Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default Thinking of Switching to Thumb Release. Suggestions?

I've been giving thought to switching to a thumb release, primarily because I want something that I can keep clipped to my d-loop and have ready while I fiddle with camera gear. My wrist strap style release tends to bang around on my equipment and is often difficult to quickly clip on when it's time for the shot.

Anybody have any suggestions on best brands for that purpose? How difficult is the transition? I guess I have plenty of time to get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Carter Hammer. It just fits my hand well. Many out there!
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Michael, I would highly recommend Carter. They make a wide range of thumb activated releases along with some tensio activated as well. The transition, while not easy, was well worth it for me. I personally shoot the Carter Wise Choice in the 3-finger model. I shoot more accurately/consistently now than I ever have.

As far as the transition, I watched a lot of John dudley’s Videos for tips. The best thing I did was make a “string bow”. Just cut a piece of string long enough to tie the ends together and get a loop as long as your draw length. Loop that over the thumb of the hand with which you hold your bow and clip on your release. You can then imitate drawing a bow and coming to your correct anchor position. Once you get comfortable anchoring, you can start firing your release by using back tension.

There are folks much better than I am at explaining this. Again, John Dudley has some great stuff.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
LiftAndShoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

I have a goofy and underdeveloped shooting form and I shot a trigger release for two years. I recently started practicing with a truball thumb release and I immediately saw a difference. Something about the way it anchors and the way I'm able to feel the string placement really brought in my groups. If you want a 'budget' option to try before you plunge in headlong, maybe go with TB.

As a note, be careful. Real easy to accidentally thumb the release while you're trying to find your anchor point and shoot through your fence. I've heard. From a friend..
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by popup_menace View Post
Michael, I would highly recommend Carter. They make a wide range of thumb activated releases along with some tensio activated as well. The transition, while not easy, was well worth it for me. I personally shoot the Carter Wise Choice in the 3-finger model. I shoot more accurately/consistently now than I ever have.

As far as the transition, I watched a lot of John dudley’s Videos for tips. The best thing I did was make a “string bow”. Just cut a piece of string long enough to tie the ends together and get a loop as long as your draw length. Loop that over the thumb of the hand with which you hold your bow and clip on your release. You can then imitate drawing a bow and coming to your correct anchor position. Once you get comfortable anchoring, you can start firing your release by using back tension.

There are folks much better than I am at explaining this. Again, John Dudley has some great stuff.

I've always been a little leery of back tension for hunting, but I'll check it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Literally have been thinking the same thing, OP. In for input.
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
2050z
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson when drawn/Coryell/Scio Ohio/Unit 11 Kansas

I am switching this year to a Hot Shot Vapor. So far the transition has been pretty easy.
2050z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I've always been a little leery of back tension for hunting, but I'll check it out.

Agreed. That’s why I went with a thumb release. You still activate it with back tension, though.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Boss, I switched several years ago for this very reason, that and I think it is better at combating punching the trigger. I clip my Chocolate Addiction to my d loop and my bow stays at the ready all the time while stand hunting. I did make one slight mod to it. From spot and stalk type of hunts while using a wrist strap release, I'd shoot, drop the release in order to grab another arrow, then swing the release back into my shooting hand... Well with the new thumb release, I did that and promptly lost the release... had to go back and look for it a couple times... I served some dacron braid to the third finger groove (mine's a 4 finger release) and left the ends hanging far enough out to tie a loop that allows me to loop it on my wrist... No more lost release. I also use it when I take the release off my string at the end of the hunt, I use the hanging string to loop the release to the riser of the bow just like I always did with the wrist strap... I have a spare release if you'd like to try it. I'd be happy to send it to you to experiment with. PM me and we can work out details of getting it to you.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

I'm a real big fan of Carter releases, my personal favorite is the Chocolate addition. Clip it on the loop, let it hang, always ready when you need it. The adjustability is awesome with the variety of spring combinations. Run it hot with no springs, run just one or any combination of the three that are supplied. Fully adjustable trigger travel as well.

As far as the transition I found it to be fairly easy. 1) I feel like I pull through peak weight easier 2) I feel like I hold better at full draw 3) I find I have a more repeatable anchor with the release as well. Only draw back is it took me several years to switch but I'm very glad I did.

Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 01-30-2018 at 02:41 PM.
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #11
Outlaw_6
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LA and "The H"

It will take some time to learn to activate it properly but once you do, you will be glad you did.

