! cant wait to see the fished product.
shark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #316
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

any updates ?
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #317
wlee15
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas8point View Post
any updates ?
Unfortunately I had another death in the family so I have not been out there in over a month and a half. I plan to go this weekend after thanksgiving but I do not plan to do any "work" just going to try to relax and enjoy it. As soon as the season is over I will be hitting it hard.

Good to everyone out there in the woods!
Old 11-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #318
rileydog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Motley Co., Hutchinson Co.

Hope its a relaxing weekend for ya!!
rileydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 02:27 AM   #319
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria Co, public land

awesome DIY
MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2019, 06:19 AM   #320
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Incredible project.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #321
Vick,J.D.
Spike

Awesome Build!
Vick,J.D. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #322
RanchFrag
Spike

Hunt In: @Ranchfrag

Cool thread and even more impressive build. My father and I are into a year of our ranch rebuild all things camp and wildlife management. Been documenting everything from start to finish on Spacebook and IG. I like seeing stuff like this because it helps generate ideas for future projects. Anyways Bravo!
RanchFrag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2019, 08:30 PM   #323
Alderrg
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano / Trinity Bay

sweet build!
Alderrg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #324
CP25OD1
Spike

Awesome project!
CP25OD1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #325
sandbill
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montague County

Dang nice!
sandbill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2020, 07:46 AM   #326
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Amazing build, going to be a great place to enjoy for years.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #327
JMart76
Spike

Hunt In: Hill country

Very nice, hopefully you had a productive deer season! Looking forward to seeing the finished cabin. All the work looks amazing!
JMart76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #328
wlee15
Four Point

Went to the ranch Friday January 31st. We decided to start building out the bathhouse. First we built a custom counter top and sink. pic 1 After we built that we build a 3" bottom for the concrete floor, with a base unit for the toilet. We mounted those to the bottom of the silo and then began building the shower stall. the shower stall is rounded in the same diameter as the silo but offset to make is kind of football shaped. Pic 2 We poured 15 80lb bags of concrete into the floor. We were treated to a great sunset at the end of the day. The Fallow day we added another step to the East side of the deck to make it easier to get on and off of the deck. After that we took some drone footage.

Drone Video 1: https://youtu.be/n1lDk2KJLSs
Drone Video 2: https://youtu.be/rkCKpMoVlEo
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2020, 04:42 PM   #329
kdm015
Spike

Hunt In: North Texas

looking great
kdm015 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #330
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

pretty slick man!
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #331
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

Just seeing this one, wow amazing build!!! Hats off to ya!
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #332
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

What kind of wood is that on the inside walls
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #333
MacDaddy67
Ten Point

wow
MacDaddy67 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #334
wlee15
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post
What kind of wood is that on the inside walls
Are you talking about the wood below? (pic 1) If so that is the same cedar siding, but it was the top layer that was exposed and weathered more. I liked the way that looked so in the Main bedroom I used all of that on that wall. The other interior walls will not be Cedar, I am still trying to figure that out (looking for deals) I am thinking of getting Free old fence boards and using those in some fashion. I was thinking that if I put plywood on the walls then paint the plywood Black, then use large gaps between the fence board so that you can see the black behind it would be cool. Kinda like the 2nd picture below. Below the fence-board will be a wainscoting made of Rusty tin. What do you all think of that?
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2020, 08:39 AM   #335
Chad_E
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado Co.

I've seen that and old pallets done similarly. Both looked pretty sharp. The interesting thing on the pallets is they were put on the ceiling and then a clear coat of stain was put on them to give them a polished looks. I was impressed.
Chad_E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #336
macoop
Ten Point

That is pretty cool looking. I’m in the framing process of my metal bar do and I plan on putting up as much old wood on the inside as I can get my hands on. Lookin good!!
Old 02-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #337
kmack
Six Point

Hunt In: Comfort & Leakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee15 View Post
I am thinking of getting Free old fence boards...
Around the corner from my house is a stack of old fence panels left in a neighbors yard from the University. At the dead-end of UTSA Blvd (UTSA/Babcock). It's college students that live in the house and UTSA repaired the fence a couple weeks ago, but left all the panels lying there in the yard. I'm sure the guys that live there won't mind you picking them up.

Worth checking into.

(I've wanted to go grab some of the boards, but I have too many projects going on right now for this...)
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #338
wlee15
Four Point

We made another weekend trip and got alot done. I plumped in the shower and the bathroom sink to a temporary Tote. It turned out to be perfect. I have a 12v RV pump to provide the water pressure to the shower and sink. The shower is a on demand propane heater that only cost me $119.00. It automatically turns on the propane when water flow is detected so it only uses propane while in use. The sink will not have hot water, but if I wanted to I could do the same setup under the cabinet. I installed some LED rope lights alone the top rim of the tank that have a lite glow all night long (they are solar powered and come on auto-magically. All in all it looks freaking awesome in my opinion.(Pics 1-3). I also got to take my first hot shower and it was wonderful. (sorry no picture of that!)

