Container/Conex Tiny house build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Container/Conex Tiny house build

I have always thought tiny houses were cool and versatile. So I figured why not make one out of a 40’ high cube container. This build will take several trips to complete. Only working between morning and afternoon hunts while at the ranch.
    I already had the container…just needed an idea. While eating wings with a buddy at hooters we drew out some layouts of the inside of the conex. There’s the idea!
    I decided my goal was to have an AC, full bathroom, 2 sets of bunk beds and a kitchen. I also had to have enough storage for either a Polaris Ranger crew with a tailgate feeder….or an SUV like a Toyota 4 Runner to be parked/locked in. Also as much shelving as possible for storage!
    So we have a house and a garage so to speak though really it’s secure storage. The plans were initially being drawn on bev naps at the hooters bar, because we are professionals. We decided if we were going to do this we needed to build it right, and that meant we needed a good set of architectural plans. Not a problem, as soon as we got back to the ranch we grabbed a red construction pencil and a piece of cardboard. NOW WE HAVE professional plans 😂!
    I’ll attach a picture of our plans. Or the initial plan. As you know, in construction, sometimes plans change.

First trip:
    On to the construction portion. This weekend between hunts we decided to start the construction. First things first, remove everything from inside the conex. After that we started framing the very back wall (The small wall on the opposite side of the large doors). Once that was done we framed each side wall. Then the living/ garage divider wall. Next we framed all the ceiling joists and pressure blocks. Lastly we framed up the kitchen and shelves. I have pictures of everything except the small kitchen and shelves. Was too tired to take pics on the 3rd day between hunts. So far I would say we have about 14 hours. We were able to frame everything except one wall in the bathroom in one 3 day weekend between hunts. Awesome progress in my mind. Hope y’all enjoy the pics. Won’t be working on it this weekend but I will update after our next trip when we want to bring tools. Next trip will be plumbing the bathroom and kitchen sink and hopefully electrical rough.

***originally when I bought the container I had a solid metal door 7’x3’ installed (Entire frame welded) at 14’ from the back doors on the container. I took some advice on where to install that door and I’m glad I did. I can drive the ranger in the container and exit the walk door easily. Don’t have to hassle with squeezing along the side of the buggy and back door AND it also allows easy entry into the container without having to open the large back doors. Double winner! I also had large screened louvered vents installed in opposite corners to allow air flow.

In for the progress pics!

Comment

Pics

Pics
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Bourland; 11-22-2021, 08:13 PM. Reason: Add pics

Comment

Keep posting pics of the progress.

Comment

Many amazing builds have been thought about and discussed while eating wings at Hooters. Your Container/Conex Tiny house build will stack up to the best of them. That word is spelled b-e-s-t and it doesn’t rhyme with “rest” like some are thinking.

Good luck with this cool project Bourland. Looks like you have already made good progress on the framing. Keep posting pics, thanks for taking us along.

Comment

Very cool build! Currently halfway through a similar 40' buildout myself having two bedrooms without the storage. It's been a lot of work but believe it will be worth the effort over a typical RV in the end. Looking forward to your progress updates.

Comment

Original plan

It’s rough but here’s a original plan. We have modified this. More updates hopefully in a few weeks.
              Attached Files

Comment

Cool build!!!!

Comment

t

Comment

Nice

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                      Many amazing builds have been thought about and discussed while eating wings at Hooters. Your Container/Conex Tiny house build will stack up to the best of them. That word is spelled b-e-s-t and it doesn’t rhyme with “rest” like some are thinking.

Good luck with this cool project Bourland. Looks like you have already made good progress on the framing. Keep posting pics, thanks for taking us along.

#Agree

Will post as I’m able to work. Perfect way to kill time between hunts 🤘

Comment

are you going to insulate? how will you control condensation between metal and insulation?

Comment

Looking good. I'll be checking on this.

Comment

My advice as I did 13’ mule storage and rest living, give storage area two separate dedicated breakers(on for lights and plug other ac/heat) with wires pre ran.

When momma changes mind and wants a dedicated bedroom separate from kids, running wire back to the breaker isn fun

Comment

Insulate

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                              are you going to insulate? how will you control condensation between metal and insulation?
                              Yessir. I’m going to batt insulate it. My plan for walls is 1/2” plywood because it’s strong and I can hang anything I want on it. I have some secrets for finish out that I’ll reveal when we get that far.
                              The container is waterproof so the hope is that the AC will pull any condensation out.

The only penetrations so far are the vents and doors. I won’t punch any holes in the roof and plumbing will be punched through the bottom, or through the side at the very bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X