I recommend anything from Carter. I like my Target 4 but I do shoot it like a three finger instead of a four finger. I would get a three finger if I had to do it again.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #12
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Best thing i ever did! I shoot the Chocolate addiction. Never tried anything else, but have been more than pleased with it.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #13
Bigdaddy
Ten Point

carter is the only way
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #14
txhunter83
Ten Point

Hunt In: S Texas

I just made the decision to switch, trying to solve a trigger punching issue by re-learning how to shoot with a different style release. I went with the STAN Perfex. Guy at Texas Archery said STAN or Carter were the way to go, he uses STAN and it has more adjustability, so I went with it.
txhunter83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #15
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

I went to a thumb release 12 years ago and have never looked back. My favorite is a Carter Insatiable but I have a Target 3 for a back up.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #16
Miller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Laredo

I switched a little over a year ago, but more to go to a resistance release and then move to a thumb...that is another topic.

I tried and used a lot of thumb releases. I ended up on the Nock 2 It and the Stan Perfex. Both were great, but I give the nod to the Stan Perfex, because of all the adjustments you can make to it. I also liked the shorter neck and open hook on it. The open hook was just better for me for elk hunting/spot and stalk situations. On the new version of the Stan Perfex the neck is longer like most releases and you can hang it from your d loop.

I did not like 4 finger releases. I preferred the ones that were 3 finger or 2 1/2.

I practiced a lot in the evenings with just a "string bow" (which can land you some ridicule from your wife and kids ) around the house and did a lot of blind bailing to get use to it. That seemed to help the transition a lot for me. I am very happy I switched and it made shooting much more fun.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #17
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

If you do switch, make the full commitment. A lot of folks try it then bail as soon as they have their first misfire. You will have on. Most usually do. But if you make the necessary bow changes that go with the release your shooting will improve.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #18
CamoQuest
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

T.R.U. Ball, Stan, and Carter all produce high quality thumb releases. Each have their own merits, and depending on which model, infinite methods of adjustability. Picking one is about like picking a bow: personal preference. I would recommend trying as many as you can before committing to one. Borrow one, see if your local shop carries any... Spending a little more and getting a quality release is worth it, IMO, or finding one you like and then shopping for a used one.
CamoQuest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #19
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I want to give this another try as well. I picked up a TruBall thumb release a few years ago but it doesn't quite fit me too good and it wasn't comfortable. My biggest fear was releasing while drawing my bow, and where I was shooting I didn't have much of a backstop. Because of that I didn't give it much of a chance. I will say, it is VERY different.
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #20
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I switched a couple years ago for a very similar reason. I also like the "power" I feel as I draw my bow. To me it feels more powerful, which means I can draw my bow smoother and easier. There are two types to consider. Most of them have a thumb "pull", meaning you pull your thumb back to release. Personally, I like the thumb "push". I shoot the Tru Ball with the thumb push. Much harder to find but it just feels better to me.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #21
Big Red 82
Ten Point

carter chocolate addiction you will not regret this move,accuracy will improve a lot.
Big Red 82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #22
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Tru Ball Max 4 Hunter. Will never go back.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #23
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Can’t go wrong with anything Carter Michael! I own a few and love all of them. They even come with tension springs for poundage adjustment. I can find the models I have that are my favorite and add them later when I get home.

Sierracharlie out…
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #24
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default Thinking of Switching to Thumb Release. Suggestions?

I like thumb release much better! I have one and would recommend a Carter also. If you have it adjusted so there is no travel, and you use proper back tension, you never have to “pull” the release. Just wrap your thumb around the trigger and compress your back. It will go off on its own!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Bisch; 01-30-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #25
IbeHuntn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Live oak County

Nothinbutwelves is absolutely right, its not a back tension release but thumb activated and it will tighten up your groups
IbeHuntn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #26
drbonner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

Pm sent
drbonner is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #27
docmay
Pope & Young

I am another one that will give a Carter recommendation. I have gone to thumb releases for almost all my shooting for the past 4-5 years. The only time I pull out a wrist strap is if going over 80 lbs of draw weight. I shoot the Chocolate Addiction Lite and the Insatiable 2. I have shot the Target models and the Wise Choice as well. I have big hands and on the smaller releases my thumb would contact my index finger and it didn't feel right. Try to shoot a few and see what fits your hand best. I agree with the others in that a thumb release gives you a better anchor and better form. I also think it is harder to punch a thumb release. Buy a good one and enjoy improved shooting and less clanging with your gear!
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #28
Homer75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette county

I believe there are aftermarket wrist straps that you can get if your not in a stand. You can also use para cord and make one, just like the wrist bands.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #29
Csmith52779
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon Co and Madison Co

I have a Scott sigma and like it a lot. Carter makes good releases too.
Csmith52779 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #30
Killem all
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

Switched to the Carter Target about 8 years ago due to deer walking across the shooting window at First Point a litlle quick. Havent looked back since. Love it
Killem all is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #31
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX

Carter Too Simple here. I like it but it will affect your draw length.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #32
Brinkley
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman/Hardin County