I installed the toilet as well but I have not plumbed water to it yet. I do have a dilemma though and hope you all can help me out..... First off I will not have a septic tank. My plan is to use a large black-water tank and have a septic company come out periodically to pump it out. So I bought a ultra low flow RV toilet. It only uses .32 gallons of water per flush. I know that these are designed for an RV with a black-water tank directly underneath it. I can install a small 200 gallon one under my bathhouse with no issue. My question is if I want to install a larger tank like a 500 gallon one about 25 yards away from the toilet will it work? I don't think that there is going to be enough water-flow to push the fecal matter that far down to the tank. I don't want to create a blockage if stuff just stops in the middle and dries up. The large tank will be about 6' lower than the toilet and i can drop the pipe at a direct angle to the tank. Personally I don't think it will work with the RV toilet but it would work with a normal one. To me they both are about the same, if I use a small tank with a low flow RV type toilet or a larger tank with a normal higher flow toilet the amount of flushes would even out. What do you all think?

We also got the front door installed and the hardware on both doors installed so the structure is finally secure. Pic 4
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2020, 10:19 PM   #339
macoop
Ten Point

I think your front door is awesome
Old 02-12-2020, 06:38 PM   #340
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

awesome
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #341
wlee15
Four Point

The weekend we set out to get a few items done on the cabin and fencing.

Two weeks ago I paid a fencing company to fence the cul-de-sac that my lot surrounds. It was only about 260' of fencing, with a break in it for a 16 foot gate. They did not use any T-posts, rather they used 3" drill stem all the way around. They still have to tighten it up a bit and set an H brace in the corner to get it all done. They told me that the gate posts were ready to go so we made a plan to install the Gate, and trim out the front door this weekend. (pics 1,2&3)

As per usual things did not go as planned! The Gate posts, even though they had H braces install in line with the fence, were not stable enough to hold up the gates I bought. So we had to install another H brace perpendicular to the fence. We hand dug the holes with breaker bars, cut and welded some drill stem that I had on hand (thank goodness) We welded it up and leveled everything. We then cemented everything in. That took our entire Saturday to complete. (Pics 4 & 5)

Sunday morning we woke up to dew and fog. As things cleared up I was able to get a cool picture of the fog in the valley to the west. (pic 6)

After the dew dried out we began the hanging of the gates. I got lucky about 2 years ago we found a guy with 2 8 foot gate panels who only wanted $30.00 for both. Although I knew it would be a while before I could ever install them I couldn't pass it up. I forgot just how heavy they were because we delivered them out there and had be sitting there since I bought them. Man was I glad we decided to add those H braces. Each gate is 8 foot wide and 6' tall. We installed the mounts and leveled it our as best we could (its not perfect but it will do!) We install gate hardware and then I painted all of the gate pipes black. (Pics 6-9)
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #342
CentralTXHunter
Four Point

Default Ranch Cabin Build

I love black pipe. We just painted all the drill stem pipe at my mother in laws black and it looks amazing. I can not believe the deals youíve picked up on this build. Incredible finds!

On the tankless hot water heater, was it an Ecotemp? Been looking at the L7 for deer camp.

Awesome job on all of this. I hope to have my own slice of texas like this in the next 5 years.

CentralTXHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #343
wlee15
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
I love black pipe. We just painted all the drill stem pipe at my mother in laws black and it looks amazing. I can not believe the deals youíve picked up on this build. Incredible finds!

On the tankless hot water heater, was it an Ecotemp? Been looking at the L7 for deer camp.

Awesome job on all of this. I hope to have my own slice of texas like this in the next 5 years.

I got mine on Amazon. I paid 69.99 for mine (pic 1) They are not selling that one anymore but there is the same one OEM'd by a different manufacture that is selling them for 72.88.

https://www.amazon.com/Ridgeyard-Pro...s%2C186&sr=8-6

I only use this for showers not for anything else. Next time I go out I will take a better picture of the installed unit.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #344
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Great info on the water heater! I’ll plan on using something similar for ours!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #345
jdimento
Nubbin' Buck

This was an awesome read. Looking forward to seeing this progress
jdimento is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #346
wlee15
Four Point

On Friday 2-28-2020 I purchased a 600 gallon tank to be used for the septic system. We picked up the tank and loaded the truck late that afternoon but decided not to leave out until morning.

Saturday we left San Antonio at 6:30 and headed out to Rocksprings. We made a stop at the lowes in Kerville for plumbing supplies need to connect the Tank to the bathhouse.