Do not overlook Hot Shot. Great releases and wonderful customer service.
Brinkley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #33
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

I had a carter just b cuz. I really liked it, but I could never be consistent with it, and found myself rushing the shot just like a with regular release. so I went back to a back tension with a click and it made a world of difference for me
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 08:05 PM   #34
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

I have a carter chocolate lite nd its great. Nice crisp trigger
mikeyb_23 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #35
Larryf250
Ten Point

Hunt In: Illinois / Goliad

Docmay said it. Shoot a few and find the one you like. I shot probably 10 at Bowzone and ended up with a Carter.
Larryf250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #36
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

I have a Stan SX2 4 finger and I love it. I doubt I'll ever be able to shoot any other.
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 08:13 PM   #37
Ttechhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes Co.

Stan SX3....excellent hunting release. It breaks like glass.
Ttechhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 08:20 PM   #38
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGraves View Post
Carter Too Simple here. I like it but it will affect your draw length.
How so? I am also looking to go to a thumb release.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #39
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
How so? I am also looking to go to a thumb release.
It doesn't. But with that being said,it will affect the anchor point you have become accustomed to, which may have been too long to begin with. You more than likely will have to shorten your d loop, and move your peep up the string some.

once you find your new repeatable anchor,shooting becomes second to aiming. And IMO if you actually apply pressure from your thumb to activate the release, then you are doing it wrong and miss the point entirely. There should be no noticeable movement from the time you anchor until the time your shot goes off.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #40
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I figured it would affect my anchor point. the two styles are different and the way the hand touches the face is different. Not it will change my draw length or have to move my peep up. But...I have not tried one, so I may be all wet on that assumption.

I will give it a try to see how I like it. I think I will, just need the trigger time.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #41
Double L
Pope & Young

I've been very satisfied with my Carter's. I own the Chocolate Addiction, Just Cuz and Nock 2 It. You are welcome to try them out if you happen to be up this way.
Double L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #42
Michael
Administrator

Thanks for the great responses! I'm on a "layover" in the metroplex tonight and am going to try to run up to CCR in the morning before I head to Midland to see what they have available. I don't have my bow with me, but hopefully I can get a feel for a few models.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:16 PM   #43
KingsX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion ,Tom green co.

I use a Carter Easy One 4 finger.
I bet within a few days you’ll adjust to it and start to get used to it.
You really can’t go wrong with a Carter and if you don’t like it the resale value on a Carter is really good.
CCR is a great idea to get a feel for a few releases in your hand.

Last edited by KingsX; 01-30-2018 at 10:21 PM.
KingsX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 11:24 AM   #44
Michael
Administrator

I made a quick detour to CCR this morning. Chris helped me out with suggestions based on what I need and offered tips on making the transition and how I might change my form for best results (many of the same things y'all have suggested!) I fondled several models from multiple brands, including Scott, Truball and Carter. Chris even let me try out one of his personal releases (after changing it from left to right handed). I'm actually amazed that even slight differences in options may be more suitable for exactly what I want to accomplish than a seemingly similar option. (As an example, Chris pointed out why the way a certain release clips to the loop, which I thought I wanted, might actually be more detrimental for my needs than what I thought.)

Right now I'm leaning toward the Carter Just B Cuz over the very Target 3.

I'm in no rush, so I'm going to keep researching before I punch the proverbial trigger! Jeff will ship it to me when I make my final decision.

Oh yeah, Jeff was helpful, too, in soliciting Chris' expert opinion!

Seriously, I enjoyed chatting with Jeff and Joe and catching up with great friends that I just don't get to see enough!

Jeff was helping another customer (an archery newbie) when I thought about grabbing a pic, so pardon the sniped selfie!

Thanks again for all the valuable input on this thread. Keep the suggestions coming if there's anything I may have missed!

Old 01-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #45
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Great info!

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #46
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I like my TRU Ball Fang, 3 finger. I use the thumb, too, for the same reasons. I don't like having to fumble around with a finger trigger, trying to find the Dloop in the dark while hunting hogs, and I could go on and on.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 12:11 PM   #47
letsgoboys8204
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress,Colorado

I SHOOT Chocolate addiction IT HAS BEEN GREAT
letsgoboys8204 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #48
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

I shoot the target 3 Michael and love it. I also shoot the Simple 1 and really like it as well. The lock system on the Simple 1 I prefer though

Sierracharlie out…
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 04:23 PM   #49
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Good to see ya MM and in reference to your comment above, I know my limitations. . I’m sure most here think I’m a know it all, but I just play one on the Internet.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #50
Chillywilly24
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Kimble county

Silverback to check my form, and for a hinge I use a Stan blackjack.
Chillywilly24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top