We arrived at the ranch at about 10:00 AM. We first had to build a level base for the tank to sit on. Of course we used metal. 100% of the metal was scrape metal we got for free. We used an 8' round off a metal spool for the base and then leveled it up and added the uprights and supports (pics 1-3). After creating the base we decided to add a cover over the base to ensure there was nothing on the base that could wear a hole in the tank underneath. I believe that I shared the story about the old Valero awning panels that we got for free previously, so we used those panels. The panels are Aluminum on the inside and coated with a plastic coating and a plastic print design on one side. The opposite side has an all white coating on it. We laded down a layer of the panels and cut the to fit the round.

We placed the tank on top and began plumbing the tank to the bathhouse. The tank is 40' away from the bathhouse, and because the bathhouse sit up pretty high on its own the pipe is suspended pretty high. when you look at the pictures it is hard to tell but the pipe is about 5-6' above the ground. We built some temporary supports for the pipe as seen in (pics 4-8). I do need some ideas on how to build permanent supports for the suspended pipe. My first thought is a concreted drill stem supporting the pipe with a rock facade, basically rock pillars.. But I and not convinces that will look the best. IF you have seen any cool ideas please pass them on to me!

We have some really old fashion steel gutters that are like half rounds (pic 9) We have enough to cover the top and bottom of the pipe so it will look like a old steel pipe going from the bathhouse to the tank. I think it would look cool to make the tank itself look like a wooden barre. By putting vertical wood pieces from the base up to the height of the pipe so it will look as if the pipe empty's into the barrel. We have some old strapping from a old wooden water tank that we will use as accents to create the look of a giant barrel.

Next weekend will be the maiden voyage for the wife at the ranch. She has been out before but only for the day. She and one of her girlfriends will be coming out with me on Saturday, and staying the night Saturday night. Hopefully everything will go as planned. I still have to set the toilet in place and plumb it in but that will only take a few minutes. Then I have the install the 20w solar panel on the bathhouse to provide power to the water pump and lighting system in the bathroom.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2020, 09:06 PM   #347
macoop
Ten Point

Better get the toilet set for the women folks or you’ll be in trouble. It’s looking good and you are making great progress. Keep posting!!
Old 03-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #348
wlee15
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoop View Post
Better get the toilet set for the women folks or youíll be in trouble. Itís looking good and you are making great progress. Keep posting!!
Oh yeah the is the first thing I am putting in! Funny thing was my wife said would not spend the night out there without a shower and a functioning toilet! So this is a real turning point for us, if things go well this weekend she will be spending more time with us helping on the interior of the cabin. We have a LOT of work to do but its all easier things that she can help with.

I am definitely excited!
Old 03-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #349
wlee15
Four Point

This weekend with the Wife and Her friend was a HUGE success! They absolutely loved it out there! First I put them to work.... they had the task of painting all of the fence pipe black to match the gates. They made short work of that and got it done in high winds in only an hour or so. While they were doing that I installed and plumb'd the toilet. Everything worked out great. I FINALLY took a picture of the shower setup as promised (pic 1) I also got a picture of the installed toilet and Sink (pics 2&3)

After the girls tested out the toilet, they felt like drinking and exploring. I didn't much more work other then cleaning up the drops and misc materials we left out after the septic install.

We walked the entire perimeter of the property and the girls had so much fun picking up rocks and seeing nature. Our Neighbor ran into us right when we arrived back to camp and offed to take us around in his ranger. I am so glad he did; the wife has always scoffed at getting a SXS but now she is the one who wants one!!!! He drove us around the area a bit and through his property as well. By the time we finished the tour the girls we full on drunk. IT was about 4PM! We went back to the cabin and enjoyed the deck before preparing for dark and dinner.

It was a full moon and before the sun even went down we pulled out the telescope and got great views of the moon.

For dinner I made us backed potatoes, and Ribeye steaks cooks on a cast iron skilled with butter and rosemary. I cooked them in the pizza oven at about 700 degrees. It was delicious. They said it was the best steak ever (they were good but the girls were drunk I could have served opossum and they would have devoured it)

The girls had such a good time I asked to give me a few of there favorite pictures that they took while out there (pics 4-13)

On a serious note if you even had a cast iron pan over 600 degrees do not use a cheap oven mitt! I bought a oven mitt from the dollar store because I remember that the last time out we didn't have anything to grad the cast iron pot, we ended up using cardboard that time. Well the cheap oven mitt I bought melted as soon as I grabbed it! By the time I got it 3 foot over to the table it had burned plum though to my hand. Luckily I dropped it on the table before it burnt me. I should have taken a picture of it. I am going to find a better mitt for sure.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #350
macoop
Ten Point

Looks like it was a success. Now you get to enjoy it.